Just got a new SSD, but can't shrink my main partition small enough to fit on it. What do I do?

DewiPayne

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I've installed windows again on my SSD at this point, and want to move all my data from my old hard drive to my SSD (There's enough space). But my HDD is running windows 10 and my SSD is on windows 7, so I can't find any software that works by moving data backwards. I can't just drag and drop because that doesn't seem to work. Any advice?

Solution

If you truly have only 200GB on your current drive, you do not need to shrink the partition to fit the SSD.
You just have to use the right software to do the clone thing.

Macrium Reflect will do this.
Get a bigger SSD would be one solution. Another would be not to move your data to the SSD. You haven't given any specifics about capacities or volumes, how much is used for this or that. Windows 10 in a clean install takes about 15 GB.

DewiPayne

Commendable
May 29, 2016
I have a 2tb hdd and a 500gb ssd. My main partition on my hdd can't be shrunk to less than 1tb despite it only having about 200gb of data on it. I'm not going to buy a 1 tb ssd just to have all my data on it. I just want all my windows data on my new ssd that I will be able to boot windows off and use my HDD as extra storage for games that i don't need to load fast or work documents.

USAFRet

Titan

If you truly have only 200GB on your current drive, you do not need to shrink the partition to fit the SSD.
You just have to use the right software to do the clone thing.

Macrium Reflect will do this.

Solution
Do you have 200 GB free on the SSD? Since Win 10 only takes 15 GB by itself, you've got 185 GB of stuff there that you could put on the HDD, then you could easily move something much smaller than 200 GB to the SSD, assuming you've got the space there. You could possibly create a partition on the SSD, do a clean install of 10 on it, install any needed drivers, then add the most used applications. Your data does not have to be on the SSD.