Just reinstalled with windows 7, Cpu not running past 5%, 4 minute boot times, random crashes whilst booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russtymango

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I have recently attempted to repair an old HP Pavilion Dv6, the OS was corrupted so I just decided to format the main drive and reinstall the OS. However once I got it to boot with the new OS, it was horribly slow, took between 2-5 minutes to open default applications and would often crash before opening. So when I restarted the computer it took 4-5 minutes to boot, I have since done this multiple times and each time it will take 4-5 minutes to boot and also would sometimes just crash before I even got to the desktop. I have also noticed that the Cpu runs at between 0-5% however it does sometimes spikes to 30-40%. I have once got the error (SQM Logger stopped due to this error code 0xc0000185) during my many attempts to get an successful boot. Any Ideas to how I can fix this laptop, or is it dead?

Specs:
Hp Pavilion Dv6
Windows 7 Pro
i7 Q720 @ 1.6 GHz
500 Gb harddrive
4G Ram

Russtymango

Reputable
May 19, 2015
Well I did a scandisk check and I got this when i rebooted the machine, "The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the hard disk test in system diagnostics" So does that mean the hard drive has failed or is it something else?

Russtymango

Reputable
May 19, 2015
I also did the system diagnostics test and got the following results:
Hard disk 1 full 305
Hard disk 1 quick 303
Hard disk 1 smart 301

I looked around and it seems that from what I have read the hard drive needs replacing, I am going to get a new one and we will see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS