[SOLVED] Just installed a new CPU and now my rig isnt working

johnparkerallen

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017
Just upgraded from and i5-6700k to an i7-8700k, same socket, same power draw, and when I try to start my computer it just beeps and instantly shuts off most of the time or runs and has no display

Solution
Oh my bad. Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3
That's a 6th / 7th generation motherboard, only compatible with 6th/7th generation Intel processors.
You have an 8th generation processor.

You need a new and compatible motherboard unfortunately my friend. As the guide I posted above states, the socket is not the only thing that dictates compatibility.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh my bad. Gigabyte GA-H170-GAMING 3
That's a 6th / 7th generation motherboard, only compatible with 6th/7th generation Intel processors.

You need a new and compatible motherboard unfortunately my friend. As the guide I posted above states, the socket is not the only thing that dictates compatibility.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Solution

johnparkerallen

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017

Okay, thank you for the information

Reactions: PC Tailor

johnparkerallen

Commendable
Nov 5, 2017

Alright I bought a new Mobo after I made sure it was compatible. Thank you very much for the information, its a lifesaver

Reactions: PC Tailor