[SOLVED] Just installed my 960 for a friend but it’s not performing as well

Oct 28, 2019
Okay to preface my question a bit, I had recently bought a 980ti to finally update my rig a little bit. I was previously using a MSI 960 which worked pretty well for me.
I am running:
An i7 4790
1x 16GB stick of Corsair Vengeance RAM
And my OS is on an SSD.

My system ran most things fine, such as World At War. However, my friend has a PC that he just got from another friend and it’s running:
An i5 4690K
Two sticks of RAM. One 8GB stick that I can’t tell the brand of, and one 4GB hyper X stick. Equaling a total of 12GB that the PC does indeed recognize.
He also runs on an SSD.

The Problem:
So when he runs the same game, World at War, the same map that I had run just fine with the 960 it stutters like crazy. On Black Ops 1 he can’t even get more than 40fps on the main menu. I know my GPU is fine, as I was using it up until the hour before I put it in his. His i5 should still be able to run most things pretty decently as I did. My money is on the RAM, which I do have two same brand 4GB Hyper X sticks laying around that I was thinking about trying but I figured I’d ask people here before I scratch my head too much.

Oh and the graphics drivers are indeed all up to date. As well as the chipset drivers.
Thanks in advance!

Solution
What GPU did he have installed?

I would try and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and remove any of his old AMD/Nvidia Drivers, then ins tall the latest driver for the 960.
Oct 28, 2019
What GPU did he have installed?

I would try and run DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) and remove any of his old AMD/Nvidia Drivers, then ins tall the latest driver for the 960.
Oh my bad man, I swore I stated the old GPU, but I guess not. But he had a Gigabyte GTX 780 in there before. I removed the old Graphics driver but I’ve never heard of DDU so I’ll give that a shot first. Thanks!

Oct 28, 2019
Get the RAM running in dual channel mode.

Would a mismatched capacity pair (4+8) still run in dual channel? I don't think so, but I can't remember.
Well, I went ahead and installed my two 4GB sticks of G.Skill ram and that made his rig overall noticably faster (with the boot time etc.) but games are still running like absolute shite. I also tried DDU as suggested above but I still can’t put my finger on the issue. Am I missing any other drivers? Only thing I can think of to do is to reinstall Windows.

cos_ine

Prominent
Nov 8, 2019
Get the RAM running in dual channel mode.

Would a mismatched capacity pair (4+8) still run in dual channel? I don't think so, but I can't remember.
Kinda late to this topic, but yes, mismatched capacity does work together. My friend used an 8GB HyperX stick and a weird brand 4GB stick.