Just got The Phenom 9850Be today!!!

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I agree with yipsl,if after a bios upgrade my cpu is not recognized,then there is a possibility of damage.But then most of us here do push limits for thats where the fun is.I have not use any other board than an MSI (now its a 790fx) in 5yrs and have found them to be solid m-boards,right now its doing a real good job handling my 9500 @3.0.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
This is were it gets interesting. Newegg got everything here on friday. Which is great. I got started as soon as I got off work. When I fired it up last night after getting all the painting done and moding the side case with the tinted glass Temps were very good. I downloaded the lastest bios file dated at 04/22/08 (1903) and in my bios update file it is showing the date as being 04/03/2008 I believe.

When I opened up the phenom it looked like to me that it had been opened already and had a little of the stock paste left on it, checked the stock cooler and it still had its paste square on it. Not sure whats up with that, would the egg send out a used 9850 to replace the one I RMA"d ???

Right from the start of trying to load up windows I had the same problem with the 9850 they sent back. I have been talking to another person from the ASUS forums and he got his 9850 on the same board to 2.9 on air with very little adjustments on the Vcore, stable no blue screens with 2nd processor error. So I looked around some more and the one that are having problems with the 9850 are on different boards, AM2+ and AM2, 770 chipset, 790fx chipset. One thing that seems to still be present is the problem with the 9850's. Mine will not run stable without me under clocking it to a 12 multi and it drops it down to 2.41Ghz with the Vcore taken down to 1.2 volts. With these setting and the new case with all the fans and airflow I now have it is stayin at 33-35C at Idle and not over 44C at load. Vista rates evey component at 5.9 now, new seagate 7000.11 32mb cach is awsome! I have not tried to bench it yet, have to down load it, and been to busy working out the bugs.

I really don't know what to think anymore about this, could a guy get so unlucky to get two bad processors from the egg, or did they shipp mine back to me?? I really don't believe this is my board causing problems here, cuz two other people with almost the same set up as mine are running theres with no problems at all. I am going to get a new AM2+ board next week, but I am really having doubts about investing anymore into this spider platforum thinking that its a crap shoot, bad second core/ good second core. Even at 2.41 this phenom is nice, runs as smooth as my 6400+ seems as quick. I am just wondering if the bios is still buggy from asus that is supporting these 9850'S. Given what I am seeing here I could of just paid about $15.00 less and got the 9750 and got the same processor given that I had to bump everything down so it wouldn't blue screen on me. Anyone have luck yet with there 9850 upgrade/ AM2 board

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Even though others have had no issues, I have to say this ... since you've now tried it with two (probably) different phenoms, I'm going to say it's probably your motherboard at fault...

Each individual board within each individual brand etc has its own individual quirks ... this may be one for you.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Yes it may be the board, but with the new bios support It should run stock at 2.5GHz. What makes me think its not my motherboard is that from others I have talked to even there 790fx's gave them the same error code and one of them sent His 9850 back and had it replaced, and bingo no more blue screen, he is on water and got it to 3.1Ghz stable. I believe he was running a DFI board.

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/asus_m2n32-sli_deluxe/

Maybe you have a different board revision that is not up to spec....

Click on the link above and you might find out which is yours...

Hope this helps

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Thanks for the link Harry,

My board is the 1.04G ver. so its one step latter then the two they tested. first one tested sadly (ver. 1.01g) the 1.03g tested very well so I can only think that this board is better yet.

This 9850 has not shown that error since I under clocked it to 2.41 and dropped the Vcore volts to 1.20.

thunderman

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2007
Nehalem is nothing more than a AMD K10 clone…AMD are the originators and first to bring a Native Quad core to the market. Intel know they are limited with their current Quad core design and in order to compete they will need something better, unfortunately time is short…. so their answer is to clone the K10. AMD have made all the recent innovations, they deserve our respect and possibly awards for their achievements.
Intel are losing their grip and the Phenom 9850 BE dominates the Q6600 and it also has an unlocked multiplier too….so it overclocks better and easier too. AMD have a strong line up of CPU’s and high-end graphics technology like the 3870X2 Radeon.

This Blog is a good source for AMD news and information:
http://sharikou.blogspot.com/

AMD4LIFE! We AMD fans must stick together and I’ll lead us!

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
No pun intended Thunder, as for being lead, I have always marched to the beet of my own drum, not much of a sheep. I couldn't tell you if the 9850 overclocks better cuz I have yet to get one that I haven't had to underclock to get it stable. While some of that Ra ra ra.... may have been true, or not, it really didn't add one shread of help to this thread. Not an Intel Vs AMD debate.

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Lol, the thing is Nehalem works better than Core 2 Duo/Quad and Core 2 Duo/Quad work better than Phenoms...

What a troll, maybe he should change is name to " The Quantum Fluctuator"

http://www.daltonator.net/fuq/trolls/g2k.html hence

"More waffle than a house of pancakes"

Yours,
a undeniable Phenom Owner....

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
still going hasn't shown the blue screen, just downloaded benchmark 06, post when I get some test done.

Nice one Harry, LOL

"What a troll, maybe he should change is name to " The Quantum Fluctuator"

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007

Well, there are only two ways to find out if it's the CPU ... try it in another board, or send it back (again) ... sorry i can't be more help (unless you want to send *me* the 9850 :D)

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
do you have the 790fx chipset coret?? Maybe I will send it to ya, LOL. Just did benchmark06 with it underclocked at 2.41ghz no over clock on the 8800gts and scored a 11,281 cpu got 3318. I just oc it in the bios back up to 2.46ghz. Still no blue screen of death.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
multi is still at 12 instead of 12.5 and vcore is 1.26 even though its set to 1. 23 the bios. I m using the bios to oc, didn't even attempt to OC with asus overdrive. I can't even find AMD's overdrive for vista 64 bit, which sucks cuz if I could find it i could test the cores to see if I can under clock only the bad one, and see what this baby can do. 2.9ghz would be nice. I have to wait till friday to order another board, and a new OS since the ver. I got at the egg was a builders ver.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
I have the M2N32-SLI Deluxe, like you :)

Once you've got the new motherboard, do you intend to use the m2n32 for a vista system again using the current license? Or are you selling it/putting another OS on it?

I ask because if it's the latter, you can call up MS when it comes to verify and just say you had to replace the motherboard as the last one exploded - they should just let you reactivate the vista oem license for the new board.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Coret,

thats right i think you already told me that. I m not sure if you would want to drop this in but it would be nice if you were just around the block, LOL. I have not dropped the multi any futher but some how I just don't think it will matter. I tried to keep the vcore at 1.23 showing at 1.26 on asus probe 2 and the multi at 12, raised the bus to 209 after 205 seemed to run stable, got it to 2.46GHz at 205 and ran benchmark06 no blue screens. bumped the bus up to 209 and blue screened with the 2nd processor not recieving. Started coming back down from 209 at 2.51ghz and got back down to 206 and it blue screened again. At 203 at 2.45ghz I am typing this with out it crashing. I wish i could find AMD's overdrive for 64 bit vista so I could test the Idea of the bad core. Not sure what I'm gonna do about this 9850, this is really sucks!

Thanks for the Idea about the mother board, i had heard that theres a chance that MS will do that for me, if I tell them my board had to be replaced but the last time I talked to MS when I first built the 6400+ rig as soon as I gave them my product # they wanted $50 before they would even talk to me. I might just put another system into it not sure yet. This is a really expensive hobby! good thing I'm not paying a pro to do all this for me. Some of those guys with 26 years exp, really charge an arm and a leg, and then you only end up with a 65watt processor with a board like ours that are designed to handle the 125 watt models, LOL.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Uhmm, just had a quick idea for you since you can't locate a version of AMD Overdrive for vista64 ... got a random spare hard drive lying around you could quickly put a copy of XP on to purely for testing purposes?

TBH, given what you've experienced, I would send it back again.

byronm

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2008
My 9600 on an ma-790fx-ds5 with latest bios does 5.9 vista rating. And thats with my over clocked cheapo 8600gt that i'm looking to switch to HD3870s here soon. (crossfire)

How old is your current board? The ram and CPU in my current system don't overclock very well at all. Originally I blamed it on the components, but now I think that the board is just starting to die. I guess if you get a new board, we'll know then.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Coret, I have a few laying around but no coppies of XP... I have my reinstall for my 939 socket but not sure were its at, I think in storage. What are the chance's of getting two crap phenoms in a row?? It makes me wonder if there are issue's with the bios, but just find it hard to believe with support for it now that it would have these issue's.

The board imo, is not dying. I just got it from the egg about three months ago. It is the ver 1.04G which is the lastest the came out with right before they came out with the new AM2+ boards. This board is meant to overclocked. The new ones were out when I bought this one but I didn't want to get the new boards because of the poor oc on the b2 phenoms. When I put my 6400+Be in I have no stability issues with this board. All parts were new off the egg three months ago. Ram is solid both of my seegates are good. When I under clock this phemon no problems just don't like having to under clock a processor to get it to run. I have had my 6400+ running at 3.4-3.5 stable, no problems. Like i said before if i would of know this I would of just gotten a 9750 and saved some money.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Just down load Cpu-z and it is stating that my mother board only has the 570 chipset in it and when I bought this board it was listed as a 590 chipset and was higher then the Asus with only the 570 chipset. Nvidia also says this is a 570 chipset for the southbridge. I was going to get the cheaper one but at the last min. got the better one. Could cpu-z and Nvidia system check be wrong?

I have dropped the 6400+ back in and have not problems. I love this new coolmaster 590 case, my temps are 28C at Idle with it at stock! New case, lapped 6400+be @3.21 and all is good. 2.45 is the best I could get with the Phenom and it seemed stable last night but when I got home from work and started it up, not even a half hour went by and got the 2nd core error.