Question Just finished new PC now it won't boot

May 26, 2020
Hello,

I just finished building a new PC for a friend of mine today. I used a Corsair Carbide 100r case, a Corsair CX550 power supply as well as an Asus TUF B450-Pro Gaming Motherboard and an AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Processor. I turned on the power supply, plugged in the computer and tried to turn it on to see if it would boot. Nothing happened. No fan whirring, no sound, nada. The LEDs on the Motherboard are functioning and if I turn off the power they stop, so the motherboard works. I checked ASUS' website and found the exact pin connections for the Power button, the reset button, the power LEDs and the HD LEDs and I checked and rechecked the connection, still won't turn on. I checked the ATX cable and ATX12 v cable, took them out and plugged them back in to be sure it was connected. Everything looks good, but it won't turn on when I press the power button. What could be causing this?

Thanks!

May 26, 2020
GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5500 XT. It's correctly inserted into the PCI slot, the screws are in and it's connected to the power supply. I tried taking out the front plate to see if perhaps the wires were loose, they weren't. The case fan doesn't turn on either.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Double check that you don't have any extra stand-offs (mounting points) between the motherboard and case.

Also, look into the ATX I/O panel (back of system) to ensure nothing is sticking into your various ports.

This could be a short.

May 26, 2020
I just looked and I made sure all the screws were properly tightened and that there was nothing behind the motherboard. I found a loose screw in the power supply and I removed it. Still nothing. If I turn on the power supply, the LEDs on the motherboard start flashing, but when I turn it off they stop, which makes me assume the power supply is indeed working and the motherboard is powered. Is it possible the wires in the case are faulty?

EDIT: I just did a test using an old computer. I made sure it was turning on correctly when the wires from it's own case were in, then I took the wires from the new case and plugged them in to the old computer. Same result. I think the case might have faulty wires.

EDIT x2: Tried the same experiment only with the wires from the old case in the new motherboard. Nothing happened. I'm so confused.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020
I did another test. This time I was able to boot up the old PC with the new case. I still am not able to turn on the new one. I've tried again and again to connect the power and LED connectors to the correct pins as listed on the motherboard itself and ASUS' website, it won't start up. So is the motherboard the issue then?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Remove the motherboard from the case. Place on a non-conductive surface.

Attached/install the PSU, GPU, memory, and CPU (with heatsink). See if the system will start (connect to display as well). Want to rule out case.

Leading culprits are the motherboard and CPU at this point. Have you checked for bent/missing CPU pins?

May 26, 2020
Well one problem fixed, not another one. There is no display. I tried 2 different screens, I tried the motherboard's DVI connection, I tried the motherboard's HDMI slot and I tried the GPU's HDMI slot, the screen does not receive any signal.

May 26, 2020
The motherboard video ports will do absolutely nothing with a Ryzen 1600 (or any CPU not ending with "G"). What changed since your earlier message about booting?

When I said it booted, I meant it turned on. Previously, nothing would happen when I flipped the power switch. Now, the computer starts, the case fan and the CPU fan start. The GPU fans do start as well but turn off very fast (10-15 seconds after the computer is turned on). I also started with the HDMI port being connected to the GPU and it didn't work.

helpstar said:
Is it the AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or AMD Ryzen 5 1600 AF?

It's the AMD 5 1600 not the AF version

May 26, 2020
I am still stuck in no man's land and I don't know what's wrong. I have changed the GPU to a new GeForce GTX 1050 TI GAMING X, that didn't work. I took out the CMOS battery and replaced it with a new one, didn't work. I just bought a new power supply and it still won't show anything on the display. The computer starts up, the motherboard and the GPU light up, I can hear the DVD-ROM with a Windows CD working, I checked the screen with another computer's HDMI port and it worked. I reput in the RAM into the slots, even moved them to slots 2 and 4 instead of 1 and 3...I still can't get a display. What am I missing? Why won't this work?