Question Just updated mobo, OS and SSD, how do I get original desktop back

Feb 19, 2019
My HDD has all my desktop and local user setting from Win 7. I installed Win 10 onto my new SSD, but I don't want to change everything manually to my old user if I don't have to. Also, can I make my HDD my main (C:) drive when windows is installed on my SSD? I just want the SSD to be secondary.

Impu7se

Commendable
Feb 13, 2019
You won’t be able to make drive secondary where windows is installed. I’m not sure that will you be able to bring your desktop from the hdd. Personal files no problem, but the desktop your new drive has no idea and info about them and that they were downloaded on win 7 only makes the situation harder.

Reactions: Heisennn
You can try the free version of EaseUS Todo PCTrans. It lets you move user accounts on local disks. Unfortunately MS never made a good tool for this. Which is odd. Apple has had it for years.

Generally I recommend moving user files yourself (less buggy afterwards). You can also transfer many program settings between the hidden AppData folders. Just don't do a straight transfer for the Microsoft folders within AppData.

The drive holding the OS must be the main drive [C:]. Things get really screwy when it is not the C: drive.

Reactions: Heisennn