[SOLVED] Just had AT&T out to my house. Ethernet or wireless question

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
I wanted to up the internet speed and it was actually going to be 10 bucks cheaper a month. However when the installer got here he told us that we are almost 4500 feet from the box. Which is right at the furthest range, so what he was going to do to up our speed would have been a bonded internet? lol I don't know what that is but the gist was the service might become more unreliable and intermittently cut out. I'd much rather have reliable but slower service so we didn't have anything done. So we are still at 20mb.
Now here's what I'm wondering and why I'm asking this. Since I just built a new PC this summer with a Z490 Taichi which after checking aftermarket wireless cards, looks like it already has top of the line wireless. Will I see any benefit if I drill a hole in the bottom of the wall and run an ethernet cable from my router to my PC? I already know ethernet is faster and more stable than wireless but will speeds stay the same since the wireless card this MOBO comes with is already capable of running waaaay more than 20mb? I don't want to spend the money to buy and the hassle and wall damage to run a cord if it's not going to do anything. Also, will having ethernet make my PC a more prime connection in our house over things like our rokus that we have in almost every room? lol The kids and their cartoons can go slower, not me. :ROFLMAO:

You can only operate at the slowest link in the chain.
If I understand correctly that is the 20mb rate from the box to your router.

Why not test things out yourself?
Temporarily put your pc next to the router and connect via ethernet.
See how you do.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
It's a huge pain to undo all the cable management on the uderside of the desk. Plus the only monitor I have is the acer 43 inch CG7 which is 50 pounds. lol It would actually be easier to run a cord through the wall than move the PC. With the cable it's just like 5 seconds with a cordless drill and then running it behind some furniture. And I don't have an ethernet cable to begin with so I'd have to go buy one and if I do that I'd have to get the long enough one to run it to this room or I'd end up having to buy 2. I only want to to do it if somebody can tell me it's worth it.