[SOLVED] Just installed a new CPU Cooler (Noctua NH-U12S) Only spins when any 1 of 6 cores gets to 30c+

Dec 18, 2020
Hi, so I've just got finished installing a new CPU Cooler (Noctua NH-U12S) Only spins when any 1 of 6 cores gets to 30c+, is this normal? Unable to find anything online, my previous stock cooler span all the time at the same RPM unless 80+c was reached in any given core.

Concerned I've done something wrong, or that this will effect overall life span of the fan considering the stopping and starting.

Not sure if it's relevant but with this cooler installed my idle CPU temp atm is sitting at about 25c

Solution
What about your BIOS fan curve? Does it goes to 0% when the CPU is below 30C?

^ This, it's a board bios setting, your new noctua is so good at keeping temps down its below the threshold that the bios has set to spin up.

At the start of boot, in bios, cpu is run at max voltage for a split second so will hit temps that are enough to start it spinning.

I had an old am3+ board in the past that I had to disable fan warning on because I had a cooler that was complwte overkill for the fx 6300 that was installed.

What board is it??

Set a custom fan curve for 20% below 30c, this should be easy on most modern boards as that nearly all have custom fan curve options in bios.

^ This, it's a board bios setting, your new noctua is so good at keeping temps down its below the threshold that the bios has set to spin up.

At the start of boot, in bios, cpu is run at max voltage for a split second so will hit temps that are enough to start it spinning.

I had an old am3+ board in the past that I had to disable fan warning on because I had a cooler that was complwte overkill for the fx 6300 that was installed.

What board is it??

Set a custom fan curve for 20% below 30c, this should be easy on most modern boards as that nearly all have custom fan curve options in bios.

Solution
Dec 18, 2020

What board is it??

MB is a GA-Z97-HD3 (rev. 1.0) and thank you for the above information, a lot more clear and concise than anything I had been able to find, I have no issue with the fan not being on all the time, actually nice to know it's a lot more of an efficient cooler than the original stock one.

Dec 18, 2020

Yeah it does, I didn't realise this would be why the fan doesn't spin until this speed, the older original intel stock cooler was just on since boot at varying RPM's.

Never experienced my CPU below 30 with the stock cooler so just completely over looked the idea of a fan not always having to be on