Question Just got a brand new PC, Ryzen 3700x is apparently preparing for takeoff

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi, just got my first (desktop) PC, only used it for a few hours and the thing is looooooouuuuud at all times. Almost certain it's the Ryzen/AMD cooler, as the BitFenix fans I chose aren't even moving. All I've done is browse the web so far but it's surprisingly making a ton of noise. Anything I can do to fix this?

Specs, if it matters:
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC
Ryzen 3700X
Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 16GB RAM 3200mhz
B450 Aorus Pro motherboard (non-Wifi)

Thanks in advance.

If the fans are not moving then there is probably a lack of air flow. That means they are probably not plugged in, I doubt all of them are faulty.

Did you pick a different cooler for the CPU or is it using the stock cooler?

Do you know if the system was overclocked or is it running at stock settings?

Personally I would have whoever built the machine look into the case fans not moving as they should be on almost always unless you have a fan curve setup and they are being PWM controlled but still would be odd as you always want fans bringing fresh cool air in and pulling old hot air out.

Reactions: digitalgriffin

Clueless1200

Reputable
Jul 5, 2016
If the fans are not moving then there is probably a lack of air flow. That means they are probably not plugged in, I doubt all of them are faulty.

Did you pick a different cooler for the CPU or is it using the stock cooler?

Do you know if the system was overclocked or is it running at stock settings?

Personally I would have whoever built the machine look into the case fans not moving as they should be on almost always unless you have a fan curve setup and they are being PWM controlled but still would be odd as you always want fans bringing fresh cool air in and pulling old hot air out.
It's using the stock cooler. I'm pretty sure it's running at stock settings, they never told me they'd be overclocking anything.

The two fans that come pre-installed in the case are moving, but I got two more to go at the front and they're just sitting there. I assumed that was normal since it's not under load or anything.

Unless there is a fan speed curve and unless things have drastically changed case fans normally are always running. Typically PWM allows for the fan to run between a minimum and maximum, so it will always run but at a minimum voltage and RPM.

The stock cooler on the other hand looks to be slightly loud:

https://www.hardocp.com/article/2018/05/15/amd_wraith_prism_cpu_air_cooler_review/3

Not the quietest so that may be the problem there.

Reactions: Exploding PSU
Sep 5, 2019
The two fans not spinning means they are not connected, which might be a cause of your problem(low airflow). Does the noise always stays at the same level or going from low to high when you do certain tasks? If it stays at the same level it means that cpu fan is set to DC mode instead of PWM mode in the bios.

It is my understanding that the Wraith Prism has switched from a copper core to an all aluminum design on the 3000 series. Edit: My bad, the wraith prism is still a copper bottom. It's the 3600 and below that went to an all aluminum design.

As a result the fans do run higher as it isn't as efficient at cooling. However it shouldn't be loud enough to be distracting. Sounds like you have improper case airflow. It's a 65 Watt part, you shouldn't have any issues cooling it at stock.

What are your Idle and Load CPU temps like?

Are there input and exhaust fans in use and connected for the tower in question? Edit: you mentioned some fans 'not moving' (presumably chassis fans?) If there are chassis fans in front/back of case, what are they connected to (i.e, mainboard headers)? It'd be hard not to imagine at least 3-4 fairly clearly labeled 'chassis/case fans' connection points with ready access.. (Some folks have mistakenly attached fans to USB headers, etc...)

(I'm hearing a semi-steady influx of complaints on fan noise from factory AMD coolers when RYzen 3600 and above are under any sort of load with factory cooler/sink...; perhaps it'd be time to research Mugen5 and Noctua options....?) In any event, perhaps the included fan might be adequate once there is at least some airflow in/out of the case....

Last edited: