[SOLVED] (Just) top row of keyboard won't respect Shift key. Fixable?

Mar 11, 2021
Hi, have an old well loved wired Logitech Y-UV90 which started acting up a few days ago. The top row (Q through P and braces) has the following problem but it does not affect any of the other rows.

Letters type fine in either lower case or upper case when CAPS-LOCK is on but you can't get it to output either A) a capital letter by holding down Shift when CL is off or B) a lower case with Shift when CL is on.

Left and right hard brackets are output regardless of CL state and curly braces cannot be produced at all which is problematic when programming!

The issue appears to be the keyboard itself and not my system as the problem immediately goes away when a different keyboard is plugged in (a reboot didn't fix it either).

Thought I'd ask the community if something like this is fixable or whether it's a writeoff.

Solution
tried keyboard on another PC?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

since you used another keyboard, I assume it didn't use same drivers as Logitech so it could be the fact it doesn't use Logitech Gaming Software that is reason other one works fine.

Colif

Win 11 Master
tried keyboard on another PC?

Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

since you used another keyboard, I assume it didn't use same drivers as Logitech so it could be the fact it doesn't use Logitech Gaming Software that is reason other one works fine.

Solution
Say there is a mechanical/electrical fault in the keyboard.

Good news: It's probably fixable.

Not so good news: It may be an internal wiring that is defect, and that can be hard to fix because it often isn't ordinary pcb tracks, but some semi-conductive material that is glued on a plastic sheet (soldering won't work) - or it can be a crack just at the point of a button, so that any attempt to repair would make a bump that make the closest button not being able to hit bottom and hence not working.