Just need a stable router, current drops a lot 30 mbps internet

NCBrianS

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
So the skinny of my scenario is that I have a netgear wgr614 v7 router, and its been dropping more than a few times, this is especially bad when playing games online(like Destiny) Also, its only a wireless G. Now im sporting a 30 mbps internet which isnt the best, but I may upgrade soon, and want a wireless n router but I dont need all of the bells n whistles, just something thats very stable and DOES THE JOB. What would be the best thing for me in this case? Also, I have a TP link powerline adapter that I use to "hard wire" my ps4/pc and the other 3 people in my house use the net minimally, im the only one that games and utilizes the full speed. If this information is of any use, just putting it out there. Also yes I do try and hard wire by powerline, again when possible, but need something that puts out good strength too as the others use the net upstairs, but I guess this wouldnt be much of an issue usually considering their little usage and stuff.

Solution
I guess it depends on your budget. You can get 802.11ac routers for well under $100.

802.11ac though give no advantage if you do not have adapters in your machine that can use it. This is also true about dual band router and since you are using 802.11g you may not have 5g capable devices.

Still the minimum I would go with is a dual band router that claims 600m. Ie 300+300 This tends to better price point. Routers that support only 150 on each band or single band routers are not all that much cheaper. Routers that can do 450m on each band tend to be more expensive and in real world tests you seldom get a lot of the increase going from 300m to 450m.

All are well under 100m and even the best 802.11ac that claims 1300m...

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
I use a TP-LINK TL-ER604W myself - it's an 'inexpensive' small-business-class wireless router that does 802.11b/g/n, and has been absolutely reliable so far. I can't speak for effective speeds, as the internet connection here at my university tops out at around 10mbps which is pretty painful at times, but it puts out great signal strength and I haven't had it drop me a single time so far. I'm not sure if you need any of this, but the onboard firmware can also do a whole slew of things that most people will probably never need, including traffic monitoring and direction, MAC address filtering, enough security for a small fortress, and quite a bit of other stuff that I'll leave to the networking gurus out there. I know I've had a lot of bad experiences with Netgear products... if $99 isn't too much for you, I'd pick one of these up from NewEgg and give it a try.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704182&cm_re=wireless_router-_-33-704-182-_-Product

Just my opinion based on what little experience I have... take it for what it's worth. :) I've found that the rated speeds on a router are next to worthless - the best thing you can do is give one a chance, as there's a lot more (antenna gain and design, interference tolerance, etc) to getting a stable signal than the maximum rated throughput. Wireless, unfortunately, can be an unpredictable technology at best.
TP-Link has never failed me, and Linksys is right up there with them. Trendnet doesn't really seem to stand out either way; Netgear has never given me anything but trouble, and so I tend to avoid them at all costs. D-Link seems to have a fairly bad reputation as well, but I don't want to say anything having never owned anything from them. If Asus networking products are up to par with the rest of their hardware, they should be excellent, but again I've never owned an Asus router.

I guess it depends on your budget. You can get 802.11ac routers for well under $100.

802.11ac though give no advantage if you do not have adapters in your machine that can use it. This is also true about dual band router and since you are using 802.11g you may not have 5g capable devices.

Still the minimum I would go with is a dual band router that claims 600m. Ie 300+300 This tends to better price point. Routers that support only 150 on each band or single band routers are not all that much cheaper. Routers that can do 450m on each band tend to be more expensive and in real world tests you seldom get a lot of the increase going from 300m to 450m.

All are well under 100m and even the best 802.11ac that claims 1300m only gets a couple hundred meg when you look at real life throughput numbers.

It really is going to come down to money. For $50 you can get a lot of quality ok routers. For $100 you can get the lower end 802.11ac routers and for $200 you get the top of line ones.

As long as you stay with the better manufactures there is not a huge difference between routers that claim similar speeds. Your house will make far more difference which is why it is impossible to actually recommend one brand or another. You will find reviews of every router that say it is great and another that it is garbage. Luckily most routers work ok in most houses but it is unpredictable.

Solution