Just tried overclocking my 3570k

zpwslayer

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2012
Hi, I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu. I'm using an Asrock Pro 4, and an Intel 3570k. I would like to try to get to 4ghz on the stock cooler, but I dont have much experience with Intel cpu's and I dont know if this is possible or if its a good idea to try with the stock cooler. Right now its overclocked to 3600 and the temps are reaching 73 average on full load. Ive heard its not good to go outside the 70's so I dont know if I should try to push it any further. Thanks.

Solution
Stock Cooler and 3570K should not be used in the same paragraph. Ivy Bridge runs hot, WAY HOT.

Either ante up for a decent cooler, or sell the 3570K and get a 3570 :D

On a serious note 4ghz may be possible. Read some guides. I don't know what software you are using to stress test, so its hard to say.

Do yourself a favor and use a fixxed voltage, not "Auto". Using "Auto" voltage in your BIOS may send too much voltage to your chip, and being as you are on a crappy cooler - potentially get too hot and damage something

The 3570K TJMAX is 105C. I personally would not push much past 80C

Keep in mind after you find your stable OC threshold, normal applications should not make your chip near as hot as running Prime95 or similar.

For...

Adroid

Distinguished
Stock Cooler and 3570K should not be used in the same paragraph. Ivy Bridge runs hot, WAY HOT.

Either ante up for a decent cooler, or sell the 3570K and get a 3570 :D

On a serious note 4ghz may be possible. Read some guides. I don't know what software you are using to stress test, so its hard to say.

Do yourself a favor and use a fixxed voltage, not "Auto". Using "Auto" voltage in your BIOS may send too much voltage to your chip, and being as you are on a crappy cooler - potentially get too hot and damage something

The 3570K TJMAX is 105C. I personally would not push much past 80C

Keep in mind after you find your stable OC threshold, normal applications should not make your chip near as hot as running Prime95 or similar.

For example, I am running a 3570K with a 30$ cooler master EVO @ 4.3GHZ.
During stress tests, I hit high 70C. During gaming for hours, I hit high 50C

Solution