Just got The Phenom 9850Be today!!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ever consider that ZOldDude has OCed his GPU? If he has OCed his GPU then that should be the different since you are comparing total scores.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
topper, Yes this is my board and I got the right Bios flash 1802 which is the newest version and I am pretty sure this is what is causing the problem and yes it is the right one for my board. How does your Asus Am2+ bench and what kinda grafix card do you have. I am going to build a new spider build when I can afford to which will include the 3470X2 Was your board the one on newegg for $219 cuz I think I am going to get that one.

Hellboy do you read or just sell the drama?? I have already told you that this board is a AM2 and not the am2+ board. Pay attention dum@ss cuz this is the third time I've told you this. THE FACT THAT THIS ASUS M2N32-SLI DELUXE AM2 590 CHIPSET CAN RUN THIS NEW QUAD CORE 9850 SO SMOOTHLY OC TO 3.0GHZ IS AWSOME, JUST SUCKS THAT IT BENCH'S SO POORLY, but as I said before, this has to be a bios issue not AMD's fault! If your looking for Intel debates I am sure you can find another forum to post on, so stop trolling please cuz its getting old.

Zloginet, That looks about right cuz thats what I got stock when I first fired my new 8800GTS (G92) up and thats with no over clocks. I am running Vista 64bit though so yours should of been a bit higher then mine given your running xp

Zoldude, Thanks for the link, not sure if I am going to flash it yet but it nice to have the option. Is it a safe link to down load from??

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Good grief,,

This really hits your AMD nerve............

So protective over your AMD processors................

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Hellboy, I don't know what planet your on guy, but I work for a living and AMD CPUs are not my life, just a hobby. I have computers with both intel and AMD and I choose to build my custom rigs with AMD at this time. I have not AMD nerve's but you trolling is really just getting old. I posted this topic cuz i just bought the new phenom, and want other people who have this chip to post their findings, so if you want to chat about Intel find another post guy.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
caho27, thanks for the info, but I don't believe this guy was running the new 9850. I will try reseting my Cmos and see if this helps. I didn't overclock my system when I flashed the bios so I don't think that is a issue.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Cah027 I just reset the cmos and dropped the Phenom back in and low and behold vista rated it at 5.6 at 2.5gbz stock of the batt instead of 5.3 when i first did 1802 bios flash. I made the mistake of putting the stock cooler on which it does ok but there was a 15C difference from my rosewill cooler when I ran it yesterday. So I am gonna have to tear it back down and put the rosewill back in before I do any overclocking or bench mark test. I will let you guys know how this turns out.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Just ran benchmark06 and guess what you guys, It got 11832

Which is better then what I got on my stock 6400+BE @3.2Ghz and the 8800GTS (G92) not over clocked. That is about a 232 point difference with a 2.5Ghz Phenom, Not to shabby, LOL.

Thank you so much cah027 for the info on resetting the Cmos, IT WORKED!

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
YA MRMONK i have been watching this forum since last week. It is hard to apply what there doing since I am on the M2N32-sli deluxe. But I have book marked it and what tony and everyone is doing is awsome. I am in the process of putting my Rosewill cooler back on cuz it seems to make a 13 to 15c difference in the temps. I m Idling at 51C with no over clock and I even made my wires neater when I dropped the phenom back in so the Sytrin dual 40mm fans could get more air flow into the Cpu area. The Rosewill does a very good job of pushing hot air out of the case with the 92mm fan pointed towards the back of the case. I will start overclocking when I switch it out.

medjohnson77, glad you got it working better. Must of been some tlb turned off in the bios. Interesting it did better then the 6400+ in 3dmark. would be interesting how good you can do in gaming with it vs the 6400+. I would Like to know what the speed has to be for the 9850 to beat the 6400+ in gaming benchmarks.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007

Cool.. glad you got it going better... and glad I could offer some help...

Let us know if you can get an OC that gets a better score...

mrcmtl

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
you might also want to wait for a better bios cuz im not sure if bios 1802 supports B3 phenoms...it was released before the B3 phenoms did. The performance loss with 1802 is normal as was bios 1503 did with B2 phenoms. You just need to wait for a better bios.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
well just started to OC and I bumped it up to not even 205 and no voltage increase and It's done!!! It is going to the windows shut down and saying something about core 2 not recieving clock rate or some BS. I am going to RMA to the egg! Hopefully the new one will not be a dead chip.

Yes he claims a 50% OC on air using the white silicon thermal grease. Do you think thats possible? I mean maybe if you have your room at 10c but who could live like that? Plus he has posted that ambient was 26c so unless he has one hell of a air cooling fan we don't know about, I agree that his score is BS or he is water cooling it and lieing. Either way there is some sort of BS somewhere there.

To the guy who posted about being the wrong BIOS, wont happen. I had a Asus barebone for my grandparents and tried to download the BIOS based on the mobo model and even though its the same model they have different BIOS for it so it wouldn't flash it. The same goes for him.

OP, glad you got it working. Enjoy the chip. But please don't take what some people say too the heart. I prefer Intel myself but AMD is not so bad. Even those who state they want the best bang for their buck are lieing. They all have preferences to what they like better. Good luck with the future. If you get a chance try to upgrade your mobo to a AM2+ or a better one and maybe you can squeeze a bit more life out of that chip.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Im thinking it might not be the cpu it could be that the bios flashes arent up to par for OC'ing that cpu yet. If you get another I bet it would od the same thing on that board. Seems like if you got another MB AM2+ it would work better. But I would understand if you rma'd it just to be sure. You only have so much time to rma anywho...

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I dont see how the bios would not alow the overclock since before i reset the cmos it did just fine up to 3.0ghz on air cooling. but then again it only got 7800 on benchmark06 and when I reset the cmos it got 11800. I am debating wether to get the new AM2+ asus board for 219 of the egg, and a build a new build on the spider platform or just get my money back at this time and wait a little while. My 6400+Be performs very well and I just built it 3 months ago.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Oh yea one more thing in Nvida n tune it showed my memory bus at he same as what the Phenoms clock speed was 2.50GHZ and the same when I overclocked it to 2.8,3.0 memory bus show those number also. Could that have something to do with this problem,??

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
MJ- this is my board. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131224

Asus site. http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=591&l4=0&model=1930&modelmenu=1

The price has come down since I bought it, I paid $254. I put this rig together in Dec. I got a AMD 5000+be as a place holder until the Phenoms get up to speed. I have done 4 BIOS updates on the MB. I use wireless and have three computers running on my network. My router allows wireless and cableing at the same time. The MB wifi out of the box did not function correctly so I connected w/ cat5. The most current bios 1002 has the MB working like a charm, no wifi issues at all. Something that I commend Asus for is their Bios overclocking. It is nearly automatic. You set a % of desired overclock and the board does all the tuning. I have it set at 20% = 3.12GHZ. I have played with the mulitplier manually setting it at 13.5 and 14 with the auto oc on. 13.5 runs at 3.25GHZ, 14 at 3.36GHZ. The point is the board has a lot of tweaks. $219 seems like a deal. I would get the lowest latency ram. I have 2x 2gb installed windows usually shows about 3.3. I want to see you get up and running with the M2 because I would like your opinion on the 9850be. There have been many conflicting reports from 2.8-3.3 on overclock. If you got 11832 with your M2 mb at stock settings that seems to be out F'n standing. Check out this 3dmark ticker. http://www.yougamers.com/benchmarkticker/
It post the 3dmark bench scores as they come in. Interesting to see the "actual scores" of simular systems with a sometimes large difference in scores. BTW your 6400+ would run great on the M3. It sounds to me like you have a great situation if you choose to make it so. You have a 6400+ that runs great on your M2 and 9850 that will run great on the M3. It you choose to accept this mission, Mr. Phleps.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

Ill stop my so called swaying to the dark side...

BTW its earth, so calm down a bit and heres something for you to look at

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=M3N-HT%20DELUXE&id=20080410232544984&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

This guy seems to be getting issues with the latest Asus 790 chipset too

It needs a HT bus of 2600 !

now it seems there are issues with another Asus bios with the 9850...

I have looked up your motherboard on Asus website and look for processor compatibility...

http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx

type in your board number...

The maximum supported chip is the 9600 with the latest bios....
So it seems your chip is being throttled....

Up and till now the 9850BE is not supported on it. Not my fault, not yours, but AMD and Asus...

It sounds like a limitation of the 590 chipset, i hope not, but if it is, it is...

Hopefully they will fix the M3N-HT Deluxe

Unfortunatly it looks like to get the best out of it its gonna have to be a 790fx chipset to make it work at full potential....

I looked around for Gigabyte boards and have found no issues...

Why dont AMD just face facts, bring out a new socket and be done with it..... and stop all this messing around...

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Topper some reason vista 64 would not let me use Riva tuner

Hellboy, thanks for a real post about the topic. I really don't have clue as to whats going on with this Phenom. It keeps going to blue screen and saying that the 2nd processor is not clocking in time or something. I have it in right now and was trying to work it out but its not working. I thought about re flashing the bios but I just don't think its gonna matter. I don't understand how this thing could bench yesterday and beat my 6400+ and then just die the second I bumped the voltage up by like 1.37 and over clocked to 2.6ghz. After I reset the cmos all seemed well, it ran smooth, I had hope for this chip. Now I am not so sure about it. Maybe it is my board. who knows!