Just making sure there’s nothing else wrong.

narcoleps

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018
First off here is my build.
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Corsair - 200R ATX Mid Tower Case
Sapphire - Radeon RX 580 8GB PULSE Video Card
Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard
Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor

I am using my old hard drive from a precious build. I have had it sitting for a few years fairly loose. I can boot into my bios and everything is posting. But when I try to boot windows it fails every time. I’m almost 100% sure that it is the hard drive so I have ordered a new one. But when I boot the cpu and gpu debug light comes on. They come on one at a time and then go off. Everything looks fine and I can boot into the bios fine. Could it POSSIBLY be anything else just so I’m not wasting money on a hard drive?

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Wait, are you trying to launch Windows off this old hard drive from a previous build in your new PC? This is frequently not going to work at all; it's best practice to fully wipe and reinstall the operating system when reusing a hard drive that was previously operating on a different platform.

narcoleps

Prominent
Oct 14, 2018
I am willing to try this but the situation is I moved away and gave all the components besides my HDD to a friend. How could I do this now? I was not aware of it. If it is the issue I mean it couldn’t hurt to have two hard drives so it wouldn’t be a huge loss.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

You don't need to use your old PC for anything here. If you want to run the operating system from this disk, you need to format the drive and reinstall windows from a flash drive or optical media.