Just installed fresh installed windows 10 and when i rebooted it and my hard drive disappeared

rarepepe

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
So i just fresh installed windows 10 from an iso image on a usb (ryzen 5 1400, r9280x, WD10EZEX drive, A320MA-M.2 board). Installed it in my garage and when it booted into the interface (like to the point where i was on the desktop) I shut it down to bring it to my room so i could plug it into the ethernet and install drivers. when i went to boot it up again windows 10 was gone (it booted straight into the bios) (i had unplugged the usb before starting). So i went to try and install it again but it said my drive wasn't there and needed to search for drivers for it. Also when i went to the bios the drive was listed as windows boot manager. also idk if this is relevant but when i hit browse in the installer windows type files were there (downloads, music, pictures, etc)

Solution
Could be a bunked drive. Plug it in to another Serial ATA (SATA) port and see if it works. Try and see if the SATA power cable works. Also try to swap the SATA data cable. Does the drive spin when you boot to it?

Bscull12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
Very weird, but Windows Boot Manager means that your OS is there. What happens when you boot to it? Make sure it is the highest boot priority. Did you shut it down using the button in Windows or on the PC?

rarepepe

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
I am pretty sure I installed it properly because I got to the desktop. And as for the booting issue I don't know what could be done because I unplugged the USB and checked the BIOS to make sure it was booting from the hard drive.

rarepepe

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
The plot thickens... Tried booting from drive and it takes me straight to bios. But I did some poking around in there and realized there was a setting called windows 10 features w 3 options (other os, windows 10, and whql) tried booting into the first 2 but they both sent me back to the bios

Bscull12

Honorable
Apr 19, 2017
Could be a bunked drive. Plug it in to another Serial ATA (SATA) port and see if it works. Try and see if the SATA power cable works. Also try to swap the SATA data cable. Does the drive spin when you boot to it?

Solution

rarepepe

Reputable
Jul 16, 2015
Can confirm drive is bunked, it eventually booted and when I checked task manager while doing basoc stuff the drive read at like 100% and a driver wouldn't install claiming that drive corruption could be a reason