[SOLVED] Just finished building my pc and whenever I enter a game the gpu useage goes to 100% with 75 Celsius tempeture, and the pc makes a strane sound,

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
It sounds like a cable is getting brushed by one of the case fans, but i checked it and i found no contact near the fans. Also, when i exit the game the sound immediately goes away.
I can try recording it, but i doubt that it can be heard from the video.

My Build:
i9-9900KF ( brand new)
MSI-Z390-A PRO (brand new)
ID-COOLING FROSTFLOW-X240 AIO (brand new)
G.SKILL AEGIS. 2x8 GB DDR4 (used, from my old pc worked fine there)
MSI GTX 1080TI 11GB gaming x(also from my old pc worked fine there no noise good temp)
CORSAIR 275R AIRFLOW ( Brand new)
3 case fans that came w/ the case and 1 Artic F12 pwm
CoolerMaster MasterWatt 650w (brand new)

Solution
Try blowing out the connectors and PCIe slots in case of dust.
Even try clearing CMOS.

Aside from the coil whine, I'm not seeing anything unusual.
Even when you took the screenshot of the game running in the background, the usage had gone way down, which it's supposed to do.
If it's only doing something in game, there's not much I think it could be:
-A gpu miner running at the same time you run the game. Ok, this one would be weird - if anything, it would be trying to run when you're not doing anything. Gpu usage would've been up even with the game running in the background.
-The games are cracked, and some cracks are bound to have bugs - ones that may never get fixed.
-Bad psus can cause some funky stuff to happen besides sudden shut...

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Double check in game settings. There's nothing high about 75C for that card.
Tested it in multiple games, all settings set to low. Got in the menu coil whine came up, the GPU usage instantly jumped to 100%, temp rose really fast. Should I try to reinstall drivers, or just reinstall the whole GPU?

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Looks like there may be a faulty or busted sensor at play: There's no gpu voltage reading.
It can't be at 1848mhz, 200-something watts and 0mv.
Warranty has expired, I'll try to reinstall the card and the driver tomorrow. If that doesnt fix it, any idea how to isolate the faulty part and fix it?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If that doesnt fix it, any idea how to isolate the faulty part and fix it?
I don't know. The most hands-on I've gotten with a gpu is take it apart, brush it clean with a soft paintbrush, and mount a different cooler on it.

Also should i try a bios update?
That comes with the possible risk of losing the entire gpu if it fails. A faulty sensor is nothing compared to that.

Reactions: Najanaja

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
I don't know. The most hands-on I've gotten with a gpu is take it apart, brush it clean with a soft paintbrush, and mount a different cooler on it.

That comes with the possible risk of losing the entire gpu if it fails. A faulty sensor is nothing compared to that.
I just noticed, whne I turn on the PC the ez debug led vga lights up on the motherboard.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
That light can be so darn vague at times...
Download and run Gpu-Z. Take a screenshot of the Graphics Card tab.
Then click the Sensors tab. Stretch out the window as needed so all the parameters fit within said window, and screenshot it.
Post both through imgur.com

Windows at least recognizes it's a 1080Ti, right?

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
That light can be so darn vague at times...
Download and run Gpu-Z. Take a screenshot of the Graphics Card tab.
Then click the Sensors tab. Stretch out the window as needed so all the parameters fit within said window, and screenshot it.
Post both through imgur.com

Windows at least recognizes it's a 1080Ti, right?
Yes Windows recognizes the gpu, images in next post.

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
Something isnt working properly in my pc and i cant seem to fix it, they might be able to, but ill try reinstalling the card again and sweeping the dust off the pcie connectors

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Try blowing out the connectors and PCIe slots in case of dust.
Even try clearing CMOS.

Aside from the coil whine, I'm not seeing anything unusual.
Even when you took the screenshot of the game running in the background, the usage had gone way down, which it's supposed to do.
If it's only doing something in game, there's not much I think it could be:
-A gpu miner running at the same time you run the game. Ok, this one would be weird - if anything, it would be trying to run when you're not doing anything. Gpu usage would've been up even with the game running in the background.
-The games are cracked, and some cracks are bound to have bugs - ones that may never get fixed.
-Bad psus can cause some funky stuff to happen besides sudden shut offs and restarts, or so I've read.

Solution
fwiw, afterburner is reading 0mV because that is an offset. it should read 0mV if you are not manually boosting/cutting the voltage, so the reading that OP is getting in afterburner looks to be normal.

let me amend that because my statement is incorrect. it is possible you haven't turned on voltage monitoring in afterburner - i don't believe it is enabled by default. go into settings and turn it on - it's right there in the "general" settings tab in afterburner. don't mess with voltage control, leave that unchecked.

see here "unlock voltage monitoring" and the other related items that are checked here under the "Compatibility" section:

NoiGPU.jpg.07933904050c39777840081a4e6e8a25.jpg

Last edited:
when you alt-tab to the desktop, the gpu is no longer rendering 3d graphics, so the gpu usage goes down, gpu clock goes down, power usage goes down, temp goes down, etc. That's normal. The coil whine is going to scale with the gpu usage/clock frequency. You can try a different psu to see if it plays nicer with your gpu. cap your framerate so it doesn't whine while in the menus. check what your max expected fps is while in-game and put the cap a bit above that. or try vsync of some flavor, whatever your system supports, so the framerate doesn't go bonkers in the menu. you may have to live with some degree of coil whine if you can't try a different gpu or psu. some people have isolated the components that whine and immobilized them with glue that is safe for electronics. beware of corrosive adhesives like silicone used in construction, which gives off acid during the curing process. that will ruin your circuit board and or the electronic components.

Last edited:

Najanaja

Reputable
Oct 23, 2019
when you alt-tab to the desktop, the gpu is no longer rendering 3d graphics, so the gpu usage goes down, gpu clock goes down, power usage goes down, temp goes down, etc. That's normal. The coil whine is going to scale with the gpu usage/clock frequency. You can try a different psu to see if it plays nicer with your gpu. cap your framerate so it doesn't whine while in the menus. check what your max expected fps is while in-game and put the cap a bit above that. or try vsync of some flavor, whatever your system supports, so the framerate doesn't go bonkers in the menu. you may have to live with some degree of coil whine if you can't try a different gpu or psu. some people have isolated the components that whine and immobilized them with glue that is safe for electronics. beware of corrosive adhesives like silicone used in construction, which gives off acid during the curing process. that will ruin your circuit board and or the electronic components.
I could live with the coil whine tbh, but the bigger problem is not getting enough fps in games. I got more frames with my older setup, which was much weaker. And we are talking about Leauge of Legends which isnt known for being a game that requires a nuclear power plant... With my new setup I get only around a 100 fps and w/ my older one I avarged around 180. Same settings, v-sync turned off.