Just put a i7 4790k into my build

Solution
I agree the base cooler from Intel is rather poor, because naturally on a Z97 board like you have (and you can see this with HWINFO ) that the 4790K will automatically get turbo boosts up to 4.4Ghz from its original 4.0Ghz rating, and surprisingly bring up the temp up, you could redo the paste between cpu/heatsink or just get a simple aftermarket one. Fry's, microcenter are stores that carry them on hand and for LGA1150 compatible to 1151 for later use if need be.. about 20-30$ at most will reduce temps from 50c at idle to 30'c at idle and 80'c to 70'c under normal load. But just peek at HWINFO and see if the Intel Heatsink is doing its job, otherwise, your set
Right-click on graph and select "Change graph to > Logical Processors".
Should look like this:
capture1_thumb.png

Hi Im Col

Honorable
Apr 17, 2017

Not going to overclock it and i have the gigabyte z97p D3

I agree the base cooler from Intel is rather poor, because naturally on a Z97 board like you have (and you can see this with HWINFO ) that the 4790K will automatically get turbo boosts up to 4.4Ghz from its original 4.0Ghz rating, and surprisingly bring up the temp up, you could redo the paste between cpu/heatsink or just get a simple aftermarket one. Fry's, microcenter are stores that carry them on hand and for LGA1150 compatible to 1151 for later use if need be.. about 20-30$ at most will reduce temps from 50c at idle to 30'c at idle and 80'c to 70'c under normal load. But just peek at HWINFO and see if the Intel Heatsink is doing its job, otherwise, your set

Solution