Just installed Windows 8. Win 7 mobo drivers needed?

evilpeppard

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012
My game rig has a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, LGA1366 motherboard. My wife's game rig has a Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3, LGA 1155 motherboard.

I just installed a new Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB SSD in each machine and a fresh copy of Windows 8 Pro. I upgraded the Nvidia video drivers and RealTek sound drivers, but loaded no other drivers. Windows 8 appears to have detected everything just fine.

My question is, do I need to load the motherboard drivers from Gigabyte's site in my Windows 8 install? They only list Windows 7 drivers for our motherboards, but I want to make sure the correct driver is used for the best performance. Should I be fine with the Windows 8 drivers from the install, or should I install the Windows 7 drivers from the Gigabyte website?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or advice.

stoutgamer79

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I'd say if you aren't having any issues in the upgrade, dont worry too much about it. Many of the drivers from Windows 7 to Windows 8 are very similar if not the same. Perhaps Gigabyte has not updated their drivers yet with this in mind but I am sure they will come. I'd say wait it out and keep checking back.

stoutgamer79

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012

You're welcome.

If it makes you feel better I just built two machines and loaded OEM Windows 8 x64 on them. Both of them worked just fine even before going and searching for video drivers etc. It seems that Microsoft has put in alot of effort making sure that enough drivers are loaded initialy to make things work.

evilpeppard

Honorable
Nov 20, 2012

Yeah, I also noticed no issues after the install was complete. Video, audio, and everything else was working just fine. I still went ahead and installed the drivers directly from Nvidia and RealTek for my video and audio.

I am liking Windows 8 so far. Currently playing Rift: Storm Legion and it plays great.