[SOLVED] Just out of morbit curiosity did Microsoft ever fix the corrupt hard disk bug in Win 10?

outlawstar15a2

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
Did Microsoft ever fix the Win 10 NTFS bug mentioned in this article? https://www.theverge.com/2021/1/15/...s-10-bug-icon-file-flaw-vulnerability-comment

I haven't experienced it because I'm usually very careful what I download and from where but I'm about to get my system running after several months of inactivity and I am feeling super paranoid after learning about it. Also does the bug brick the storage medium itself (thus requiring a RMA) or just corrupt the filesystem?

Solution
it depends when they discovered the bug as to if they fixed it yet. Article is only a week old, so fix might need to be put into a Cumulative update and I doubt it was in the last one. It might be an additional update but those aren't always a good idea to get early.

If you careful and only open zips from trusted places, you should be okay.

I think you find it corrupts windows, not the drive. Yes, that could be seen as same thing but you can reinstall win10 to fix it, it shouldn't break storage media...

Colif

Win 11 Master
it depends when they discovered the bug as to if they fixed it yet. Article is only a week old, so fix might need to be put into a Cumulative update and I doubt it was in the last one. It might be an additional update but those aren't always a good idea to get early.

If you careful and only open zips from trusted places, you should be okay.

I think you find it corrupts windows, not the drive. Yes, that could be seen as same thing but you can reinstall win10 to fix it, it shouldn't break storage media...

Solution