Just got my NEW Ryzen 5 2600 from newegg, has brown/clear spots on it?

Megazord

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hey all, as the title says the CPU seems to have these strange spots on it. What are they? This is the first time I have built in about 7 years so I forget if this is just something routine. They look similar to burns, but that is probably an overkill judgment on my part.

Here are a few pictures: https://imgur.com/a/1DTcbe7

It's hard to tell in the pictures, but the spots are slightly more brown than clear. The rest of the CPU looks new - the pins are unbent and golden / pristine in color.

Should I just give it a clean before putting it in and applying thermal paste? Or is it something I should take more seriously and maybe consider returning? Just wanna make sure before I get my build started. Thanks

Megazord

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010

Yeah, ok. I posted this to multiple sites and you are the first to give this response. Reddit gave me the expected kneejerk response. I'm inclined to believe you more with your 43204328 badges, and being a member here for so long.

So I DID clean it off with some 91% isopropyl, and it went away. I can still see the shadow of where the discoloration was if you put light up to it, but otherwise it is gone. There are just some slight indents on all of the corners (these look like they were intentional or there because of manufacturing as well) and 1 small scratch that I don't remember seeing before today (I got it last week, posted this today despite my thread title since I haven't had time to look into it).

Before doing this after reading your post I looked up "discoloration on cpus" and found one specific post of a Ryzen 1700x with even worse discoloration issues and dents that looked worse that was sold new to him as well. I don't remember my old Intel i7 950 having any cosmetic defect/ other IHS issues when I got it. Would you say it is more of a discrepancy between how AMD produces their chips as opposed to Intel, manufacturing standards OVERALL going down in recent years, or something else?

Anyways, I'll give it a try when the rest of my parts come on Friday, I'd really rather not have to return & replace it with some of the other parts' return days wasting away.

Also, is there a way to check through software of some kind the life of usage that a cpu has been used for? Similar to figuring out the "on hours" for a hard drive? If such a program exists perhaps that could tell me definitively if it is used or not.

Unless you purchased a used or refurbished CPU, it should be a new sealed part.

t99

Honorable
Jul 16, 2014
The edges have marks that are normal, mine had the exact same thing.. got mine a week ago, used it stock for 3 days and replaced to a noctua.. when I replaced I saw what looked like a small scratch or two in the bottom right corner I think. Maybe from removing heatsink, nothing crazy, extremely minor and not deep, but something you can see. It's fine though running awesome.

I would highly recommend replacing stock cooler with the one below. I have this and added a cheaper riing 2 fan on the back (comes with clips to use any 120mm fan as a second fan) after 4 days of heavy gaming and benchmarks I have yet to even hit 60c.. I think I would need to do a stress test for like an hour to clear 60. So impressed with this thing and glad I spent the 60$ for it.

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u12s-se-am4

Noctua makes some very good products. I recommend them. I've used them for years without any problems.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If you feel uncomfortable with the processor due to the marks, you can try for a refund. But the retailer may not take it back once the seal on the box has been broke. 99% of all CPUs come in pretty pristine condition from my experience. Odd that the other person's 1700X was severely tarnished, tho. Almost like the box was stored in poor conditions. Wet, maybe. Flood damaged packaging, perhaps. Where did you get yours from?

If that was the case, the CPU box should also have evident water damage.

TRENDING THREADS