[SOLVED] Just purchased an RTX 3080 for my old gaming PC, will I get by?

Oct 28, 2021
I built my gaming PC back in 2014 or so. I just upgraded the GPU from GTX 770 SC ACX 2GB -> RTX 3080 FTW3 10G for 1440p/4k gaming.

These are the rest of my PC specs,

CPU: i7 4770k
MB: ASUS Z87-A
PSU: TX750M (750W)
RAM: 16gb DDR3

I haven't followed the world of latest hardware and compatibilities, so I just wanted some thoughts on whether I'll get by with this setup for now or I absolutely need to upgrade the rest of my build?

I hope to game on 4k but can settle with 1440p as well. I'm not sure if the i7 4770k will be a huge bottleneck. I definitely plan to upgrade the build in the future but I'd rather not dish out the money now if I can get away with it.

If you guys have suggestions on things I should absolutely upgrade, I'm all ears though.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If you game in 4K or 1440p you should be fine in most games.
The 4770k is really the same as the 4790K and is a bit old but still a good gaming processor for most games.

EDIT I went from a 4790K to the 10600K because I needed the extra cores for some work programs but the 4790K was still fine for the games I played.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
If you game in 4K or 1440p you should be fine in most games.
The 4770k is really the same as the 4790K and is a bit old but still a good gaming processor for most games.

EDIT I went from a 4790K to the 10600K because I needed the extra cores for some work programs but the 4790K was still fine for the games I played.

Last edited:
Reactions: RodroX
Solution
I built my gaming PC back in 2014 or so. I just upgraded the GPU from GTX 770 SC ACX 2GB -> RTX 3080 FTW3 10G for 1440p/4k gaming.

These are the rest of my PC specs,

CPU: i7 4770k
MB: ASUS Z87-A
PSU: TX750M (750W)
RAM: 16gb DDR3

I haven't followed the world of latest hardware and compatibilities, so I just wanted some thoughts on whether I'll get by with this setup for now or I absolutely need to upgrade the rest of my build?

I hope to game on 4k but can settle with 1440p as well. I'm not sure if the i7 4770k will be a huge bottleneck. I definitely plan to upgrade the build in the future but I'd rather not dish out the money now if I can get away with it.

If you guys have suggestions on things I should absolutely upgrade, I'm all ears though.

Thanks in advance!

No point in upgrading the rest of your build till you test how it perform for all the games you like. The 4770K was a strong performant, but I think there will be a few games that will limit your new RTX 3080 (depending on your gaming resolution/graphic settings). This is not math, is really hard to give you a 100% sure answer, there are many factors that will affect performance in game: the game type, if you play single player or multiplayer, how many apps and what kind are you runing in the background?, streaming, , etc.

Also another reason not wait is that we will get the first independent testings of the new Intel Alder Lake CPUs later next week. We don't know how good or bad they will perform vs older Intel or AMD Ryzen in gaming (unless you wana believe intels internal test) but I think is a good idea to wait a little bit more. Also price may adjust a little bit after it.

But please when/if you can share with us how its working at 1440p and/or 4K? and what games have you tested?

At 1080p the CPU is more important as you go up the resolution to 1440p and 4k games become more GPU limited. Anyway if you wana know how your cpu compare at least in part (1080p) to newer ones you can start by checking this video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9HV9V5nzOc

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS