[SOLVED] Just today did the free upgrade to Win10 from Win7 but wondering where the key is

echolane

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I just downloaded Windows 10 from the Microsoft.com website. This is the free download that Microsoft started offering when Win10 was first released. I got the idea to do this after reading this article (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-windows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/) on CNET. It took about half an hour plus to install and upgrade but now I am up and running on Windows 10 Pro and it didn’t cost a dime. This was an upgrade to Win7 Pro. Pretty amazing that this free download from Microsoft still works. But now I’m wondering about the authentication key. I did see something flash by that I’d get a key when this was all done, but I did not see an option like that afterwards. I do have a valid retail license for Windows 7 Pro. Is that all I’d need if I ever have to reinstall Win10 fresh? Or what will I do if I want to upgrade to the successor to Windows 10?

Solution
I just downloaded Windows 10 from the Microsoft.com website. This is the free download that Microsoft started offering when Win10 was first released. I got the idea to do this after reading this article (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-windows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/) on CNET. It took about half an hour plus to install and upgrade but now I am up and running on Windows 10 Pro and it didn’t cost a dime. This was an upgrade to Win7 Pro. Pretty amazing that this free download from Microsoft still works. But now I’m wondering about the authentication key. I did see something flash by that I’d get a key when this was all done, but I did not see an option like that afterwards. I do...
I just downloaded Windows 10 from the Microsoft.com website. This is the free download that Microsoft started offering when Win10 was first released. I got the idea to do this after reading this article (https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-download-windows-10-for-free-now-that-windows-7-is-dead/) on CNET. It took about half an hour plus to install and upgrade but now I am up and running on Windows 10 Pro and it didn’t cost a dime. This was an upgrade to Win7 Pro. Pretty amazing that this free download from Microsoft still works. But now I’m wondering about the authentication key. I did see something flash by that I’d get a key when this was all done, but I did not see an option like that afterwards. I do have a valid retail license for Windows 7 Pro. Is that all I’d need if I ever have to reinstall Win10 fresh? Or what will I do if I want to upgrade to the successor to Windows 10?

The key is logged against the hardware id of your motherboard - so if you re-install Windows 10 it will recognise the hardware and activate automatically. The only issue with this is if you do an upgrade, however if you use an online Microsoft account there is a function to transfer the licence (officially if you build a new machine you have to pay for a new licence however replacing parts due to a 'motherboard failure' is permitted). If the online method doesn't work you can also phone Microsoft and they can re-activate Windows 10 that way after a major hardware change.

Reactions: echolane
Solution