Just started a blaster....

My first character in coH was a gimpy blaster that got to about level
12 before i abandoned him for my trusty claw/regen scrapper, Cat
Ninetails (Vict.)

Played around with a MC/Kin controller, currently 17 , Grandfather Man
(Vict) but i just started Power Barbie (Prot), an energy/energy blaster
that's out of this world!

All the knockback in Energy means she's highly soloable, and with even
one other Energy/energy blaster, the teamings been great so far.
Around Level 5, she toured the hollows with Two other E/E blasters and
no one else; it was raining +2 Trolls and Outcast all through the
lowlands of Cherry Hills, and no one died. No good guys, anyway.

My questions: what power pools do you guys recommend for her? probably
Fitness, Flying, maybe Fighting, but then what? (BTW, i like to have a
RP rationale for power choices, and these three fill the bill, ie she
is a Mutant, develops the power to channel some kind of cosmic energy
and it keeps her healthy, strong and ......airborne? Little help from
the story geeks out there?

and:

she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?

Thanks,

Sean

Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible. At 30, Cat
Ninetails doesn't have it yet, but she's never out of attacks unless
she's seriously Slowed, so I'm not sure in her case if it's needed...

I guess if I take Hasten with the blaster...it affects recharge on
Build Up, so it pops more often, but how close is that to being perma?
(assuming i've reached permaHasten)...

Sean

seansmith999@hotmail.com wrote:
> (Vict) but i just started Power Barbie (Prot), an energy/energy blaster
> that's out of this world!
>
> All the knockback in Energy means she's highly soloable, and with even
> one other Energy/energy blaster, the teamings been great so far.

I've had great luck with electric/energy.

> My questions: what power pools do you guys recommend for her?

Fitness, Hasten and a travel power (I took Super Speed).

> she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
> of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
> made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
> for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?

Get Hasten asap and give it at least one slot each round, so that you're
ready for 4-5 SOs when you get there. In the meantime, carry one recharge
and the rest ToHits in Build Up.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-

Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>>Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible.

> Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
> going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.

I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
that's a similar build.

--

<seansmith999@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible. At 30, Cat
> Ninetails doesn't have it yet, but she's never out of attacks unless
> she's seriously Slowed, so I'm not sure in her case if it's needed...
>
> I guess if I take Hasten with the blaster...it affects recharge on
> Build Up, so it pops more often, but how close is that to being perma?
> (assuming i've reached permaHasten)...

Not even close.

Build Up lasts for 10 seconds, which is enough time for 2-3 shots.
Unaltered recharge time is 90 seconds. My main has perma-hasten and a SO
recharge time slotted in Build Up. It comes back every 35-40 seconds (I
haven't timed it).

Also, the game can only be set to automatically restart one power.
(usually that power is hasten) That means only one of your powerscan truly
be "perma". You have to remember to fire off all the others.

Moreover, 6x recharge SOs in a power will only cut its recharge time to an
average of 1/3 of what it was before. The best you can get is having Build
Up available 10 seconds out of every 30. This drops to more like 25 seconds
if you fire it off manually and have perma-hasten. But that's a tall order.
6 SO's invested in Build Up and another 6 invested in hasten.

My character invested 6 SOs in Hasten and another 6 in Conserve Power. That
represented a major investment of funds for a 22nd level chaarcter. I may
well have cheated myself out of offensive damage done by my character's
powers.

Now the character is level 24 and I'm getting more inclined to save money
for level 30 SOs when he hits level 27 than to buy level 25 SOs now.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
> Build Up lasts for 10 seconds, which is enough time for 2-3 shots.
> Unaltered recharge time is 90 seconds. My main has perma-hasten and a
> SO recharge time slotted in Build Up. It comes back every 35-40
> seconds (I haven't timed it).

I have two ToHits (or three?) and one Recharge, plus permaHasten. It does
take some planning to fire BU just before a Zapp/Bolts combo, but not much.
And I'd say my recycle time is around 30 seconds. I know that I can do a
BU/Zapp/Bolts cycle, finish up with more ranged shots and a melee coup de
grace, and be ready for the cycle again without any undue waiting.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 13 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-
-= Always looking for reliable teammates - look me up! =-
-= See you on HEROICA! - http://www.dgath.com/coh/ =-
-= The Keybind & Macro Guide is now available! =-

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:45:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>>>Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible.
>
>> Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
>> going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.
>
>I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
>slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
>everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
>to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
>that's a similar build.

Depends on the build and/or AT. Tankers in particular don't need to
be spamming their attacks too fast, most of their defenses are
END-heavy and those need to stay running. They just need to fire off
an attack at normal speed to keep the punchvoke going.

Controllers IMO benefit alot (possibly the most) from Hasten, being
able to rapid-fire spam off your holds can make a huge difference. It
obviously helps scrappers and blasters too, but they tend to do one
thing (damage) and have multiple powers that all do that one thing in
different ways. Controllers might have one or two key powers that
need repeated rapidly, thats where a 70% recharge boost comes in handy
the most.

"Shenanigunner" <shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote in message
> "Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>> Build Up lasts for 10 seconds, which is enough time for 2-3 shots.
>> Unaltered recharge time is 90 seconds. My main has perma-hasten and a
>> SO recharge time slotted in Build Up. It comes back every 35-40
>> seconds (I haven't timed it).
>
> I have two ToHits (or three?) and one Recharge, plus permaHasten. It does
> take some planning to fire BU just before a Zapp/Bolts combo, but not
> much.
> And I'd say my recycle time is around 30 seconds. I know that I can do a
> BU/Zapp/Bolts cycle, finish up with more ranged shots and a melee coup de
> grace, and be ready for the cycle again without any undue waiting.

I have both Aim and Build Up. Both give accuracy and damage bonuses (BU
accenting damage and Aim accenting accuracy), so it's BU, Aim, Zapp.
One-shot-kills any whites, comes close on yellows and oranges. I usually
have a lightning followup queued and consider charged bolts after that. By
then BU and Aim have run their course and I'm back to normal.

I was along on a Terra Volta respec trial where one of the 8 heroes was a
29th level Controller (exemped) and the rest were 25 and 26 (with me at 24!)
facing 30's and 31's during the door mission part. The only time I could
effectively engage the bad guys was when I had the Aim and Build Up combo
going. The rest of the time, I tried, but hit about 1 in 4 times and moved
life bars just a nudge or two. I'd usually need 2-3 Aim+BU rounds to take
down one opponent. Thank the gods for the level 27 invulnerable scrapper
and the level 26 fire tanker. They got the rest of us through the mission.

Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial within a
preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level character join the
respec. Exemping doesn't help either.

--

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:39:36 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:

> Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
> within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
> character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.

Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
level spawn.

--
Chris Meadows aka | Homepage: http://www.terrania.us
Robotech_Master |

"Robotech_Master" <robotech@eyrie.org> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:39:36 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>
>> Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
>> within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
>> character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.
>
> Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
> shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
> exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
> member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
> level spawn.

This character was exemplared before. The people running the show were
pretty careful about that.

Facing 30's and 31's with the next-highest character at 27th level, I'd say
it didn't take.

Just before the reactor part of the mission, everybody logged off then back
on except one to reduce the difficulty level. The one was the level 26
tanker though it should have been my character (24). Unfortunately, when
the level 29 logged back in, she was dumped from the team and couldn't
continue.

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

chat: @vorlonagent

Vorlonagent (M), level 24 Blaster (Electric/Energy), Guardian
NightfalI (M), Level 17 Defender (Dark/Dark), Pinnacle
RolIing Thunder (F), Level 17 Defender (Storm/Electric), Infinity
Steel Night (M), Level 16 Tanker (Invulnerable/Super-Strength), Virtue
MC-2 (F), Level 16 Blaster (Force/Fire), Protector
lmpact (F), Level 15 Blaster (Gun/Energy), Virtue
Girl at the Bar (F), Level 11 Controller: Mind/Empathy, Triumph

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:45:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
<shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>Dark Tyger <darktiger@somewhere.net> wrote:
>>>Seems like most agree that Hasten is indispensible.
>
>> Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
>> going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.
>
>I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
>slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
>everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
>to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
>that's a similar build.

My Blaster was 32 without Hasten before I dropped her. I didn't pick
up Hasten on my MA/Reg scrapper until 45, and the only change in
taking it was I could drop an attack power (Along with a bit of a DPS
boost). I could have continued as I was without it just fine. Take
more attacks, and you shouldn't have to worry about waiting on
everything to recharge.

Like I said, it helps, but it's far from vital.

--
Dark Tyger

Stop the madness! (Marvel Vs Cryptic Studios petition)
http://www.petitiononline.com/marvscoh/petition.html

Hey, everyone else is doing it. Free iPod:
http://www.freeiPods.com/?r=15728814

seansmith999@hotmail.com looked up from reading the entrails of the porn
spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:
<snip>
>she just hit lvl 8, and took Build Up, which has saved my ass a couple
>of times, but I don't like the long recharge time. Can Build Up be
>made Perma? How many recharge DOs, SOs will it take? Will i have room
>for some Enhance ToHit Buffs?

Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up hasten
you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.
Enough that the energy/device blaster I made on Liberty as a change of
pace from my main scrapper soloed Frostfire pretty easily.

For travel powers, it's really up to personal preference.
SS is good, but has no vertical movement which can be a real pain in the
ass (as i'm finding with the new MA/SR who went the SS route) though the
stealth-lite effect can be VERY nice.

Hover/Fly can be a godsend for a blaster - you're squishy and want to
stay out of range of those hard hitting melee attacks. SS can do this
as well, but with a lot more running around, and if you get hit by a lag
spike or disconnect, you aren't running anymore.

Build up _can't_ be made perma.

On my MA/reg scrapper main I actually did slot up the ma version with 6
rechargers as well as having perma hasten.
[I needed the extra damage in order to beat down Giant Monsters.]

There will still be a 15 second downtime before it will be ready again.
[I just now logged on the scrapper and timed it.]

Xocyll

Jon Slamm <bite@mybutt.com> looked up from reading the entrails of the
porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 20:45:36 -0000, Shenanigunner
><shenanigunner@NOdgathSPAM.kom> wrote:

>>> Well, while it is a huge help, it's far from required. You're not
>>> going to be crippling yourself by skipping it.
>>
>>I'd disagree; it lets you dispense with Rec's on all powers and use those
>>slots for more "useful" power-ups. For soloing in particular, having
>>everything recharge so much faster is, if not indispensable, the next thing
>>to it. I don't think I could have soloed Glory past 20 without it, and
>>that's a similar build.
>
>Depends on the build and/or AT.

But since this thread is about an Energy Blaster in particular.

>Tankers in particular don't need to
>be spamming their attacks too fast, most of their defenses are
>END-heavy and those need to stay running. They just need to fire off
>an attack at normal speed to keep the punchvoke going.

This is only true if you subscribe to the "tank as meatshield" theory
where the tanker doesn't do damage, the rest of the party does.

This most certainly does NOT include all tankers.

My tanker (Kraiisahka, parked at 34 since the graphics give me a
headache) is a full out, designed for solo, offense machine using
hasten.
All shields and attacks have an end reducer in them, and she can go
several minutes full out before getting close to running out of end (at
which point I just slow down the attacks a bit to recover.)

Punchvoke and the aggro invinc generates means that she could also
function perfectly well in a team, but her job in a team is not
meatshield, it's front line assault.
A provoked mob might change targets and go after a squishie, a dead mob
doesn't have that option.

During the Striga Taskforce (Volcano), the only deaths in the team were
blasters who kept running off on their own, or got into melee range of
bosses instead of staying back where they belonged.

>Controllers IMO benefit alot (possibly the most) from Hasten, being
>able to rapid-fire spam off your holds can make a huge difference. It
>obviously helps scrappers and blasters too, but they tend to do one
>thing (damage) and have multiple powers that all do that one thing in
>different ways. Controllers might have one or two key powers that
>need repeated rapidly, thats where a 70% recharge boost comes in handy
>the most.

Any AT that is doing damage to the mobs and/or is soloing can get a gain
from hasten.
There are a few specific builds _designed_ not to use hasten.
[I played one - using Thunderkick/Air Superiority/Crippling Axe Kick for
a seamless attack chain without hasten (all 3 attacks took 2 seconds to
do and 4 seconds to recharge).]

Even the designed to be hastenless builds can get a gain from hasten,
since it counteracts slowing effects (swarms, council Galaxys, ice
attacks, etc, that would otherwise completely bollux their attack
chains.)

Xocyll

"Vorlonagent" <jt@otfresno.com> looked up from reading the entrails of
<snip>
>Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial within a
>preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level character join the
>respec. Exemping doesn't help either.

To expand on this slightly - have any range you want, BUT make sure all
the damage-dealers are the same level (or 1off) and that level is the
highest in the party.

A -5 bubbler will still be an asset to the team, a -5
scrapper/tanker/balster won't be hitting much.

Xocyll

Robotech_Master <robotech@eyrie.org> looked up from reading the entrails
of the porn spammer to utter "The Augury is good, the signs say:

>On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:39:36 GMT, Vorlonagent <jt@otfresno.com> wrote:
>
>> Hint of the day: on the TV respect: Keep everyon on the trial
>> within a preset range of three levels. Don't let one higher-level
>> character join the respec. Exemping doesn't help either.
>
>Ummmm...as long as they exemplar before you start the TF, there
>shouldn't be a problem; they're treated as the level to which they
>exemplared. I've done countless respec TFs with an exemplared party
>member and their presence never caused any sort of disproportionate
>level spawn.

You may have just gotten lucky and/or you may have hit a creature cap -
where it _would_ have spawned them at a much higher level to match the
exemplared guy's real level, but the mob types max level didn't go that
high.

There's all kinds of examples where exemplaring just doesn't really take
when it comes to generating mobs - their real level is used instead - it
keeps appearing in the forums as people find yet another example (or a
known one that they hit for the first time.)

Xocyll

Shenanigunner wrote:
> Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> > Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
> > quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up
hasten
> > you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.
>
> How do Hasten and Quickness compare? I can't find any data on the
recharge
> rates for the latter. Hasten is 35%; Quickness is "a small amount."
Doesn't
> sound like it's worth taking, to be honest - either take Hasten or
neither.

I'm not completely sure, but it seem to be about half as effective as
Hasten. Still pretty handy. Where Hasten give about 2 SO Attack Rate,
I'd guess Quickness gives 1. This will allow you to use fewer
resources to get PB, Hasten, and Elude perma'd.

Shenanigunner wrote:
> "Scorcho" <toxaristhrasoe@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I'm not completely sure, but it seem to be about half as effective
as
> > Hasten. Still pretty handy. Where Hasten give about 2 SO Attack
Rate,
> > I'd guess Quickness gives 1. This will allow you to use fewer
> > resources to get PB, Hasten, and Elude perma'd.
>
> I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking
any
> other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there
around 10-
> 12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you
can't
> take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only
advantage
> I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices;
no
> biggie given the huge advantages.
>
> What am I missing?

I can get perma-Practiced Brawler with one green SO, perma-hasten with
5 green SOs, and Perma-Elude with 4 green SOs. I think you'll use
another slot on each those powers to get them perma'd without
Quickness.

With Elude that leaves 2 slots for defense. Without quickness you'll
need to 5 slot Attack Rates and only 1 slot for Defense. Elude alone
makes quickness well worth the power slot (at least for me).

Shenanigunner wrote:

> I don't see that - you can take Hasten at what, 6? And without taking
any
> other Speed pool powers. So you can start putting slots in there
around 10-
> 12 and have 3-4 in there by the time you're to SOs. Quickness you
can't
> take until 16(?), so you'll be later getting it slotted. The only
advantage
> I can see is that Hasten means using one of your pool power choices;
no
> biggie given the huge advantages.
>
> What am I missing?

Sorry for the double response, but I am talking about getting both
Hasten and Quickness. Quickness by itself isn't much to speak of, but
added to Hasten you get a nice Attack Rate bonus.

Shenanigunner wrote:

> So Quickness, left one-slotted, builds on Hasten and lets you use one
fewer
> slot across the board? Goddit.

Right. You'd never want to add slots to it (unless you need to
increase run speed without getting SS).

In article <Sen9e.3501$J12.1422@newssvr14.news.prodigy.com>, Vorlonagent wrote:
> This character was exemplared before. The people running the show were
> pretty careful about that.
>
> Facing 30's and 31's with the next-highest character at 27th level, I'd say
> it didn't take.
>
> Just before the reactor part of the mission, everybody logged off then back
> on except one to reduce the difficulty level. The one was the level 26
> tanker though it should have been my character (24). Unfortunately, when
> the level 29 logged back in, she was dumped from the team and couldn't
> continue.

Did you remember to lower your difficulty ratings? The Terra Volta trial
takes into account your difficulty rating, so one person set on
Unyeilding or Invincible, especially if it's the leader, can end you all
up in a world of hurt.

--
--- An' thou dost not get caught, do as thou wilt shall be the law ---
"Religion disperses like a fog, kingdoms perish, but the works of

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 09:05:50 -0400, Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net>
wrote:
>Jon Slamm <bite@mybutt.com> wrote:
>
>>It obviously helps scrappers and blasters too
>
>Any AT that is doing damage to the mobs and/or is soloing can get a gain
>from hasten.

I say "it helps damage dealers too", you follow up with "no, it
*helps* damage dealers".

Usenet is a wonderful place...

Xocyll <Xocyll@kingston.net> wrote:
> Hasten ASAP. I took it at level 6 I think and slotted it up fairly
> quickly - even with SOs to make it perma, when you can fire up hasten
> you can unleash a whole lot of hurting on the baddies.

How do Hasten and Quickness compare? I can't find any data on the recharge
rates for the latter. Hasten is 35%; Quickness is "a small amount." Doesn't
sound like it's worth taking, to be honest - either take Hasten or neither.

--
-= Victory Server =-
-= Sgt Glory B: Level 29 Tech Blaster, Electric/Energy, F =-
-= RorShok: Level 14 Natural Scrapper, MA/SR, M =-