[SOLVED] just finished a build, dram light on power up and boot light comes on help please

Jun 4, 2021
Recently finished a computer build not being fully computer smart I encountered some problems which i havent been able to troubleshoot.

both the dram and boot light have appeared on my motherboard when powered up aswell as my gpu fans are not spinning when starting up however give a quick few rotations when powered down not sure if this is intentional. Ive tried everything from updating the bios to no avail but possibly may be desktop ready anyways.

Checked and reseated DIMM in seperate slots to test if they're damaged at all . Removed the GPU and reseated it aswell as checking power cables but nothing is seeming to work, There is even no display coming to my monitor which Ive tried both a DP and HDMi cable but nothing... My specs are below

Mobo - Asus b550f
GPU - Powercolor 6700xt 12GB AMD card
PSU- RM750 corsair
AIO- Kraken x53
RAM- Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb 3200MHZ
SSDs- 1TB samsung evo plus 970 and a 500gb of the same SSD which I was hopefully gonna use for the operating system :(

Sorry for possible vague details but Ive been up all day trying to troubleshoot this thing hahaha. Any help is massively appreciated.

Solution
Hahaha apologies, the CPU I am running is the Ryzen 5 5600x I’ve been told it’s possible you don’t need to flashback with bios but anyways I loaded a bios file to a external HDD and attempted to flashback the bios off there when clicking the button it flashes green theee or four times then goes to a solid green... I’ve heard usually it should be flashing until it turns the light off completely to show a bios flashback had been done.

Flashback is done using a USB connected to the correct flashback port on your rear I/O panel. Page 2-12 in your MB manual.
The USB needs to be formatted to FAT32 single partition.

Download Bios version 2401 to your desktop and rename the file to RSB550FG.CAP then transfer the file to your empty...
Jun 4, 2021
Hahaha apologies, the CPU I am running is the Ryzen 5 5600x I’ve been told it’s possible you don’t need to flashback with bios but anyways I loaded a bios file to a external HDD and attempted to flashback the bios off there when clicking the button it flashes green theee or four times then goes to a solid green... I’ve heard usually it should be flashing until it turns the light off completely to show a bios flashback had been done.

Flashback is done using a USB connected to the correct flashback port on your rear I/O panel. Page 2-12 in your MB manual.
The USB needs to be formatted to FAT32 single partition.

Download Bios version 2401 to your desktop and rename the file to RSB550FG.CAP then transfer the file to your empty USB.

Insert the USB to the usb port for Flashback and depress the flashback button for 3 secs and let it do it's thing. It takes a couple of mins to complete till the Flashback light goes out. Should the light stop flashing and stays lit then there is an issue and flashback has failed.

Reactions: Luke Blow
Solution
Jun 4, 2021
Brilliant, I think I may have formatted my external HDD wrong I originally saw a video detailing what you’ve described but the format setting was something along the lines of (FAT) but I couldn’t format to fat32 so that is probably the cause I shall have a look when home thanks for the help will let you know what happens

Jun 4, 2021
hi there I got a usb stick formatted to fat32 and followed your instructions but once again I pressed the flashback button it flashed a few times then to a solid light, computer still isn’t posting :(

hi there I got a usb stick formatted to fat32 and followed your instructions but once again I pressed the flashback button it flashed a few times then to a solid light, computer still isn’t posting :(

The usual problems with an unsuccessful Flashback are wrong format or failure to rename the Bios file correctly. On occasion the flashback USB is not working cause the USB has been inserted into the wrong port or has been attempted to run with the system still running. The system needs to be powered down with just power to the MB.
If your Bios chip is corrupted you can try to recover it using the DVD that came with your MB. Failing that you will have to send the MB to ASUS for a new Bios.
It is possible to flash your Bios using EZ Flash3 utility within your Bios however you must be able to access Bios for that. If POST is not happening then no access to Bios.

Last edited: