Just got The Phenom 9850Be today!!!

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Ya I have a BFG 8800GTS 512mb, G92 and might get another one to put into sli since they have come down so much. My phenom rig has a 3870 and I am waiting for the new series to come out before I buy one for crossfire.

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007

If you enjoy overclocking the Q9450 would be a mistake IMO. 3.4Ghz is the high range for that chip and will only give you a 10% increase over the 65nm quads at stock costing $325. On the other hand the Q6600's are $200 and max out at 3.8Ghz (Air) - 4.0Ghz (Water). The new lower end Intel Quad cores just aren't able to OC like the 65nm's are. Why Intel went with the weird multipliers is beyond me. You have to max out your FSB to get a decent OC and then will it be stable?. I guess it really depends just as much on the board you buy with the processor. Since you just bought the 9850BE why not wait and see what both AMD and Intel do in the next six months before spending more money on another build? Just my opinion.

wardancerx4

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
i have a phenom 9500 with a vista raiting of 5.9 . my 6400 had 5.7 oc and 5.5 non oc. its called update windows vista :)

the 6400 and all dual core suck. windows vista runs better on a quad. quite wasting money on dual core everyone. there is a reason that the new intel extream cpus will be quads and no more extream duals. its 2008 . forget dual core. dual cores are for cheap people :)

Laeros

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
I built a new system last week.

One problem I have noticed since installing x86 version of MS Vista Ultimate is that the OS seems to think that my computer cannot handle gaming. My graphics score is 1.9, and 3D Graphics scores 1.0 while everything else gets a 5.9(max score). I have tested several graphical applications on my computer and have absolutely no problem running everything on max graphical settings. When I try to run 3DMark Venture, I get a message saying my computer cannot support DirectX 10, which comes as a shocker, considering DirectX 10.1 is installed and running on my system. I have not been able to find a driver for my video card, outside from the one that came on the cd, including on the manufacturer's website, leading me to wonder if my driver is an engineers version rather than production version. Other than that I cannot think of any reason that I am having this problem. Does anyone else have any ideas on this?

System Specs:
Phenom 9850 BE
ASUS M3A32-MVP Deluxe/WiFi AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
2x2GB Corsair Domination 1066 DDR2 memory
Thermaltake 770i BigWater liquid cooling system (water block setup on cpu only)
PowerColor HD 4850 Crossfire Graphics Card

Well first off..... why did you dig up this old thread?

And second, you can search AMD site for the 8.6 Hotfix driver version. That has full support for the 4800 series. That or you can go to the ATI part of THF and look for the thread titled "8.7 leaked" or near that.

Laeros

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Thanks, I'll try both solutions after work this evening. As to why I dug up this old thread, uhm, I wasn't paying too much attention beyond that there were replies from not too far back and it sounded like someone watching these threads might be able to answer my question. Anywho, thanks again for the help.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
What I can't decide for the fall (must wait till after vacation) is to get a 9650 or an 8750 for a Gigabyte 780G board I bought but haven't used since I decided not to transfer my X2. Even if I go Deneb later, I think a fall upgrade is warranted. That's because I won't go Deneb until AM3 next spring.

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

So does my wife. I keep telling her she's a lucky woman.

Driver installation issue for sure. Unistall all drivers for that card and try a complete fresh install. I have this card, 5.9 in both games and aero. So is the older 3870.