Just ordered what do u think?

j3d1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Its a sub $550 build before the rebates

Hardware is as follows

i3-2100
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Rosewill Green Series RG430-S12 430W (sing 12v rail)
HIS Radeon 6850 with 2 free games Shogun2/Dirt3
Asrock 1155 h61 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157246
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB
Rosewill Challenger Case
SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA

Really excited to put this together it will be my first build!!! I worked on it a long time so plz let me hear what u think!

j3d1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Ya i dont really c the point of doing that to myself lol. the i3-2100 outperforms all the multi cores and is a lot better for gaming aspects.

And theres no point in trying to holdout for a am3 upgrade bulldozer idea. No one knows when its coming out and it will sure be out of my price range when it does thats garunteed.

i3-2100 best budget cpu IMO

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

The PSU is fine, especially since he's not overclocking.

If you're going to criticize his build at least provide some evidence for what you're saying or have a better suggestion.

If you want a more efficient PSU try this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817815007&Tpk=xigmatek%20400w

j3d1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
ya thanks.

yes i know the psu isnt the best quality psu in the world u could buy brand wise.

but rosewill has been gettin better psus consistently and i thought it was a safe choice.

plenty of positive reviews about the power supply so im not really worried.

plz dont just come in my thread flaming me like a troll its really disrespectful. Ive spent a lot of time on this build and a little respect would go a long way

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Green-Series-630-W-RG630-S12-Power-Supply-Review/881/1

is a good review of one of the green series psu's rosewill is offering

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
i wouldnt dare waste ~$45 (including shipping) on that rosewill unit when i could get an OCZ modxstream edit: 500w for 54.99 instant, and then use a $20MIR (free shipping). better unit, less cost, and offers a better upgrade path.

when speaking of flaming it may be wise to consider your initial post of "phailnom", although your reasoning cant be argued with. however, its ignorant to overlook specific areas in which certain phenom II series are indeed a good buy.

personally, i disregard newegg reviews. the majority are comparable to asking an adolescent how life was in WWI.

why offer a better suggestion when the parts have already been bought? think before you speak, flamebaiter.

also, you couldve saved a little money by purchasing DDR3 1333 ram, rather than the 1600mhz ram that isnt supported in any way on that board. otherwise, it is a good build and im certain youll be satisfied with it. no disrespect intended at all.

j3d1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
ya didnt realize that about the memory but it is 10 dollars off anyways so i would of only saved 1 dollar compard to the 1333

i dont agree with you about newegg customer reviews. ya there not exactly what u would want all the time but if u get a large volume u can come up with your own idea of the product from them. because there is a lot of tech savvy people that buy from newegg and then write a review on that product.

only thing phenom has over the i3 is ocing ability and greater multitasking ability and i mean heavy multi tasking. even if you oc most of the amd cards only a handful could outperform the i3 fully overclocked and thats more unstable for your processor in the long run imo

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

I just pointed out how your criticisms of the PSU are both unfounded and you didn't offer any better suggestions. Again, you still don't provide any links saying the Rosewill PSU he selected is a bad model. Suggesting it would blow up his computer is just asinine without any evidence.

He is obviously building this machine for gaming and the i3-2100 is faster than any AMD processors for gaming. It also consumes about half the power and offers a much more definitive upgrade path.

Newegg customer reviews are a much better measure of long-term reliability than anything else including thorough review sites.

I really don't see the need for him to get a PSU besides the Rosewill, I just gave a personal recommendation. You didn't provide any recommendations and don't even link what you now suggest.

Please stop implying that DDR3 1333 is cheaper than DDR3 1600.... he doesn't even provide any links. Just noticed how the OP showed how wrong you are at making assumptions.

Again, completely disregard the post from justaguywithagun, the Rosewill would work fine.

Ignore anyone who tells you customer reviews aren't helpful.

j3d1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
thanks a lot for the support man. this is my first build and that kind of criticism does get me a little worried.

the reassurance is greatly appreciated.

ya i used the psucalculator site and went over aging and everything to make sure the psu i selected performing at at least 80+ would do what i needed it to do for a long time to come.

rosewill is a pretty good brand as far as computer hardware goes so i dont see how you could think they would make such a horrible psu.

plz go ruin someone elses day

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

They're hit or miss but generally offer a decent value.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=32
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=60
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Libertas-800-W-Power-Supply-Review/1056/10

It's usually mentioned how good they are for their price.

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
search newegg for that powersupply, pardon me. it seems pointless to post links, once again, because the parts have been ordered already.

the need for switching powersupplies comes from the total lack of information about the rosewill unit, versus the plethora of reviews (GIYF) about the modxstream, plus the modxstream is marginally cheaper

the only thing suggested about the rosewill is there might be issues with it. thats it. youre implying a violent part death. at worst im guilty of being >maybe< a little over-the-top about the rosewill unit, but did so only to make a point. youre really blowing this out of proportion, bub. wait, and I being trolled? sounds like it.

also, yet >again<, his choice in the i3 for gaming is a good choice. its just brainless to use the term "phailnom", and congratulating him on that is pretty fanboyish i must say.

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

please dont ask for criticism on an internet forum.

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
Let's repost your quote to have the proper perpective.

You imply that the PSU is crappy without any evidence. You also imply that he needs to spend $20 more for a PSU worth owning. Both of these statements are false and unfounded and contribute nothing to the post.

How did I manage to post three Rosewill reviews when there's a "total lack of information?" Apparently you didn't even do any research and just wanted to make an unsubstantiated negative post.

You imply that it's a crappy PSU and that it'll give him issues (again, this is false) but now you're telling us you didn't imply it could blow up. Good thing you made that clear in the first post...

If you didn't make a useless negative post in the first place you wouldn't have to ask if you were being trolled.

The i3-2100 is faster than any AMD chip and I wanted to reassure him of his decision. Either way I'd still like to see any evidence the Rosewill PSU should be avoided to validate your post.

How so. Want to provide any evidence?

j3d1

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
ya i dont get all the hate on the rosewill psu. I mean ya its not one of the golden brands but its far from crap.

i thought tomshardware.com forums were different. i come from a dota community so dont try to act as if i dont know what bad online manners are.

so far though ur the first one to act like this so i wouldnt contribute it to these forums but to one person who is awful mad for some reason.

ive only been researching hardware for a month for this build so i dont know every thing there is to know about the hardware but i do know a pretty good amount i think.

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
If you want consistently good advice go to overclock.net. Here you see the same people posting a topic for help then try to post advice in another thread.

People are still advised to get Phenom IIs for budget systems when an i3 based system is faster and costs the same (less if you factor in a year or two worth of power savings). ***Some idiot fanboy will say "but, but, but encoding...." when 99.9% of systems here are built for gaming.

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
keep it relative. you posted reviews that arent of the specific unit in question...much less even the same series.
lulz @ me not doing research. your research is as good as getting facts about a ford F150 to buy a porsche 911. would you research a gigabyte motherboard and apply that research towards an asus purchase? i sincerely hope not.
the simple fact is that rosewill IS hit or miss (your own words) and his money would be better spent elsewhere.

regardless, why would you ask for an honest opinion on hardware already purchased and become upset when someone doesnt pat you on the back and admire your supreme parts choice? pardon the light sarcasm, please. its senseless.

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009

holy smokes! you mean people sometimes need help on one issue, and then helps others with issues theyve already figured out?!?! golly gee, what a horrible community /sarcasm

get out troll, go back to your precious overclock.net

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

You assert there are no reviews of Rosewills on the internet and that's why we should avoid them. It's obvious there are reviews for their PSUs to give us some idea of what the brand is about. Just like how not every Corsair or SeaSonic unit is reviewed but we can make some implications about their quality.

Rosewill is hit or miss but so is just about every brand not named SeaSonic. I'm still waiting for you to post some evidence to validate your assertion that the Rosewill unit should be avoided.

I'm absolutely saying that anyone who asks for help in a post should never give any advice because the only people who ask for help in forums are either computer illiterate or too stupid/lazy to research it on their on. In either case these people should never give any advice.

I'm not sure what you're doing here but I think it's trolling considering you not only gave no useful information but even worse, you gave false and misleading information.

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

Ignore this.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2010/10/22/ati-radeon-hd-6850-review/9

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
i asserted there are no reviews on that specific power supply. wake up. you havent proven otherwise, and you havent even shown reviews from that specific line of powersupply (green series, any wattage). worse yet, you try and pass off completely unrelated and useless reviews of other units to someone who obviously doesnt have a clue..yet im the troll? lrn2nturnet.

seriously, why spend more money (fact) on a unit that has no real reviews on it (fact)? its a chance that i, personally, would not take.

maybe im a bit anal retentive, but i wouldnt buy anything based on an assumption. "oh, well, the antec neo v1 520w has capacitor issues, the v2 must be even worster!!1one!". no, i'd be a fool, and i cant think of a single rosewill review where the author said the unit was spectacular or noteworthy regardless of the series. you still cant dispute the fact that the modxstream 500w is a better buy.

browsingtheworld

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011

You really should do some research and be informed before posting anything.

Here's a HWS review, one of the two best PSU review sites out there, giving the green 630W an award:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Rosewill-Green-Series-630-W-RG630-S12-Power-Supply-Review/881/10
JG giving Rosewill PSUs recommendations:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=60
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=32

The green unit is from the same series. I guess it's unrelated right?

I didn't recommend the PSU, I just know it's sufficient for his computer unlike what you tried to assert.

I'm still not sure how the Modstream is a better deal considering it costs more and he won't ever use that wattage. If he didn't care about saving money I can recommend him an AX1200 because it's better too.

justaguywithagun

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I'm sure the Modstream is a better deal considering it costs less after MIR (considering overall shipping costs) and instant coupon code, he even has room to upgrade now
fixed.

mmkay, i did obviously miss the review of the 630w green.
time to split hairs: its still not the 430w, so its obviously different internally. fyi that was a troll statement.