Just got The Phenom 9850Be today!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Yes Shadow on its so called backward compatibility, and a Rosewill RX-750 PSU, LOL. Anyways, Asus has yet to release a Bios version for the 9850 B3 stepping so i would say that might have a big part of whats going on. I really wish that their was more people that took the plunge and had my motherboard and see what resaults they get. Let me know guys. This Phenom is running hot at 3Ghz oc but it does seem to be running smooth and does not seem slower then my 6400+BE. Just getting **** benchmarks in 06

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Well I believe its the 1802 bios update. I just pulled my phenom out and put my 6400+ back in. With bois 1402 which is what my board came with, I got 12,665 with the cpu over clocked as high as i could get it, around 3.5mhz I think and the 8800GTS at 798 and 1080.

I just ran bench marks and all i am getting with bios 1802 with the same settings is 10,110. So there has to be something there. I can't find bios 1402 and I believe my board came with the CD that has 1201 on it. So Not sure how to downgrade the bios, but it seems like it might be a good Idea. I also put the stock sink and fan from the Phenom so I am trying it out for a while. Appears to be Idling at around 40C. but just dropped it in so the Artic 5 might not have kicked in yet. My Rosewill cpu cooler kept my cpu at around 32-34 idle.

And shadow it seems to run smooth at 3mhz but just benchs bad. I really could not tell much difference in it from the 6400+Be. But I will be getting a AM2+ board very soon. I was hoping to hold out until the 700 south bridge sets were around. I will also be looking to water cool this Phenom cuz I can't get anymore fans into my case to cool this thing.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
to computertech,

I didn't see anyway to turn off the fix in the bios and if I remember right from what I have read in a few forums on some boards you can't turn it off. So not sure but it would have to be the bios update 1802 cuz nothing else has changed.

quanger

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2005
im running a 6400+ BE on my am2+ mb and it runs well. If you really want to see how your 9850BE does, sent it to me and i will let you know :D

i do consider going quadcore someday. the 6400+ BE is more than enough for now, but I suspect things will change in a year or so. I hope the 45nm phenoms will be compatible with AM2+ boards.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Let me just say repeat after repeat after repeat to every one self endulged person I am not a fanboy...

Gedit

Ok

all im saying is a year old chip out of the box reaches 5.9 in the windows Vista Experience Index (we'll cal it VEI shall we) speed test, all though this is not ideal, it does give some sort of indication on how applications - mostly games will run...

Now there may be bios issues causing this, but if there are some... Shouldn't of AMD spoke to the motherboard manufacturers first... I mean its a logical step isn't it. AMD's managment team is almost as incompetent as Britains labour party...

Only in denial AMD fanboys which you obviously are, and the rest of you AMD fans are by being on the deffensive in such away, that they can not see that this processor although not slow will not reach 5.9 on the VEI scale at stock speads which when AMD first demo'ed or showed it off there was a screen shot of it and 5.9 was the score...

Wether or not this was last years April Fool, someone making this up or a AMD lie - who knows.

But the 9850BE is supposed to be the fastest chip that AMD have... And I would atleast expected a 5.9 score on it after a simple bios update on a motherboard which should work with it... Wouldnt have you !!!!!!

I would love to offer Hi-End AMD Systems, I remember companies supplying machines on the AMD 64 front giving them the Higher spec marketting than the crappy Prescott... Which Intel deserved to be flamed on.

Over the next few weeks, I will be buying a Phenom to see how they run, with a socket AM2 790 AMD Chipset..

I just built a AMDx2 6000 machine, which is a good machine for office work and moderate gaming...

So dont start giving me that FANBOY crap... Im only stateing as I see it. I couldnt give a turd how Intel or AMD get to speed up their processors, as long as they work and fit in the hole in the motherboard...

I have been upgrading pcs and buiding pcs since the first clones came out about 20 years ago...

I remember switching dip switches or jumpers to set the processor at the right speed.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I wouldn't have upgraded from a 6400+, unless you spend most of your time doing Photoshop and 3DS Max. I was going to get a 9850BE in May but I think I'm going to wait until Deneb, as the 690V board doesn't support Phenom. That's the kind of Black Edition I want, a native 3.0 gigahertz 45nm 65 watt Deneb. I'm guessing on the wattage, maybe it will be 89 or 95, but I can't see it being 125 because the process improvements should bring thermals down a bit.

My wife's ASUS 690G does support B2's and she's interested, but if they don't put out a B3 bios, then I'm not going to put a B2 in either. Then again, it might be fun to see if she runs into the errata. I don't think she will and she does use graphics programs that utilize 4 cores.

If you mostly play games, you won't see much improvement because you won't get past 2.8 without fiddling around with voltage, or so the reviews say. Just saw that you did fiddle with voltage. 2.93 isn't bad, but with Deneb coming out at an expected 3.0, I can predict you'll be upgrading in December once again.

I do know this from reviews. The B2 limiter in a bios does not affect the B3's. The bios ignores the limiter when a B3 is installed, as long as the bios supports a B3. If you're using a bios that doesn't support a B3, then that could lead to weird results.

Some 780G boards had voltage setups that did not support a 125 watt processor, but since you had a 6400+, your motherboard might be okay, but I read on another thread that the 125 watt X2's still only pulled 89 amps whereas the 125 watt Phenom's 9750's and 9850's pulled 100 amps, which can still be a problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong people but the info above is what I remember from the thread on the 780G, explaining what was happening. I've not had an Nvidia board beyond a cheap 405 chipset, so I'm not familiar with his SLI board's CPU support list.

Call me a fanboy if you want, and I'll admit the Q6600 is better in some respects, but not in all. I happen to like ATI/AMD chipsets and GPU's so I go for a total platform and am willing to take a bit of a hit on CPU performance (but read above, I'm not willing to commit to a 9850BE on a 790 board with Deneb so close).

The fact that a CPU is a year old is irrelevant. The relevant fact is that the Q6600 is based on a better C2D processor packaged as "non-native". Intel obviously knew what they were talking about when they said it wasn't a good idea to go native quad core at 65nm and AMD made a big mistake. One that's haunted them longer than the 31 stage pipeline Netburst CPU's haunted Intel. Maybe it's just that the little guy gets picked on when falling down and the big guy gets a pass when he's bullying? (i.e. the Intel OEM rebate mishegoss that is thankfully past, such that AMD can rely on that mainstream market to survive).

Ignore the Windows Experience. That's worse than 3DMark 06 as a benchmark of quality. In real world tests, I expect his experience with the 9850 will equal that of testing sites, that showed it equalled a Q6600 on some benchmarks utilizing 4 cores, but fell behind in others, especially if the benchmarks did not use 4 cores.

IMHO, we won't see most games and applications using 4 cores until sometime between December 2008 and December 2009. We probably won't see games and most applications benefiting from 64 bit until 2010. When Deneb comes out, AMD will have the native quad core all us AMD fans have waited for and it might be too late for top spot (but not for company survival -- which Intel admits is in their best interest too).

Deneb will stock at 3.0 and might overclock to 3.6 Nehalem should reach 4.0 and will have hyperthreading at the high end for 8 virtual cores. I expect that Deneb will be the budget quad core solution 2 45nm, especially the first SOI itineration. Maybe AMD will be back on top at 32nm with IBM's newest process?

Me, I'll stay an AMD fan who wants the company to survive for a total platform that I like instead of AMD plus Nvidia or Intel plus AMD/ATI. I'll want AMD to survive, and not to just lower the prices of Intel CPU's. I don't work for AMD and really wish they hadn't laid anyone off (I hated Intel for layoffs when they're on top, jobs for loyal competent employees should be for life -- call me old fashioned-- well, I am old; in my days sonny, we walked to the Computation Center in a snowstorm just to play Advent when we didn't feel like doing our BASIC homework).

Can't wait for Deneb. I hope then it beats a Q6600 and Q6700. I hope it equals or beats a Penryn. I won't expect it to beat a Nehalem. So, I'm a realist fanboy and I laud Intel for coming back from a lousy processor design to a good one that wins overall. I just haven't seen Intel come back from their business practices much yet. Maybe they'll direct them at Nvidia next time around, that seems to be a fight gearing up considering Huang's comments at Nvidia's analyst day. He even supported AMD with his comments that Intel's "Laughabee" (his words) would not match the quality of the two GPU companies.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Clam down Hell boy!

All I was trying to say is that my mother board is holding this processsor back. It is a AM2 board and the best you could get at the time with the 590 chipset for the AMD x2. When I upgrade the motherboard to the AM2+ 790FX chipset I am sure this quad core will get a vista of 5.9 with no problems. The bios update is Asus fault not AMD's fault. Asus should update there Bios to the new b3 stepping on these chips. And I am not a fan boy at anything. I just don't like Intel's high priced chips, believe If I had 1,100 dollar to burn I would be buying a Intel Quad, but I do not.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
And getting a oc on air of 3Ghz stable on this AM2 Board with a Bios version that doesn't support B3 stepping is not bad at all. It felt just as smooth as my 6400+ just not as good on benchs. Something just doesn't click with the bios update.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Relative to your performance gains, that was a relatively expensive "upgrade" don't you think? I'm not saying that no one should buy 'em... just don't think people who are currently running X2 6400s are good candidates.

Btw, nice OC.

To the OP, It might not be just the BIOS version. It might be that that board just sucks for Phenom. Sure its backward compatable but at the cost of the performance. Try your 6400+ with the latest BIOS and see what happens.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
the 10000 score with the new bios flash 1802 and I can not find the 1402 my board came with. So the bios flash dropped my bench mark06 score by 2500 points from the 1402 bios score of 12556. was it worth it, i ll let you know when I get the new Asus am2+ board and hit 14000 on benchmark06. lol.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

The trouble is Yipsl,

As I said VEI is not ideal, but it does give an indication......

The trouble is, most users will see this as black and white or the mecca of speed on pcs due to the fact it comes from the trusted source which is Microsoft , and it comes built in with the OS...

Most people out there believe what is written with in windows, unfortunately they also believe in the approximate time it takes to copy files which jumps from hours to minutes in a second...

I understand why Microsoft did this, and to some respects it may have worked against them as some machines ranked at 2.9 make people feel inadequate and the game ratings has still to be shown on the game boxes...

For example Frontlines - fuels of war does not give its requirements to a VEI rating... How odd !!! but it does give the specs whats needed to play it old fashioned way. Thats what I thought VEI was for !!!!

All I am saying for what ever the reasons are and to be honest I dont care about the technical issues down to how thick the gates are and how not thick the logic gates are... leave this to the hi end electronic engineers..
This doesnt affect us in general operation of the machine... What it does tho, is it results in either getting the product we want, or not if the case may be...

Its just a shame that AMD have had these issues and will still have overclocking issues for the next forciable future...

Even AMD is entitled to its version of the Prescott and this maybe it, although Prescotts sold by the buckets..AMD is yet to really supply the channel which integrates them into pc's.

Im still waiting to get hold of boxed ones from my suppliers as apposed to a web site order...

Its just a shame they werent a bit financially stronger when they did it...

MrManO1

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2008

No someone is just plain dumb, even the lowest Phenom scores 5.9 - if you don't have any idea what you're talking about, go back to direct-depositing your paycheck to Intel and let the rest of us talk with our big boy (and AMDfangirl) voices

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Hi all. Is there a chance, even a tiny little itty bitty chance the you downloaded the wrong bios? Asus has a lot of m2n mb choices.

Is this your board? http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=300&l4=0&model=1163&modelmenu=1

Then this page contains all of the authorized BIOS updates:

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101&l3=300&l4=0&model=1163&modelmenu=1

If I didn't get the right model mb for you then check this link, it contains the listing of all m2 boards.

http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=101

Try reflashing the most current bios. The AM2 boards will work very well with the phenoms but will not allow the full potential of the Phenoms. You will need a AM2+ MB. I have a M3A32-MVP Deluxe wifi which is a AM2+ and I like it very much. Best of luck.

Jumpers Hellboy, I had a Tandy 1000 that didn't have a hard drive that ran at a blistering 8mhz. LOL

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Yo FANBOI !

Hey if they score 5.9 why not in this Asus board...

So Asus are one of the best manufacturers out there out there........are they not....

Why hasn't AMD spoken to Asus to sort out their issues, or set guide lines .... Maybe they were sorting out their own issues with the Phenom, they didnt bother to or didnt have time to
include the vital component to make it work .. er the motherboard...

No I dont have and idea , and clearly I must be depositing my cheque and will donate the money to the intelligent dis advantage fund...

Where shale I send your obviously well deserved allowance.... :ouch: :ouch: :sarcastic:

Yes, I disagree. The only thing that HyperTransport does on a desktop-only AMD CPU like the Phenom is allow for SB → NB communication. That didn't even saturate the 1600 MT/sec HT links in the 754 and S1 chips, so bumping the HT speed up a lot makes no difference in performance for the Phenom. Probably the best feature in the Phenom IMO is that AMD was able to pull it off and sell them at competitive prices. It was a very ambitious project that had a lot of new features added and was also done with less-than-optimal resources (such as the 65 nm process node rather than the 45 nm one.)

Now if you are talking about the HT speed boost benefiting AMD K10 chips as a whole, you have a bigger point as the K10 Opterons use HT to do CPU-to-CPU data transfers and the increased bandwidth IS a big deal.

zloginet

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2008

I smell some BS here..... I am running a stock 6400+, eVGA 8800GTS G92, XP SP2 and 4GB of ram without any programs running and I am sitting around 11600. it takes a lot more to just get under 12k.