[SOLVED] Just some general build questions

Invrlose

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2012
My PC is aging and it's time to build a new one...

I'm not as in to gaming as I was when I built my PC ~5.5 years ago, but I still want to build a decent rig.

Can I reuse my Corsair AX860i, or should I replace it? This PSU has not given me any issues and I have no reason to suspect that it is even close to being worn out.

Will I have to do a fresh install of windows or can I plug my SSD and HDD directly in to my new MOBO and away I go?

I plan on going with an RTX 2070, I do not want to do SLI and my only other PCIe accessory will be a wifi card. Therefore I do not need a tonne of extra room and I am wondering if there is much of a performance drop with regards to cooling when you go from a full tower to a mid tower. My full tower right now has 3 140mm fans on the front, one on the bottom, 3 on the top, and one in the back. If I go to a smaller mid tower case will I still be able to keep good temps with less fans since the volume inside the case will be less?

Do games still not utilise hyperthreading? When i built my PC 5.5 years ago, as far as I was aware, new games did NOT utilise hyperthreading and therefore it was a waste of $ to go to an i7 over an i5. Currently I am looking at the new i5 9600k, but if new games can utilise hyperthreading I don't mind paying a bit more.

The games I mostly play do not require a tonne of power, HOWEVER I love to play Arma 3 and so it's very frustrating for me that all of the games I play run great on my current PC except for Arma 3 which often chugs along at 25fps. I used to get 35-40FPS with an overclock on my 4670k, but my motherboard is dying... My overclock settings have reset to factory and I can't access BIOS. Will a 9600k, 2070, 16GB of DDR4 RAM, and my same SSD run Arma 3 at 1440p at a good frame rate?

Thanks,
Layne

Solution
Wait to see what AMD releases next week.

But if I were you, I'd just use a locked i7-8700 and not worry about it.
AMD 2600 is quite nice as well, but just wait.

Gtx1070ti is a more secure way to go today

Go ahead and reuse any parts you can, as well as the PSU.

Hyperthreading depends on the game you play.

Full to mid tower? Depends on which you pick, you're talking about cooling performance? There are better ones than others.

You will have to reinstall windows on your main hdd
Wait to see what AMD releases next week.

But if I were you, I'd just use a locked i7-8700 and not worry about it.
AMD 2600 is quite nice as well, but just wait.

Gtx1070ti is a more secure way to go today

Go ahead and reuse any parts you can, as well as the PSU.

Hyperthreading depends on the game you play.

Full to mid tower? Depends on which you pick, you're talking about cooling performance? There are better ones than others.

You will have to reinstall windows on your main hdd

Solution