[SOLVED] Just replaced my old kraken x61 with a Deepcool assassin 3 and not seeing much difference in temperature? Should I be concerned?

Solution
It's a prime z270-Ar motherboard. not very old. I didn't think to do full tests on the Kraken before putting in the new one but I was noticing the CPU cores were hitting the 80+ that's ultimately why I decided to get a new cooler not sure what to do next if anything at all to try lower my temps
Still hitting 80s when on loading screens of games or starting programs only for seconds though
Just ran Cinebench and hit around 82 Degrees Celcius

When you have such quick responses with additional info, please 'edit' your post rather than creating additional responses.

Those temps sound fine. The Z270-A probably could do with some active airflow over the VRM, so the air cooler is likely a better option anyway.

As far...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Not sure what you're asking? I don't see any reason to be concerned (on a temp front).
On the CPU, it looks like you've shaved off anywhere from 9-17'C, depending on the core, as far as peak temps go.

Depending on the length of your tests, the AIO may continue to climb as the liquid reaches a steady state.... The air cooler will arrive there much quicker.

For the GPU, an air cooler will typically result in a few degree increase over an AIO, as the heat source is right next to the GPU (in a conventional layout, no risers etc) vs an AIO where the 'heat' is more prominent at the Rad and likely exhausted immediately from there.

Nugget_Tv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
Not sure what you're asking? I don't see any reason to be concerned (on a temp front).
On the CPU, it looks like you've shaved off anywhere from 9-17'C, depending on the core, as far as peak temps go.

Depending on the length of your tests, the AIO may continue to climb as the liquid reaches a steady state.... The air cooler will arrive there much quicker.

For the GPU, an air cooler will typically result in a few degree increase over an AIO, as the heat source is right next to the GPU (in a conventional layout, no risers etc) vs an AIO where the 'heat' is more prominent at the Rad and likely exhausted immediately from there.
thanks for the reply! I guess I was just curious if the 10 or so degrees is considered a good temp drop. I'm still getting 60 -70 degrees when gaming which isn't a huge difference from the Kraken and idling around 40. the only difference was with the Kraken my games were stuttering and pc was crashing. Would this mean It was thermal throttling?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
thanks for the reply! I guess I was just curious if the 10 or so degrees is considered a good temp drop.

On a 7700K @ 1.35V, a 10+'C reduction is decent, yes. It's not like you went from a 'bad' AIO either, so a good AIO to a good tower cooler could've gone either way.

Would this mean It was thermal throttling?

Not necessarily - and if you're monitoring temps and you didn't exceed ~85'C, then no. Those temps are definitely warm, but shouldn't be throttling territory.

What motherboard are you running? It's possible the VRMs were getting too hot, which could cause instability. Depending on the configuration, AIOs either reduce or remove airflow across the board vs a tower cooler. Your VRMs will now be getting active airflow from the Assassin, which might explain the stability vs the AIO.

Nugget_Tv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017
On a 7700K @ 1.35V, a 10+'C reduction is decent, yes. It's not like you went from a 'bad' AIO either, so a good AIO to a good tower cooler could've gone either way.

Not necessarily - and if you're monitoring temps and you didn't exceed ~85'C, then no. Those temps are definitely warm, but shouldn't be throttling territory.

What motherboard are you running? It's possible the VRMs were getting too hot, which could cause instability. Depending on the configuration, AIOs either reduce or remove airflow across the board vs a tower cooler. Your VRMs will now be getting active airflow from the Assassin, which might explain the stability vs the AIO.
It's a prime z270-Ar motherboard. not very old. I didn't think to do full tests on the Kraken before putting in the new one but I was noticing the CPU cores were hitting the 80+ that's ultimately why I decided to get a new cooler not sure what to do next if anything at all to try lower my temps

Nugget_Tv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017

Still hitting 80s when on loading screens of games or starting programs only for seconds though

Nugget_Tv

Reputable
Jan 19, 2017

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

When you have such quick responses with additional info, please 'edit' your post rather than creating additional responses.

Those temps sound fine. The Z270-A probably could do with some active airflow over the VRM, so the air cooler is likely a better option anyway.

As far as decreasing temps further, you're really limited to
A. Improving airflow in your case
B. Increase fan speed on the cooler
C. Manually tuning to voltage

Reactions: Nugget_Tv
Solution