[SOLVED] Just got my used CPU from ebay broken

GLE365

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Can it be fixed? Reglued, solder? If not I will just get a refund.. Thanks for any help! Its in two pieces top metal part and base. I'll post a picture as soon as I figure out how..

Solution
You need to clean the surfaces well, both on the heatspreader and on the CPU. Wipe off as much as you can, and use isopropylalcohol to completely clean it off. If you need to, you can use a credit card as you suggest, I've previously used a razorblade, but then you have to be very careful of course.

But now I always just use toilet paper, isopropylalcohol, and quetips and / or cotton swaps.

Then you can apply your thermal paste.

If you reuse the thermal paste already applied, you risk creating small airpockets, which degrades the thermal properties of the paste resulting in poor heat transfer and consequently poor cooling properties
It has been delidded, a procedure where you remove the heatspreader (the top part), to be able to apply better thermal paste or liquid metal between the CPU and the heatspreader in order to improve cooling effciency - very often for better overclocking capabilities.

A delidded CPU should still be working, but in my opinion the seller should mention in his or her listing, that the CPU has been delidded.

Delidded cpus are used and operational. What was the exact description? It will be hard to impossible to get your money back if it stated anywhere in the add, title, or description that it had been delidded.

Which is exactly how it appears to me.

So link to ebay auction?

I'd recommend getting some liquid metal and reapplying it. The cpu probably is operational. And should run cool and overclock well.

As far as I can see, it isn't mentioned anywhere in the listing, that it has been delidded.

Interestingly, if you look at the picture, there are 2 CPUs on top of eachother - the lower one has clearly been delidded, as the heatspreader isn't on straight.

The top CPU looks normal to me, but you never know

Not the biggest of deals. Just got some artic silver for the heatsink mount.. so I can clean the lid and base with alcohol and apply pea size paste?
Yes, be very careful. And usually you want to use liquid metal or a high quality paste between ihs and die. Arctic silver would be ok for ihs to heatsink, but I'd use better on the die. Thermal grizzly conductonaut is one I'd recommend. There's a couple other liquid metals, but can never remember them by name.

I bet CPU is fine but underhanded way to offload to new buyer. I guess you could test it, and ya up to you if you are okay with condition to keep or send back.

I'm not sure I understand your reply to my comment, I never said the CPU is broken, but I commented on the picture from the Ebay Listing.

I wrote in one of my previous posts, that the CPU should be fine, even if it has been delidded.

It has been delidded, a procedure where you remove the heatspreader (the top part), to be able to apply better thermal paste or liquid metal between the CPU and the heatspreader in order to improve cooling effciency - very often for better overclocking capabilities.

A delidded CPU should still be working, but in my opinion the seller should mention in his or her listing, that the CPU has been delidded.

For some, it would even make the CPU more attractive that it has been delidded, then you don't have to mess with it yourself, if you were planning on overclocking it.

I'm sorry if I'm misinterpreting your comment, english isn't my first laguage, and sometimes I reead it in the wrong way.

EDIT :
I still think, however, that it is unethical to try an sell a CPU as being completely fine, although in used condition, without mentioning that is has in fact been delidded.

Even the picture for the listing, the picture I commented on, the delidded CPU is positioned below a completely stock looking CPU.

I don't find that very honest, no matter how well the CPU is working.

Personally I would probably keep it, although I would consider the fact, that when a CPU is delidded to reduce thermals, it often means it has also been run at fairly high voltages

Last edited:
Reactions: stonecarver

GLE365

Honorable
Aug 19, 2015
Thanks for all the comments everyone. I still haven't sent the CPU back yet, and I have noticed the paste between the CPU and heatspreader is quite thick and not the easiest to remove. I guess I pictured this like a heatsink to CPU paste job but maybe its not. If I was to try to repaste, do I need to remove all paste between the CPU and headspreader, or just enough to make a level surface then apply more of my own? Also it seems I would need something firm and plastic to get the paste off, like a credit card. What tools do you use for this?

You need to clean the surfaces well, both on the heatspreader and on the CPU. Wipe off as much as you can, and use isopropylalcohol to completely clean it off. If you need to, you can use a credit card as you suggest, I've previously used a razorblade, but then you have to be very careful of course.

But now I always just use toilet paper, isopropylalcohol, and quetips and / or cotton swaps.

Then you can apply your thermal paste.

If you reuse the thermal paste already applied, you risk creating small airpockets, which degrades the thermal properties of the paste resulting in poor heat transfer and consequently poor cooling properties

Last edited:
Solution