Just got 100mbps internet connection, but when I download anything its only at 5mbps?

drkillk

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017
I just upgraded to 100mbps from 12mbps from ATT, Whenever I run a test It says around 40-50mbps which is normal I think, but whenever I download something from Steam or Origin, the highest speed I see is around 5mbps, with it going as low as 2mbps, any help? Thanks

Solution
steam can give you a lot more speed than that. i have a GB connection and easily get 100 MB/s from steam when downloading. so it's not them.

but do note the mb/s and MB/s are different. steam is giving you MB/s while your isp is quoting mb/s. 100 mb/s = 12.5 MB/s so you should not expect more than that.

also note that most plans state "up to ____" speed. they do not actually guarantee that you'll get the full speed you pay for in this case. do check your plan for such wording. most cable plans are like this and speeds vary on time of day and other stuff. in the evening when everyone else is online, you're speed will slow down. middle of the night when everyone is asleep, you'll likely get the best speeds. it's all in the fine...

USAFRet

Titan

Wired or WiFi?

5megabytes/sec from Steam = 40megabits/sec from your ISP.

drkillk

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

Wired, and I should be getting 100megabits from my ISP

drkillk

Prominent
Aug 7, 2017

From 100 to 50, half? I don't think so grasshopper.

Don't be such a pushover consumer, expect at least 90% of what was promised.

OTOH, if 50 is good enough for you, and there is not another carrier that will charge you $less for 50, then I guess we're stuck.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
steam can give you a lot more speed than that. i have a GB connection and easily get 100 MB/s from steam when downloading. so it's not them.

but do note the mb/s and MB/s are different. steam is giving you MB/s while your isp is quoting mb/s. 100 mb/s = 12.5 MB/s so you should not expect more than that.

also note that most plans state "up to ____" speed. they do not actually guarantee that you'll get the full speed you pay for in this case. do check your plan for such wording. most cable plans are like this and speeds vary on time of day and other stuff. in the evening when everyone else is online, you're speed will slow down. middle of the night when everyone is asleep, you'll likely get the best speeds. it's all in the fine print......

since your wired, i'd not expect distance issues but 5 MB/s may be normal for your area. check with your neighbors who have them and see what they get.

Solution