[SOLVED] Just installed a new cpu... now my ports dont work and there is no display?

RZB0809

Honorable
Nov 15, 2015
Hello! I just installed a new Ryzen 7 3700X and replaced my Ryzen 5 1600 in my PC. It worked fine before I installed the new CPU, but now it seems that the PC wont "post" or whatever that means. I mean that because the fans spin and the lights on my pc turn on. But i get no signal on my display and I notice that my keyboard LEDS and my mouse LEDS dont light up like when I usually turn them on. My ports arent working judging by the fact that my mouse or my keyboard dont light up.

I tried alot of things:

Clearing the cmos.
Disconecting and reconecting the 4+4 connector on the mobo.
Reseating my GPU.
Taking out the CMOS battery.
Putting my old CPU back in to see if it would work.
Booting with one RAM stick.

Here are my specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X CPU
Nvidia GTX 1070
gigabyte ga-ax370-gaming MOBO
M2 Samsung EVO 970 NVME 500 GB SSD
2TB HDD
24 GB RAM (Corsair and some brand)

I guess my motherboard is done for, but how could replacing a CPU damage it so bad to the point where it doesn't wanna post anymore?

Last edited:
Solution
No! I replaced CPUs in the past and I thought you just had to physically replace the CPU from the motherboard.
Nope. If you look at this webpage -- https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-rev-1x/support#support-cpu you will see that the 3700X REQUIRES the F40 or higher BIOS version.
Depending on the BIOS version you have, you may have to do a couple of updates. Notice that that F30 version says you need to do an AMD driver update prior to that BIOS update.
The F40 BIOS says you HAVE to update to F31 before updating to F40.
I would do the AMD driver update. THEN update to F31. THEN the EC FW Update Tool listed in the F40 BIOS. THEN Update to F50a.

kanewolf

Titan
No! I replaced CPUs in the past and I thought you just had to physically replace the CPU from the motherboard.
Nope. If you look at this webpage -- https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AX370-Gaming-rev-1x/support#support-cpu you will see that the 3700X REQUIRES the F40 or higher BIOS version.
Depending on the BIOS version you have, you may have to do a couple of updates. Notice that that F30 version says you need to do an AMD driver update prior to that BIOS update.
The F40 BIOS says you HAVE to update to F31 before updating to F40.
I would do the AMD driver update. THEN update to F31. THEN the EC FW Update Tool listed in the F40 BIOS. THEN Update to F50a.

Solution