Just got FlightSim2004... FPS inside.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
It just came out today, comes in a pimpin' metal box, and requires ~3 gigs of hard drive space!!! The graphics are UTTERLY AMAZING. Flying over New York at dawn from 6000 feet it utterly breathtaking. Flying through the Smoky Mountains is EXILHARATING Anyway, I tested it on an AMD2500+, 1 gig DDR333, ATi 9600 Pro (stock speeds) .

Now, these are not official benchmarks, and the speeds posted hereafter could change based on your weather setup and exact location. These are based on flying around the cities of Cleveland and New York, fair weather, max everything (including scenery complexity, water complexity, shadows, reflections, AutoGen scenery, texture detail, cloud detail/3d clouds, and lighting. Framerate limiter set to unlimited).

Cleveland - 1280x960x32 - No AA/AF ~55-75fps
- 1280x960x32 - 2x/8x ~35-50fps
- 1600x1200x32 - 6x/16x ~10-30fps.

One note, when flying, any view at high res with the 3d clouds causes noticeable slowdown. They are quite beautiful, though.

New York - 1280x960x32 - No AA/AF ~45fps
- 4x/8x ~25fps
- 1600x1200x32 - 6x/16x ~5-20fps

I found the sweetspot to be 1280x960x32, 2x/8x, because you have a smooth framerate, high res, and enough AA to make the scene smooth (enough). I will post more speeds based on different settings and locations later. Also, I will have tests on a Radeon 9800 Pro.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
it runs like crap on my 1700+ and TI4200 @ 550/275

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

Thanks for the info. It will be quite useful for my dad (may have to give HIM my card :smile: ) he loves Flight Sim.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Do you have some numbers? You can access the framerate counter by pressing Shift+Z twice (in case you didn't know). You got it today too? Cool, cool.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
What's your dad running now? (GF2?)

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Have you ever played the 2003 (or 2002?) one Daddywags? The tomsharware review stated that as of the time of testing, they noticed no graphical differences.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ill check it when i get home

i have a pre-release (from a friend who reviews games and got it directly from microsoft.. ) but its patched to teh current version

-------

<A HREF="http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001355.html" target="_new">*I hate thug gangstas*</A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
i dont notice any difference either

the landscape still has low detail textures when you fly close .. and compared to 2003 i honestly dont seea difference. MAYBE its my pre-release .. possibly the textures were lower in quality when they sent it to teh testers (my friend), and thast not something a patch would fix

-------

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I've played 2002, but not much. I do know that the clouds are vastly different. They move, morph, form, disappear, all that, and are in full 3d. The lighting effects are slightly improved, with the sun glaring on the water and such. Also, the water has some shine to it, and distorts the reflection of the sun as it flows. There are differences, but they're subtle, yet effective. Also, the terrain complexity is greater, and the AutoGen scenery is much better implemented. The weather effects are more atmospheric, too. One big plus is the addition of 9 new aircraft, taking the total from 15 to 24. Also, the several plane models have been replaced with new high-poly models. The cockpits are now in full 3d, too.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
The textures in my copy seem to be quite high quality. There is now another layer to the textures when viewing them up close, that gives it a bit more, well, texture. Not sure if that was in the tester version. Anyway, you can't expect to have ultra high quality upclose textures on a game of that scale because of the sheer size of the world. Sure has improved since '98, though.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Also ther is much more texture variety, that may be the biggest difference. I can't believe I forgot to mention that. And all of the terrain (mountains and such) now casts realtime shadows on itself, instead of just buildings. There are also far more detailed cities. Will, for instance, would probably recognize the rock'n'roll hall of fame in cleveland, with its huge slanted glass roof. By the way, Will, if you get this game, I'd really like to see some framerates on your 9800 Pro.

Goodness, I've made 3 posts in a row.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I want it really bad damnit, but I sure as hell aint gonna buy it! (I havn't bought a game in... um.. a long ass time). I WILL buy HL2 if it is neccessary. Why couldnt they release a demo of MSFS2003 damnit, I could at least see the graphics then.

Ah well.

Right now I'm dloading the full version of Midnight Club 2 [OMG check it out, awesome game, awesome graphics, AA dont work tho:(] off of Overnet (1337 program). I have cable but it still goes at between .5 and 4k a second most of the time lol. It'll probly finish in a week or 2... or 3.

Maybe I'll try dloading MSFS 2004... but thats HUGE!!! Hopefully I can find a good person to dload from.

What kind of pirate protection does it have daddywags, do you know? U could burn the discs and send em to me. I could get a cdkey or a crack, whatever I needed. As long as the cds burn correctly, theres always a crack:)

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
MC2=Midnight Club 2. I played it on Playstation 2. Good game. Hey Will, if you're lucky, you might be able to download it (FS2004) from me.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by daddywags214 on 07/30/03 11:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

HIS 'Win-Tel' box is a PIII 1+ghz (don't know EXACT speed) Sony with an GFMX (don't know which one) that came with the comp; he used to use it for video editing.
He has an older version of Flight Sim (professional one), and it's almost the only thing he still does with that machine. He has a joystick and yoke that he bought JUST for it. And he runs it on a nice Sony 19". IT's the ONLY game I think I've ever seen him play (other than testing my frogger, original quake, and a few others for ~15mins at a time) we've had every version since the one that came with our original 2 floppy IBM PC (well I think it's every one).
He has moved to (get ready to gasp) a MAC! He's got an I-mac G4 (with super-drive) and an I-book. He found it easier to use for editing (he uses Premiere [and I co-opted his Win version] so no big 'switch' issues), so the only thing that machine is for is THAT game.
I know he was looking at the new Flight Sim (I saw him look it over at FutureShop [it comes in a metal box right?]) and if this could help his hurting machine make it look better I'd really get a kick out of that.

Anywhoo, I'd really be happy if this does it for him. Maybe I can give him my OLD R9000 from my video rig, and then move the R9600P in there with the fireGL mod. Well all of that is AFTER the RV380/R420 comes out. So no rush. However I'd LOVE to see what it all looks like on one of those before I bring it back to Calgary, maybe I could pick it up directly from ATI in Thornhill and then test it before flying back (and thus save UPS). :smile:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <A HREF="http://www.redgreen.com" target="_new"><font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red></A> GA to SK :evil:

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
[GASP] A MAC??? They are good for video editing.

Anyway, FS2k4 does come in a metal box, which is seriously pimpin'. That 9000 pro would probably run it okay at low settings and low res. Maybe phial knows; he's got it runnin' on a Ti4200 64mb. That would be a slightly better basis for comparison than my 9600 pro.

eden

Champion
I believe the graphics are no different than the FS2002 version, and so if I were to theorize based on the 2002 Pro version performance on my Ti200, I'd tell you I'd get 30FPS average on medium detail at 1024*768. It's THAT bad, even when I freshly upgraded hoping to really see change!
I ain't touching FS2004 before I get something over a 9800PRO!

HECK, I'm going back to FS95, now THAT rocks! *nostalgia*
--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Eden on 07/30/03 10:16 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
They are different. Damn it Eden, I spent like 15 minutes explaining the differences. :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: !!! Anyway, the biggest differences are the clouds and weather. They are the biggest performance killers too.

I play FS98 @ 1600x1200, 6x AA/16x AF, maxed out and it still slams into the refresh rate frame limiter (85hZ=85fps).

At such high settings you can really appreciate the level of beauty in even the most ancient of games.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
How daddywags described it as about as exact as it gets.

Same engine, new sky, clouds, and weather, same textures, but better use of them, and better use of the city mapping etc., and more high detail areas, and new planes:)

Yeah, I'm not sure if the R9000 will help, but I have a feeling it's better than that 32mb GF-MX (whichever one!). However perhaps he WILL need something a little moe powerful to get max enjoyment out of it. I'm just not sure I can convince him too spend too much on an upgrade so it may be the R9000 or nothing. Anywhoo, I'll worry about it when I reach that point. I have a feeling that he is likely playing at low detail and low res. (although on a big screen) so I think anything would be an improvement.

EDIT: Hey, I'm an ORNERY POSER now! :cool:

Praesul

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2003
I thought they would launch it on 17.th december 2003, the 100.th anniversary of The First Flight (Wright Brothers 17. december 1903)... Well I´m happy it´s out, but I was planning on upgrading my video-card first, and I think I´ll wait a few months... :(

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=profile&mode=viewprofile&internal=1&username=Praesul" target="_new">System</A>

eden

Champion
You're right, I did skip through the thread LOL!

But that only means my gameplay will be worse, "sigh". :frown:
Still, I love FS95 for some reason, it's so simple, I like the instructor as well, "WATCH YOUR ALTITUDE" LOL. Love soaring on Munich Ridge with no sound in the Schweizer plane. For some reason the simplicity is nice, so as the simple training flight at Meigs.

Still can't believe that idiot bastard Mayor Daley is trying to destroy the nicest airport out there. :mad:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>The sexiest website ever, guaranteed XXX!!!</font color=blue></b></A> :wink:

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I got bad news Eden... Meigs field was destoyed recently... you didn't know that? That <b>BASTARDASSHOLE</b> of a mayor pooled his workers one night and had them sabotage the runway without any prior consent or forewarning. That <b>PRICK.</b>

<A HREF="http://friendsofmeigs.org/" target="_new">http://friendsofmeigs.org/</A>

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Mr Lee Spencer, you couldn't fake an orgasm let alone an ID. If you're the Pirate pretender then go play in another sand box -- I for one like to keep games developers employed and accept the price to play. If everyone we're as pathetic as you, we'd all be living in caves or long since extinct.