Just how good is the Intel i7 5960x?

marshedpotato

Reputable
Sep 30, 2014
A colleague and I like to chat about PCs. We think we know a lot because we have entry level IT jobs but we probably don't really know what we're talking about, and we likely chat a lot of shit. My colleague is thinking about upgrading his processor. I asked him which CPU he will buy, and he explained that he will get a high end one because he likes to live stream Grand Theft Auto V on Twitch in his free time. I completely understand this as his CPU is being pushed to 100% when he streams. He has the Intel i5 3570k.

He mentioned he would consider buying a Xeon CPU, like the i7 5960x. I initially thought this was definite overkill. I said that streaming games on that CPU wouldn't even push it to 30%, but he seems adamant that streaming this game at all the max settings with max stream settings also could push this CPU to 50%-70%.

I really think this is bullshit, but he was getting a bit defensive, saying that I don't understand how CPU intensive streaming is, and he does because he actually does it. Could someone please shed some light on this? Could you seriously put real strain on this CPU with streaming?

Timball6300

Reputable
Apr 13, 2015
Depends what you are steaming. But also people have had no problem streaming since the i7 3770k. The i7 5960x is for like a dedicated video working station. If he wants to double for that then its the best he can get. Just let him know he can save 500$ and still stream well.