Just got The Phenom 9850Be today!!!

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

a 6pack in

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2007
get a 790FX board..

i am running my 6000+ on a 790FX. I fried my 9600 BE.. gonna be picking up the 9850 BE here soon.

the HT needs to be at 3000 for good gains...

i got a better 3dmark06 score from this board than my previous 570 SLI.

but IMO thats to be expected.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Just tried to take the 9850 up to 3.0ghz with no vcore increase and she blue screened out with the secondary processor clock issue.

So heres my results,

Vcore at stock 1.3

At 2.8 runs stable and boots into vista

At 2.9 wont boot into vista but will run stable once into vista using AOD

3.0Ghz in AOD secondry processor clock not recieved blue screen in about 5 min.

Temps are ok even overclocked at 35-40C Icle depending on the overclock. All Overclocks are with multi only. Haven't tried any other ways yet.

I will be getting the ATI certified 1066 OCZ ram soon, with the new 3870 so i will keep it at 2.8Ghz for now and wait till the ram comes and try to mess with her some more.

All in all at 2.8, even though I thought I had it at 2.9 when I did the benchmark06 that I posted, for some reason bench mark only showed it at 2.8GHz I still got about 1000 better then my 6400BE overclocked at 3.46ghz. 13,000 is ok but was wanting to hit the 14-15,000 at least with the 9850Be. Maybe I will have to build a intel build after all, LOL.

Thanks for the follow up medjohnson77.

I still think a fast K8 quad is going to outperform and OCed K10 quad in nearly all single threaded apps (most current games).

It's nice to see the B3's going a little bit further than the B2 bombers.

coret

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
Did you try increasing VCore a little (up to 1.45 is thought to be relatively safe on air cooling on a lot of sites/forums) to get it properly stable at 3.0?

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I think that a good method of cooling would be to use an indirect method of phase change cooling.You can use ducting to duct the flow of air from a window air conditioner to the side of the PC case to blow cold dry filtered air to cool the PC components like the Motherboard with chipset,RAM and heatsink/fan.You might be able to obtain higher overclocks with it and/or extend component lifetime.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
No Coret I have not changed anything yet on the Vcore. It is listed at stock 1.30 but my bios shows it at 1.33

My air cooling is awsome with this new coolmaster 590 case and I don't believe it can get any better other then I am running the stock cpu cooler only because my Rosewill 92mm clip seemed to not clip on right. I am still running at 35-40C at Idle which is a hell of a lot better then the other 9850's were doing. This new 9850 will run stable at 2.9 once I am in windows but will not boot past 2.8 with the Vcore at 1.30 I have not tried to go at 3.0 more then once seeing how it gave me the 2nd processor clock not recieved error. I am thinking about lapping this chip but kinda wanna wait to see how it does before I mod it at all incase i have to send it back.

ro3dog

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
I too had trouble with AOD and had to oc in the bios.Been over a month whith my 9500 @ 3ghz.Not one bsod or any reason where I would have to reboot.Running an HD2900pro til the 4800s come out.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
I too used the bios to over clock but can not boot into vista at over 2.8ghz. It will however boot into vista at 2.8 and then I can take it up to 2.9 stable with AOD, However I get the blue screen at 3.0 with AOD. This is on stock volts at 1.30 though. I have not upped the volts yet.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Well I just took the dive into water cooling. I got the swift tech 655 from the egg, swift tech cpu block, coolant and lines and conectors, and flow meter with temp reader, and non-conductive fluid, from the Danger Den. I bought a 12" radiator from the auto parts store and a 12" dc fan, LOL. I also bought four of the high air flow 120mm just incase the 12" dc fan does not work out. The radiator is a Hayden 12"x12"x3/4' thick. It looks better then anything I could of gotten of the egg and Danger Den. Time will tell but I should have all my water cool parts by Friday. I will post pics of this custom set up once I get it together. I still have not been able to get the 9850 past 2.9 stable. I might need to adjust my timings on my ram though and see if it helps. I have been reading some of Tonys post's on his fourm over at extreme and will be trying some of the things they are doing. Even with out the water rig getting hooked up it is idling at 30C at 2.9gjz

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
All parts are here except the non conductive coolant, and the DangerDen Lines, and fill res. I went ahead and got half inch lines at menards last night and got it all hooked up. Just waiting on Fedex to get here so I can fire here up. I switch out the stock cooler that I had put on my 6400+ build and put the new Rosewill 92mm heat sink back on it, and wow, what a big improvement over the fan that came with the phenom 9850. My temps were as high as 50c on the cpu and 45c on the mother board. Now there back at normal with the rosewill, 35C and 35C. I will post pics on here as soon as I get the rest of the stuff from Fedex. Anyone have any tips on starting this watercooling system the up for the first time? I know I should prime the pump, which I believe just means to pour fuild into it so it doesn't run dry. Not sure how to bleed the air out though, this is all new to me, LOL. This set up looks sweet and I am really happy with the way it turned out so far, Lets hope I don't have any leaks!

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Wow, hellboy I thought after you tried to say my asus M2N32- sli deluxe 8 phase mother board that only supported 65watt processors that is now on the supported list on AMD's site for 9850 support you went away, guess not, LOL> who care's your must or you wouldn't of posted.

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

Not all this again.. I see this thread getting beyond what it needs to do.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
sorry Harry,

I couldn't help myself. I 've got the 9850 up to 2.9 able to boot into vista now. I had to turn my 1066 ocz ram down to 800. put the fsb up to 213 at a 13.5 multi, and 1.325 vore, Nb volts up to 2.0, ram volts up to 2.0. Temps are great at 29c and it never hits above 38c at load. I did however download vista service pack 1 yesterday. I am really debating on getting a Q9450 and a Asus x48 chipset and hooking this water cooling rig up to it and see how High I can get with the overclock. I am looking at another custom build, making three in the last 6 months, but what the hell, It would be nice to see what Intel has to offer.

Thanks for the update!

Harry-Plopper

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008

It doesnt say that Hellboy only thought that the Asus board chip has maximum of 65watt.

His point was that the bios needed to be compatible with that chip.. but there was two bios released as the threads where written..

I will agree with Hellboy on the fact you should of waited for an official compatible bios as this could of caused some damage down to incorrect voltages which could be setup by the board because it doesnt recognize the processor installed..

Yes the argument got overheated but then again there seem to be deaf ears on both parties, with neither listening to what each other had to say..

keithlm

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2007

HEY!!!!!

Are you sure that the Asus X48 chipset can handle the Q9450???

DID YOU LOOK IT UP???

(Sorry... it was just too easy to take the shot.)

Actually I'm bored here at work... so I re-read most of this thread. (What a waste of an hour... and did you ever notice that the people that profess NOT to be fan boys are usually the most adamant fan boys?)

BTW: I've also thought about getting a new Q9450 Intel system for benchmarking purposes. I can even make work pay for it. <evil grin> But then I'd be stuck using it for my primary work machine for the next couple of years. I don't know if I want to endure that.

stickmans88

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
I scored 14796 with my vanilla 9600 at 2.81GHz
I was thinking about picking up a 9850 but couldn't fine a review on it.
My cpu voltage is really high though to get it stable. (1.576V)
I'm running her on a MSI K9A2 Platinum with 3870 in crossfire.
My temps are around 42C idel 54C load on Water.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Nice OC Stickman,

Damn thats alot of volts though. Is it 100% stable?

Keithlm,

Very funny, LOL> And yes I was a wasted thread or so it seem but Hey, I was just hoping that someone out there had my set up and could give advice. Last time I checked on the egg, the Q9450 were not even on sale any more so, I hope the come back on cuz, I am considering it as my next build. Not sure which mother board yet but thought about getting the Asus Rampage. If you do get one let me know how your build turns out.

Harry,

Hellgirl did make that statement saying that my board only supported 65 watt processors which just goes to show his knowledge on my mother board, Which would be NILL. I try not pay to much attention to fanboys because there jugdement is very clouded. Like I said right after he made that statement, I am glad that I didn't go to him to have my custom system built, 26 years of exp, I m just not buying it.

stickmans88

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2008
I just did some test at (1.52V) with sp2004, WINRAR, 3DMARK06, and my favorite game Team Fortress 2. I think its stable now.

If you have a Nvidia card just make sure you have a 790i Motherboard medjohnson77 to be a little future proof.