[SOLVED] Just need to know if this is a good first build

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Building a PC with my girlfriend to edit videos and game on. I'll also be using it to work from home as well. We are both pretty inexperienced and are looking for something around 1,500-2.5k. We had a friend suggest all of these parts for a build and just wanted to get some more opinions. We will need to get OS for it as well. Already have a mouse and keyboard. We have a 24" monitor that we will be upgrading soon. Thanks in advance for any tips/suggestions. We are based in Utah. Open for any suggestions even if its a completely different build.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black/Silver
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia...ics-card-black-silver/6361328.p?skuId=6361328

Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming Motherboard (ATX) AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 Gen2 B450
https://www.amazon.com/ROG-Strix-B450-F-Gaming-Motherboard/dp/B07FKTZC4M

AMD RYZEN 7 3700X 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.4 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000071BOX Desktop Processor
https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-7-3700x/p/N82E16819113567?Item=N82E16819113567

G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232795?item=N82E16820232795&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googleadwords-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googleadwords-pc-_-pla-_-memory+(desktop+memory)-_-N82E16820232795&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlI6JzNKY6gIVDtvACh0jTgjzEAQYASABEgIAMfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

ASUS ROG Thor 850 Certified 850W Fully-Modular RGB Power Supply with LiveDash OLED Panel

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Fully-Modular-Power-Supply-LiveDash/dp/B07JZLGPCB

Samsung (MZ-V7E500BW) 970 EVO SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology, Black/Red
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-970-EVO-500GB-MZ-V7E500BW/dp/B07BN4NJ2J

Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 256MB Cache 3.5-Inch – Frustration Free Packaging (ST2000DM008)
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-Internal-Drive-3-5-Inch/dp/B07H2RR55Q

Cooler Master Liquid ML360R Addressable RGB Close-Loop AIO CPU Liquid Cooler, 360 Radiator, Dual Chamber Pump, Dual MF120R Fans, Independently-Controlled ARGB LEDs for AMD Ryzen/Intel 1151
https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...Liquid-Independently-Controlled/dp/B07DV29GYN

Core P3

https://www.thermaltake.com/core-p3.html

<Font edited by Moderator for readability>

Last edited:
Solution
The 3700x is the best mixture of overall number of threads capability and single core performance, without venturing into "I'm going to need really capable cooling for this". Although, with the coolers you AND I had picked out, you could easily run a 3900x or 3950x as well. But you would be a lot more likely to encounter issues of a thermal nature regarding an inability to maintain boost clocks because those CPUs are simply going to have a higher TDP and nothing can be done about that. IF you were to choose one of those two higher end Ryzen 9 models, it would be advisable to also opt for a much higher end motherboard than what is probably necessary for the Ryzen 7 3700x. Factually however, if you could get something like the Tomahawk...
According to G.Skill, that memory kit is not compatible with that motherboard, and if G.Skill says their own kit won't work, then it's probable that there will at least be problems using it. I'd stick to a kit that shows as validated. For 3200mhz, 2x16GB, G.Skill does not show ANY kits compatible with that motherboard. That is probably because they've not updated the memory compatibility for the B450 motherboards when used with 3000 series Ryzen processors, but I think it's more likely due to the number of ranks on that memory kit. B450 support for 16GB modules is somewhat slim still.

Also, if you don't see or cannot confirm that that motherboard has a "Ready for Ryzen 3000" sticker on the box, then there's a good chance it's not going to work with that CPU without a BIOS update. Since that board does not have BIOS flashback, that means you'd have to get an update kit from AMD, take it to a shop that can update it for you OR borrow a compatible CPU to update it with, before it will work.

Looks like a very nice, highly capable system though.

Reactions: nailedhim

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
According to G.Skill, that memory kit is not compatible with that motherboard, and if G.Skill says their own kit won't work, then it's probable that there will at least be problems using it. I'd stick to a kit that shows as validated. For 3200mhz, 2x16GB, G.Skill does not show ANY kits compatible with that motherboard. That is probably because they've not updated the memory compatibility for the B450 motherboards when used with 3000 series Ryzen processors, but I think it's more likely due to the number of ranks on that memory kit. B450 support for 16GB modules is somewhat slim still.

Also, if you don't see or cannot confirm that that motherboard has a "Ready for Ryzen 3000" sticker on the box, then there's a good chance it's not going to work with that CPU without a BIOS update. Since that board does not have BIOS flashback, that means you'd have to get an update kit from AMD, take it to a shop that can update it for you OR borrow a compatible CPU to update it with, before it will work.

Looks like a very nice, highly capable system though.
Im so glad you pointed that out! I never would have noticed. Looks like it's back to the drawing board. Thank you.

johnofo

Honorable
Jul 10, 2014
The B550 motherboards will be available soon so depending on when you're planning to build, it might be worth waiting for them to release. An alternative is the MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX which is Ryzen 3000 compatible and works well with the 3700X
I'm not too clued up on RAM for Ryzen so I'll leave that to someone else.
The RTX 2070 Super is a very capable card. Its overkill for 1080p but if you're upgrading monitor in the near future its great for 1440p.
That case is mad :ROFLMAO:

The problem, right now at least, is that Covid 19 has caused there to be a stoppage of both manufacturing and shipping out of China, where basically ALL motherboards, fans and power supplies are manufactured. So those items are ALL in short supply right now. The Tomahawk, Gaming Plus, Tomahawk max, and the rest of the "Max" boards, as well as any of the MSI boards with BIOS flashback, are pretty much entirely out of stock everywhere along with any power supply that is even remotely able to be considered good or even decent quality.

No way in hell I'd buy that power supply either. 400 bucks for an 850w PSU, that's just stupidly ridiculous unless you have extremely deep pockets with nothing better to spend it on. Even in the current market there are better options for much less than that. I'd HIGHLY recommend the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium units, which are better, and are made by Seasonic just as that Thor unit is. Although, currently, they are all ridiculous. I'd highly recommend waiting at least a week or two before buying to see if prices start to normalize again or not.

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
The problem, right now at least, is that Covid 19 has caused there to be a stoppage of both manufacturing and shipping out of China, where basically ALL motherboards, fans and power supplies are manufactured. So those items are ALL in short supply right now. The Tomahawk, Gaming Plus, Tomahawk max, and the rest of the "Max" boards, as well as any of the MSI boards with BIOS flashback, are pretty much entirely out of stock everywhere along with any power supply that is even remotely able to be considered good or even decent quality.

No way in hell I'd buy that power supply either. 400 bucks for an 850w PSU, that's just stupidly ridiculous unless you have extremely deep pockets with nothing better to spend it on. Even in the current market there are better options for much less than that. I'd HIGHLY recommend the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium units, which are better, and are made by Seasonic just as that Thor unit is. Although, currently, they are all ridiculous. I'd highly recommend waiting at least a week or two before buying to see if prices start to normalize again or not.
Yeah I noticed a lot of things seemed priced pretty high as well as hard to get. Wish I knew anything about computers but I'm slowly learning. Need to get a build pretty soon due to a job switch and having to return my mac to my old job. Thanks for all the info. I'll look some of those things up. Looks like my friend just threw together what would look cool. Been perusing through the forums looking for something that would meet our needs.

That system definitely looks like a gaming machine, not a machine that is going to serve as a required work component.

What kind of work/job is this going to be and what will be the main requirements for the use of the computer for any job related specifics, if you don't mind me asking?

It's likely that something, even something you CAN use to game on as well, could be done for a lot less than the system I see outlined above if this is to be primarily a work machine. Maybe you simply got too wide eyed in your search and plan for parts?

Don't get me wrong, it's your money and your right to build whatever kind of system you want, BUT, if we're going to say this is primarily for work then perhaps we don't need to be quite so extravagant in the selection and cost of parts.

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
That system definitely looks like a gaming machine, not a machine that is going to serve as a required work component.

What kind of work/job is this going to be and what will be the main requirements for the use of the computer for any job related specifics, if you don't mind me asking?

It's likely that something, even something you CAN use to game on as well, could be done for a lot less than the system I see outlined above if this is to be primarily a work machine. Maybe you simply got too wide eyed in your search and plan for parts?

Don't get me wrong, it's your money and your right to build whatever kind of system you want, BUT, if we're going to say this is primarily for work then perhaps we don't need to be quite so extravagant in the selection and cost of parts.
For me I just have to be able to run my business online and edit videos for some freelance work so being able to smoothly run adobe Premier Pro and After Effects etc. is a must. My girlfriend said she wants to be able to stream and play games on it which I assume will make it cost a bit more. Definitely got too wide eyed but I attribute that to knowing very little about building a computer due to working off of a mac for the last few years and listening to my friend who codes and games. Pretty much just want a jack of all trades. Looks are really important to my girlfriend but I prefer cost efficiency and performance. She also does a little graphic design here and there so pretty much running the entire adobe creative cloud is important. For the past few years I've been working off of a mac and external hard drive and want something with more speed and power.

Last edited:
How much, total, can you ACTUALLY and reasonably afford to throw at a system? Is your heart set on that extravagant case, because you can still do something that looks appealing without going out of bounds with a wall mounted system and such. If you want a decent looking build, that does all you want it to do for work and has enough oomph for pretty fair high level gaming, that can probably be done for substantially less than what you have listed above is going to run. At least in a couple of areas like the case and power supply.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
You stated 2500 US dollars. You will be spending much less then that with the parts you picked or slight changes for compatibility. The most expensive part is the video card. What resolution do you plan on playing at ? Or should I ask what resolution monitor do you want to buy and how many inches ? You can get a nice 27" 144hz and couple that with a 2080 vanilla. I would suggest go intel 9700k will give you best gaming experience and 16 threads for video editing. Also when you render or export your video you can now use your GPU with Premiere. As for Windows a key is 13 bucks. Get the Media Creation Tool and put the OS on USB stick and install it in 5 minutes. Any further questions let us know.

You stated 2500 US dollars. You will be spending much less then that with the parts you picked or slight changes for compatibility. The most expensive part is the video card. What resolution do you plan on playing at ? Or should I ask what resolution monitor do you want to buy and how many inches ? You can get a nice 27" 144hz and couple that with a 2080 vanilla. I would suggest go intel 9700k will give you best gaming experience and 16 threads for video editing. Also when you render or export your video you can now use your GPU with Premiere. As for Windows a key is 13 bucks. Get the Media Creation Tool and put the OS on USB stick and install it in 5 minutes. Any further questions let us know.
Just stop.

We don't advise people to buy 13 dollar stolen POS Windows keys here. K? So don't do that. Don't recommend cheap-keys, Kinguin, G2A, etc. I don't care who says it's ok, it's not, so don't do it. Not here.

Furthermore, since this is primarily a work machine with gaming as a secondary exploit, I don't see the recommendation for a 9700k being particularly valid when most all of the newer Adobe applications are moving to very much being able to use those additional cores and hyperthreads advantageously AND in some cases use hardware acceleration from the GPU, but I'm sure that's something he already knows since he does this professionally and most of those replying to threads around here, don't.

Saying Intel will give you the best gaming experience is like saying you can only win in Nascar if you're driving Jimmy Johnson's Chevy. There is absolutely ZERO compelling reason to buy ANY Intel CPU right now unless you are simply a die hard Intel loyalist.

Next generation when Intel moves to 10nm, then MAYBE there will be, but for now, it's simply more of the same, but with a higher TDP and thermal penalty.

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
How much, total, can you ACTUALLY and reasonably afford to throw at a system? Is your heart set on that extravagant case, because you can still do something that looks appealing without going out of bounds with a wall mounted system and such. If you want a decent looking build, that does all you want it to do for work and has enough oomph for pretty fair high level gaming, that can probably be done for substantially less than what you have listed above is going to run. At least in a couple of areas like the case and power supply.
I mean I wanted to keep it between $1k-$2k but the guy who I was talking to said it was unreasonable to go under 2k. My girlfriend ended up hating that case anyways so I'm open for any suggestions. To me performance is everything she just doesn't want it to be a huge eyesore. She loves all those purple, blue, and pink looking ones all over tiktok. We already have a nice keyboard and mouse. I am totally open to any suggestions on different builds or resources to check out because I'm such a laymen when it comes to computers. Thanks for all the responses so far by the way.

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Yeah hopefully I can get something for well below that. But my friend IRL told me it was unrealistic to go under 2k. I'll look at some monitors right now to get a better idea of what resolution. I'm planning on using two for workflow purposes. Totally sick of having to tab out all the time. Also thanks for the tips.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Just stop.

We don't advise people to buy 13 dollar stolen POS Windows keys here. K? So don't do that. Don't recommend cheap-keys, Kinguin, G2A, etc. I don't care who says it's ok, it's not, so don't do it. Not here.

Furthermore, since this is primarily a work machine with gaming as a secondary exploit, I don't see the recommendation for a 9700k being particularly valid when most all of the newer Adobe applications are moving to very much being able to use those additional cores and hyperthreads advantageously AND in some cases use hardware acceleration from the GPU, but I'm sure that's something he already knows since he does this professionally and most of those replying to threads around here, don't.

Saying Intel will give you the best gaming experience is like saying you can only win in Nascar if you're driving Jimmy Johnson's Chevy. There is absolutely ZERO compelling reason to buy ANY Intel CPU right now unless you are simply a die hard Intel loyalist.

Next generation when Intel moves to 10nm, then MAYBE there will be, but for now, it's simply more of the same, but with a higher TDP and thermal penalty.

The 13 dollar key is legit it is not stolen relax my friend. It is legit. I don't know what your on.

The 13 dollar key is legit it is not stolen relax my friend. It is legit. I don't know what your on.

You haven't the slightest clue what you are talking about, while I on the other hand have the benefit of closed door conversations with an entire team of moderators who've been doing this since 20 years before you were even born, and direct conversations with both US and Southeast Asia Microsoft executive relations teams, in addition to the MANY indisputable articles that specifically call out EVERY SINGLE ONE of the cheap key sites for exactly what you are recommending people to buy.

If you want to advise people that it's a good idea to purchase those shady keys from shady key sites, you can go do it on LTT or Reddit, not here. Thanks.

And for what it's worth, it's not legit. NOT ONE SINGLE CHEAP KEY is legit. That is per directly from Microsoft, so there can be no argument to that fact. Microsoft has zero partnerships with ANY discount or cheap key sites, and has expressly stated that for those kind of keys it's only a matter of time before they get black listed, one by one. AND, they do. We see it every week here. That's the legal side of it. On the moral side of it, it's a lot more complex, but you're basically supporting organized criminals who obtain those keys illegally when you purchase them. That's another thing we don't support here on these forums either.

If that seems a little strong or harsh, well, I'm sorry, but it's a harsh subject.

Last edited:
Well, now the 3700x is no longer available anywhere. This just gets better all the time. First it was motherboards, then power supplies and fans, and now it looks like CPUs are joining the ranks of hardware that we can't get because the world has gone insane.

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Well, now the 3700x is no longer available anywhere. This just gets better all the time. First it was motherboards, then power supplies and fans, and now it looks like CPUs are joining the ranks of hardware that we can't get because the world has gone insane.
Crazy times. It will be fun piecing things together as they become available. LOL. The budget I have is pretty flexible. I really have no idea what's a good amount to spend on a PC and what is complete overkill. "The bitterness of poor quality lingers LONG after the sweetness of a cheap "deal" has been forgotten." That quote pretty much sums up what I'm going for. Good quality and bang for my buck.

Your friend is somewhat of a lunatic imo.

But yes parts and prices are all over the place at the moment.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($273.47 @ Walmart)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU Cooler ($74.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($110.20 @ Newegg)
Storage: Toshiba X300 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($109.98 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Light ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1150.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-28 04:41 EDT-0400

Just thrown together in a few minutes to give you an idea.

Haven't added a GPU but a rtx2060/2060 super, rx 5600xt/5700 will still keep you below $1500

That open air case you picked would be an absolutely nightmare to keep clean and noisy to boot, makes no sense in a real world setup in my opinion.

Picked you one of the best cases on the market with the fractal, you could knock money off dropping to a cheaper case, the older r5 is $50 less, all the fractals are virtually silent.

Last edited:

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020
Actually, they are available. I don't know why PCPP is not showing them available for any retailers. Both Amazon and Newegg have them. I'll work you up a build tomorrow. Been a long day today.
I mean realistically we can spend anywhere between $1,500-$4,000. We just want something that will be relevant for awhile and be really good visually as well as keeping up with all the editing and gaming we do. My earlier pricing was only considering the actual computer and not the OS, monitors, cable management etc. We have been saving for a long time for a good build and the craziness going on now has given us the perfect opportunity to start working from home. But we also still appreciate good deals, lol. Also the push to have a more expensive/higher quality system is coming from my girlfriend... She has supplied a more bountiful supply of funds which makes me a lucky guy. I guess I'm the more frugal one!

nailedhim

Reputable
Jun 23, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($112.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX6000 Pro 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($67.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($125.99 @ Best Buy)

Haven't added a GPU but a rtx2060/2060 super, rx 5600xt/5700 will still keep you below $1500

That open air case you picked would be an absolutely nightmare to keep clean and noisy to boot, makes no sense in a real world setup in my opinion.

Picked you one of the best cases on the market with the fractal, you could knock money off dropping to a cheaper case, the older r5 is $50 less, all the fractals are virtually silent.
Thank you, I had no idea park picker existed until you and DarkBreeze mentioned it. Been fun looking through it.

PCPartPicker Part List

That PSU, cannot be had for less than 205 dollars. The one on Amazon for 115 dollars has 75 dollars shipping and the one from Best Buy is sold out and has been for weeks. Same with Newegg. Same with Corsair. I don't really know why everybody keeps trying to tell me (Not you) "it's not that bad. There's plenty of availability and prices are only slightly higher than normal".

No, that's BS. Not even remotely true. Prices LOOK only slightly higher than normal if you go by the initial impression until you realize that anything that looks even remotely normalized in price right now has got some ridiculous shipping cost tacked onto it OR it is simply not available even though PCPP says that it is. Motherboards and power supplies, forget about it. You WILL pay at least 50 bucks more than normal retail, at least, if you can even get one, for any commonly recommended or halfway decent component.