[SOLVED] Just upgraded CPU, having overheating issues when playing VR titles.

Jan 7, 2019
I just recently installed a new SSD, replacing my HDD but using that for extra storage. That worked just fine. The next day, I installed my *used* processor I just purchased. At first, it shut off within 20 seconds of booting then logging into Windows. Checked to make sure the stock fan was secured, and it was. Ran again, same problem but got around a whole minute of web browsing before that crash. Decided to check the BIOS and it was resting at around 70°C if I remember correctly (although I freaked out so I didn't sit there and monitor it for longer than 10 seconds). I thought this was a bit high, so I turned it off for a while to eat. Later, I unplugged the old HDD and my DVD drive, it worked for a good 1-2 hours, I even played some CPU heavy VR titles, although it eventually crashed in the middle of playing (wasn't monitoring temps.) The next day (today), I downloaded RealTemp. It has been running for 30 minutes now and the highest core peak was 68°C only 4 minutes after starting RealTemp. They seem to be resting at around 29-34°C just browsing the web.

Do you think that CPU overheating caused the crashes that happened shortly after booting? And during VR play?

Also, why did these crashes become rarer when I took out my HDD and DVD drive (that I still haven't reinstalled)?

Any input would be great, thank you in advance!

Edit:

CPU: i7-4790K with stock cooling

mobo: Z97MX-GAMING 5

GPU: Sapphire RX 580 8GB Nitro+ Special Edition

When I launched VR Chat and loaded into a room with about 19 people, my temps reached 100°C, and rested at around 80. I shut it off only minutes after being in there as I don't want to sit at that high of temperatures for too long. I don't think I mounted my stock fan wrong, as it has no wiggle room.

Solution
I highly recommend an aftermarket heatsink or AIO. Did you reapply thermal paste when you installed it? Try to set your cpu fan at max at all time to prevent spikes in the mean time but I believe that this is an overheating issue. I recommend at least a 212 evo or better but a cryorig h7 is better for a little bit more money

The stock cooler (especially with stock thermal paste) isn’t very good at all. How many case fans do you have? I’d recommend getting Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste and apply that to the cooler, and that might help with the temps if you don’t want to buy a new cooler.

winks42

Respectable
I highly recommend an aftermarket heatsink or AIO. Did you reapply thermal paste when you installed it? Try to set your cpu fan at max at all time to prevent spikes in the mean time but I believe that this is an overheating issue. I recommend at least a 212 evo or better but a cryorig h7 is better for a little bit more money

Solution
I agree that the stock cooler isn't great, but it should be enough to avoid shut downs. You said you bought a used Cpu, what stock cooler are you using? One off your last Cpu, or did you get one with the new *used* Cpu? How hot is it in the room where you game? Like I said, the stock cooler that is shipped with the 4790k should be enough to allow gaming as long as most other things are normal, like ambient temperature and no overclocking.

Dugimodo

Distinguished
Agree with previous comments and would like to add intel stock coolers are very easy to get wrong when re using, you need to check all four push pins are fully locked through the motherboard. Very often one corner can be not quite engaged and the cooling compromised. Sometimes you need to manually slide the white sleeve around the pins back into it's proper position before trying to mount the cooler, they don't always sit right after being removed.

And to agree with Swordkd, not all intel stock coolers are the same so you need the right one for the CPU, some have larger heatsinks and/or copper inserts to improve their performance and some are smaller and solid aluminium. If the TDP of your old CPU is lower than the new one it's likely the cooler from it is not good enough.

And to add to the comment about thermal paste, any time you remove a heatsink the paste needs to be cleaned off and reapplied, even if it's new. Air pockets and dust particles get into the paste and reduce it's effectiveness. There are plenty of youtube video guides on how to do this.