Just got my h100i! How much should i be able to over clock with it?

Joshua Martinez

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014
Hi i juts got my new H100i and i got the Intel core i5-4670k, and for the motherboard i got the MSI Z87- GD85 GAMING Motherboard. I much i be able to over clock it to? while still being stable? Please let me know and thank you!

Solution
Firstly, welcome to the intel overclocking sector!

With your current setup, great you got a Z87 otherwise your "k" CPU would be useless, and a great CPU cooler. You can get 4.6Ghz quite nicely and with good temps, you will have to increase the core voltage by a bit but don't worry about "is it too high" as BIOS won't enable too high voltages, but best to only increase voltages by a small margin.
Firstly, welcome to the intel overclocking sector!

With your current setup, great you got a Z87 otherwise your "k" CPU would be useless, and a great CPU cooler. You can get 4.6Ghz quite nicely and with good temps, you will have to increase the core voltage by a bit but don't worry about "is it too high" as BIOS won't enable too high voltages, but best to only increase voltages by a small margin.

Solution

Joshua Martinez

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

Thanks for welcoming me! And now i will got install the cooler and overclock! Also for the stress test which program would you recommend?

Prime95 torture test, it'll run the cpu at 100% load and give it a true test for how good the cooler keeps the temperature, it'll test the CPU for sure. It is also good to test how good the overclock is, if it was not good, the screen will flicker and your computer may crash, but at 4.6Ghz, you should be fine.

For reference, I have a Intel i7 4930k running @ 4.9GHz, cooled by a Noctua NH-D14 SE2011, temps never go above 70 degrees, quite good indeed, great to see how your will perform.