Jul 9, 2018
Just finished building a computer for my brother using:

Intel i5 8600k
Gigabyte RTX 2070
Asus Rog Strix B360H Gaming motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16Gb ram
450W Corsair psu

A full description of the issue:

I built this PC with my brother just this morning using the components listed above, and after completely putting it together we decided to turn it on for the first time and see what happened. I plugged it in and switched the psu on, and the motherboard immediately lit up so I assumed we were in business. I press the power button and the fans start spinning and the computer generally sounds as if it’s booted up. I’m pretty excited it’s gone smoothly at this point so I plug the hdmi cord into the graphics card and get no signal on the monitor even after waiting 5 min or so. My first thought is not to panic, maybe it won’t pick up the graphics card off the bat (same thing happened when I built mine) so I powered off, switched the HDMI to the port on the motherboard, powered back on and still get no signal. At this point I’m starting to get nervous so I check the graphics card just for fun and notice that the fans aren’t spinning at all and it’s giving no signs of life for such an expensive graphics card. I’ve done my homework on issues like this, so I immediately powered off and made sure everything was connected properly including the ram, card, psu connections to the motherboard and card, etc. then power back on and still nothing. I’m concerned the graphics card was shipped dead at this point which would be very disappointing given the price obviously and the hassle, but I’m also concerned there are bigger issues here since nothing I try seems to fix it. I also tried a dvi cable from the motherboard to the monitor because this motherboard doesn’t have vga.

Any help is very much appreciated, I’m kind of freaking out over here. Thanks!

Solution

No, having an OS is not necessary to get a display or get to the BIOS. Just recheck the GPU power connectors one last time, make sure you aren't using the CPU power...
Okay, first of all, turn off the PC, plug the monitor into the graphics card port, and make sure all the power connectors required by the GPU are plugged in. Then turn the system on. With a GPU installed, the motherboard video ports normally get disabled, and since you plugged the monitor in later during first boot, you might have missed the BIOS. Do you have any storage installed as of now? Does this storage have an OS installed?

The GPU fans should spin up as soon as you start the system, but a few second later they normally shut down, that's a feature of graphics cards - the fans don't turn at all when the GPU isn't under load, but they do spin up at startup.

Jul 9, 2018
Ok I’ve done that. Also worth noting, I’ve not seen the graphics card fans spin up at all, not even when first turned on. Also, the graphics card is technically rgb even tho it’s just the logo, and I’ve never seen it light up like it’s supposed to either. I’ve made sure all the psu connectors are plugged in properly multiple times with no luck. Also, I do have an SSD installed, but have not installed the OS yet since I can’t get anything to show up. Is it possible I need to plug in the disc drive and boot it with the operating system install disc in the first time?

No, having an OS is not necessary to get a display or get to the BIOS. Just recheck the GPU power connectors one last time, make sure you aren't using the CPU power connectors for the GPU, make sure the CPU power connector is plugged in, and try using a different PCI-E slot for the graphics card. If none of this works, you should probably RMA the graphics card.

P.S:Also make sure that a fan is plugged into the CPU_FAN header, otherwise some motherboards don't boot.

Solution