Just of curiosity. Ryzen are equivalent to what intel cpu per single core performance

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016
So in most casses skylake/kaby lake crushes ryzen average performance.
Are ryzen chips equivalent to sandy/ivy or haswell when it comes in performance.
From i gathered ryzen single core performance is around sandy bridge.
I may be wrong what do you think ?
Cheers,

Solution
Ryzen cores are equivalent to broadwell cores, but in Ryzen processors they are grouped (4+4) for R7, and (3+3), (2+2) on R5. So while being just as fast individually or when 'talking' in their own core complex, performance can be lower when taking to another core complex takes place. More L3 cache, more cores per complex, and higher interconnection speed (RAM speed) helps.
They're roughly equivalent to haswell/broadwell clock for clock, but they don't clock as high for the most part.

Skylake and Kaby Lake "crush" Ryzen in single core performance I guess, but if you need more threads, then Ryzen is a much much better deal. You can't just say "average performance," they each have their advantages.

Tech_TTT

Notable
Apr 4, 2017

"crush" is an exaggeration .. they are faster but they no way "crush" the ryzen .

SeverinV

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2016

People will say "crush" even if the difference is less then 1%.

neblogai

Distinguished
Ryzen cores are equivalent to broadwell cores, but in Ryzen processors they are grouped (4+4) for R7, and (3+3), (2+2) on R5. So while being just as fast individually or when 'talking' in their own core complex, performance can be lower when taking to another core complex takes place. More L3 cache, more cores per complex, and higher interconnection speed (RAM speed) helps.

Solution