Just saying hello and I have a rig question

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019
so i have just recently got my first gaming pc from a good friend who just upgraded to a whole new rig. I currently have a windows pro 10, with intel I5 processor, and a 500W PSU and a ASrock 87extreme Mother board. and 8 gb of ram with a gtx 660. So today I am adding a gtx 1060 3gb and 8 more gb of ram. my question is this. I should see a big diferrence right in speed and performance? also my monitor is 144hrtz @ 1ms...my games so far are BF5, Dark Souls, POE, lots off open world and fast paced games. As this is my first rig I am very excited about to be a part of this world now. Thanks

Solution
It's not too bad, there are literally 100 videos on YouTube of how to do it. Any Intel processor since... Probably 2005 would be the same process

You'd want a better cpu cooler would probably be required with the new cpu (something like a cyroig h7 or h5

Overclocking also isn't too hard Im guessing you could go into bios advanced mode and just change the multiplier from 36 (or 32 I don't remember if it lists boost or base clock) to 38 or 40

Overclocking is running the processor (in this case) faster than it originally runs. Basically I'll run 200-400 mhz faster than the spec sheet lists.

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019

So let me ask you then since again I am new to this, what processor should I get? or can I get?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
You should be able to cheat a bit and oc your processor even though it's locked it should be able to go to 3.8-4.0

See if that helps some after your GPU upgrade.

A 4770k is a good bit cheaper than a 4790k and basically the same performance if you wanted to give it a bit of a boost (buy either second hand)

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019

what does overclock mean and how is that done? thank you for all the help, and so I can buy that second hand? is installment easy?

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
It's not too bad, there are literally 100 videos on YouTube of how to do it. Any Intel processor since... Probably 2005 would be the same process

You'd want a better cpu cooler would probably be required with the new cpu (something like a cyroig h7 or h5

Overclocking also isn't too hard Im guessing you could go into bios advanced mode and just change the multiplier from 36 (or 32 I don't remember if it lists boost or base clock) to 38 or 40

Overclocking is running the processor (in this case) faster than it originally runs. Basically I'll run 200-400 mhz faster than the spec sheet lists.

Solution

mackjohnsonforty

Reputable
Jan 22, 2019

I just wanted to give you an update. So I dropped my new Forza Ram so now I have a total of 16 gb its maxed out for that motherboard. and then I placed in the GTX 1060. and o my gosh it was too me like a whole new set up. plus my new mouse and keyboard came the same day. it's a havic type...and my rig is silent and sounds great.

I think I am good to go from this point. It was such a difference with 144hrtz picture display. and finally no slide show for 3 hours straight. Thanks again for your help. This is a great forum for sure.