[SOLVED] Just finished building my pc but it keeps booting to bios ?

Donster84

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
Hi just just finished building my pc and did the first windows install and such got into windows no problem updated drivers and so forth. I restarted to finish the updates and it boots to the america megatrends screen listing all my parts and so forth and at the bottom says to press f1 to run setup which takes me to the bios.
I have already set it to boot option 1 but even after saving and exiting it does it all over again. The only way to get to windows is to manually select the bootable drive in boot override and it starts up normally into windows for example im typing this on the same pc but every time i turn it on or restart i have to manually go to the boot menu in the bios and select the drive to get to windows
i already installed windows on a different drive and it does the same thing. No matter what drive or usb i put in the boot option 1 and save and exit it just sends me back to the bios, lastly i already updated the bios and any drivers that needed to be updated. Don't know if im just an idiot and missing something but any help would be great. All pc parts i used listed below:

Asus ROG Z490 e gaming mobo
EVGA 2080ti
Two crucial m.2 drives
and one samsung ssd
finally 32 gigs of vengeance pro ram from corsair.

Solution
It is a cpu fan error. Are you running a water cooler? If so you need to ignore the rpm on the cpu fan in bios, save and you should boot. That is assuming you are plugging your water cooler pump and fans into a dedicated header.

Donster84

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
What is boot option 1 set to ? I believe it should be Windows Boot Manager for an NVME boot.
the first time i installed windows it was to one of my nvme drives and set to the boot option 1 but did the same thing. the boot option 1 never changes from what i put it as but for whatever reason it just doesn't use it or something, i am stumped. as for my second attempt at installing windows its on my Samsung ssd and set to it in the boot option 1 but get the same result

Donster84

Honorable
Feb 10, 2015
Here is the first screen its loads to: View: https://imgur.com/jDinNVy

from there i go to the bios and got to the boot menu: View: https://imgur.com/h12X9DV

I didn't think anything at first because i was rushing to get to windows but when looking at the boot drive in the drop down menu and in the boot override it list my sdd as m.2 as seen in the photo above. I thought i might have made a mistake and installed windows and my second m.2 nvme drive so i tested by unplugging my Samsung ssd to make sure and ran it again but the same thing with he bios but when i went to override it i got a windows error stating a device cant be reached/not connected properly and listed off options to repair, go back to the bios and so forth. so i plugged my ssd back in and tried again by doing the boot override and goes into windows normally so i know its definitely installed onto my ssd but i dont know if this is related or not or if that is how its normally named in the bios.

jasonf2

Distinguished
It is a cpu fan error. Are you running a water cooler? If so you need to ignore the rpm on the cpu fan in bios, save and you should boot. That is assuming you are plugging your water cooler pump and fans into a dedicated header.

Last edited:
Reactions: Donster84
Solution

jasonf2

Distinguished
THANK YOU. a friend told me to ignore that because i had a water cooler so i didnt pay any attention to it. i feel like an idiot for listening to that advice.
I did a first generation threadripper build with a water cooler rig on it a while back. Had post issues with it every time after updating bios. Just make sure to remember that you will need to change it after bios updates and you will be fine.

TRENDING THREADS