[SOLVED] Just Got AW2721D Monitor - Need Advice on Testing It

skyh

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
Hi
I just got an AW2721, and I want to evaluate it to make sure it's right for me. I last bought a monitor in 2010, so although I read a few articles just before buying the AW2721, I'm inexperienced with contemporary monitor tech.
Bad Pixels:
  1. How do I test for this?
  2. Are there test patterns or applications I should use?
HDR
  1. Where can I find (ideally free) HDR images, movies or applications to use?
  2. What should I look for?
sRGB
The AW2721 has no sRGB clamping, but I gather nVidia provides software sRGB clamping.
  1. How do I set up the nVidia sRGB clamping?
  2. As before, where do I get sRGB pictures, videos or applications to use to see how well the monitor avoids oversaturation? Applications specifically design to test for oversaturation would be extra-great.
  3. Maybe this is a dumb question, but what does oversaturation look like?
Thanks,
Chris

Solution
Quick test for dead pixels is to change your background color to green, red, and blue. There are also some full screen videos on youtube for that purpose. Unless you have a lot of dead pixels, particularly in the center of the screen, chances are it has already passed inspection and isn't applicable to RMA.

I would again check Youtube for HDR content. There are usually demo videos floating around. Very deep blacks and bright/dark transitions not losing any definition. IE dark cave in foreground, bright outside. The blacks should be blacks and the bright areas should still reveal all details.

Not entirely sure what that is, but I suppose it is a way to enable HDR and still have the monitor behave correctly for things like image...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Quick test for dead pixels is to change your background color to green, red, and blue. There are also some full screen videos on youtube for that purpose. Unless you have a lot of dead pixels, particularly in the center of the screen, chances are it has already passed inspection and isn't applicable to RMA.

I would again check Youtube for HDR content. There are usually demo videos floating around. Very deep blacks and bright/dark transitions not losing any definition. IE dark cave in foreground, bright outside. The blacks should be blacks and the bright areas should still reveal all details.

Not entirely sure what that is, but I suppose it is a way to enable HDR and still have the monitor behave correctly for things like image reproduction and media creation. I saw a few articles related to it for Nvidia, looks like people are doing it on their own? Might check Github for some source code you can compile.

Solution