Just started overclocking, are my temps good?

ozthepyroking

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
I overclocked my FX 4300 to 4.3ghz and just wanted to know if my temps are aright. Under full load in Prime 95 my max CPU package temp is 50C.

Screenshot_12.png

Solution
... You might/may but i keep my current rig under hot load.
I3-4170 tj. is 70*C~ i keep it 80+ and still working fine (as i like quiet). motherboard is well under 50*C and i kept running this rig for 2 years still no issues.
I have 3 more rigs. All 775, I ran G31M-S2L 4.5GHz OC with 1.525V 70*C+ with chipset 80*C+ for lets say 5 months as dedicated server for files and HTCP and other stuff.

You probably don't know about power delivery, as it can go around 100*C now depends from model of motherboard and quality of it.
Usually more means better delivery and if it doesn't have dedicated cooling or heatsinks it might burn the motherboard.
The max safe temperature for motherboard IS 95*C (as for VRM on cheap motherboard can be 85*C up to...

ozthepyroking

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

I'm using an MSI 760GMA-p34

ozthepyroking

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017

These are my current temps with some programs open and surfing the web

Screenshot_13.png

Well if it doesn't overheat, just keep an eye on temperatures, that motherboard isn't good for overclocking.
That motherboard supports FX-8XXX. But if you "Ever" buy an FX-8XXX don't OC.

I suggest you not to try any higher.
Because the chipset is "ehm" not good at it, its like an entry level motherboard.
I think it has 4+1?

UPDATE: Umm 14*C? Just check with Hwinfo64 to be sure...?
What do you use for cooling? (just for sake of knowing why 14*C XD )
I think the monitor is a bit off, check temperatures in bios if HWINFO reports same.

ozthepyroking

Prominent
Dec 31, 2017
I got the PC pre-built a couple of years back, so I think it's the stock cooler. And I've already double checked that idle temp with a few other hw monitors and they all say the same. Just to be safe I'm dialing it back to 4ghz.

EDIT* CPU fan is at 100% all the time so that might explain the low idle temps

saksham_1

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Looks like we cannot trust you sensors reading of 50C under fu load.So we really don't know the actual temperature under full load.This means even though it will tell you 50c , it can be even at 70-75C

saksham_1

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Looks like we cannot trust you sensors reading of 50C under full load.So we really don't know the actual temperature under full load.This means even though it will tell you 50c , it can be even at 70-75C

saksham_1

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Looks like we cannot trust you sensors reading of 50C under full load.So we really don't know the actual temperature under full load.This means even though it will tell you 50c , it can be even at 70-75C

saksham_1

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Looks like we cannot trust your sensors reading of 50C under full load.So we really don't know the actual temperature under full load.This means even though it will tell you 50c , it can be even at 70-75C

saksham_1

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Robert I might disagree with you in this particular scenario as the sensor might be broken and as a result the real temperature under load is unknown which therefore may damage the cpu.

... You might/may but i keep my current rig under hot load.
I3-4170 tj. is 70*C~ i keep it 80+ and still working fine (as i like quiet). motherboard is well under 50*C and i kept running this rig for 2 years still no issues.
I have 3 more rigs. All 775, I ran G31M-S2L 4.5GHz OC with 1.525V 70*C+ with chipset 80*C+ for lets say 5 months as dedicated server for files and HTCP and other stuff.

You probably don't know about power delivery, as it can go around 100*C now depends from model of motherboard and quality of it.
Usually more means better delivery and if it doesn't have dedicated cooling or heatsinks it might burn the motherboard.
The max safe temperature for motherboard IS 95*C (as for VRM on cheap motherboard can be 85*C up to 105*C) as if CPU goes over temperature the safe kicks in and turns off the PC, same goes for GPU.
R7 250 80+ for over 5 years with 1.3V on it (see superposition benchmark thread).
775 rig burned marks for overheating on rear io shield, burn marks around power delivery, because my motherboard read 50*C but actually it is 100*C+.

You actually didn't overclock, neither experienced it. Reading stuff might help you.

You can argue with me all day long but ill prove you over and over again that you're wrong.

"Looks like we cannot trust you sensors reading of 50C under full load.So we really don't know the actual temperature under full load.This means even though it will tell you 50c , it can be even at 70-75C"

As i said, sensors might be reading wrong.
Depends now from which stock cooler (some are copper based and have better resoult, some are aluminium).
The temperature readout might be right, because EIST and other stuff can downclock and downvolt the actuall CPU to perserve power.

Overclocking the CPU overclock depends from 2 factors, temperature and voltage.
More voltage=higher temperature
But if you cool it down enough with wrong voltage it will degrade the controller ONTO CPU itself and over the years it might cause to increasing voltage till it cannot go any higher.

"sensor might be broken and as a result the real temperature under load is unknown which therefore may damage the cpu."

Did i say that sensor might be reading wrong? "What do you use for cooling? (just for sake of knowing why 14*C XD )
I think the monitor is a bit off, check temperatures in bios if HWINFO reports same."

As i might said reading might help you http://www.overclock.net/forum/10-amd-cpus/943109-about-vrms-mosfets-motherboard-safety-125w-tdp-processors.html#

Solution

saksham_1

Commendable
May 1, 2016
Oh I didn't noticed you have a r7 250.Actually I have a r7 240,a great little beast,modded the bios and now it runs on a whopping 1300mhz.Had to change the stock heat sink as it reached above 95C .I know 95c is very hot .So I now need your help,can you tell me is there anyway to push the card even harder?vcore voltages are already 1275mv. About 125mv higher than stock.