[SOLVED] Just got my first SSD (Samsung). Need help migrating JUST the OS from my Hard Drive

Jan 3, 2021
I've had my PC for years now using the same 1TB Hard Drive since I built it. I've just recently bought an SSD as I can't stand the long boot process.

Now my Samsung 860 evo SSD is 250gb, my hard drive is currently using 487 GB of storage. Using Samsung's data migration tool doesn't seem to allow me to transfer solely the OS (As there's no way 400+ of data is fitting). Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Image of my drive space: View: https://imgur.com/0rtXt8E

Solution
Can I leave out the Program Files? As that's where most of the space on the HDD is being taken up
Even if you could, that will absolutely break everything in there.
Seriously.

And no, in the SDM functionality you can't leave off that folder tree.

You have 3 options:
  1. Pare down your data size to below 200GB, and migrate what is left.
  2. Get a refund for that 250GB, and buy a 1TB 860 EVO.
  3. Clean install of the OS on the 250GB. Which means a reinstall of all your applications. Given the amount of data you have, this will be a pain.

USAFRet

Titan
There is no function or application to migrate "just the OS".

In the SDM, you can leave off static files in the Libraries (Doc/Music/Video/etc), but that's it. (and I seriously dislike that function)

You cannot split out just the OS.

Jan 3, 2021
There is no function or application to migrate "just the OS".

In the SDM, you can leave off static files in the Libraries (Doc/Music/Video/etc), but that's it. (and I seriously dislike that function)

You cannot split out just the OS.
Can I leave out the Program Files? As that's where most of the space on the HDD is being taken up

USAFRet

Titan
Even if you could, that will absolutely break everything in there.
Seriously.

And no, in the SDM functionality you can't leave off that folder tree.

You have 3 options:
  1. Pare down your data size to below 200GB, and migrate what is left.
  2. Get a refund for that 250GB, and buy a 1TB 860 EVO.
  3. Clean install of the OS on the 250GB. Which means a reinstall of all your applications. Given the amount of data you have, this will be a pain.

Solution
Jan 3, 2021
Thanks for all the help. It's mostly Steam that I need to deal with anyway. I'll just need to find a way to backup everything and get it off the C drive

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks for all the help. It's mostly Steam that I need to deal with anyway. I'll just need to find a way to backup everything and get it off the C drive
Well...Steam games are reasonably easy to manipulate.

If you have another storage device of sufficient space, copy the SteamApps folder off to that.
Hopefully this reduces your actual used space to below 200GB.
Then, migrate.

Then, in the Steam client, you can tell it where these games resources are.
Steam games location
In the steam client:
Steam
Settings
Downloads
Steam Library Folders
Add library folder
q24sFfe.png

To move an already installed game
Games library
Right click the game
Properties
Local Files
Move Install Folder

Jan 3, 2021
Thanks I will, I currently have no external hard drive so going to attempt to move all my data to a new Macbook and move it back once all this is finished.