Review Just upgraded Ryzen 3900x stock Wraith Prism to Water 3 RGB and... wow the difference!

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
I have a new Ryzen 3900x with an Auros RTX 2090ti Xtreme and Gigabyte Master x570.

I decided to give the stock Wraith Prism air fan a spin since it had such good reviews/props from a lot of reviewers so far.

I have done minimal overclocking, and a lot of benchmarking. I am just taking my time as I am not an expert and am not in a hurry to overclock every aspect of the machine.

After 3 weeks of usage and benchmarking, I can say with confidence that the Wraith Prism keeps the Ryzen 3900x around 40-45 celcius for me on idle. It easily hit 90-95 celcius during benchmarking and stress tests. This really worried me, and the consistently high 80-90 C while gaming made me decide to give a Thermaltake Water 3 RGB 360mm fan a shot.

The directions for both my thermaltake full tower and this thermaltake fan are consistently pretty bad and minimalist to the extreme. But despite that, I got everything installed correctly and started benchmarking. And holy... the difference is incredible.

Idle temps were at 31 celsius vs up to 45 celsius with the Wraith Prism. Not only that, but the stress testing and max temps were even more incredible. The same stress testing that maxed my core's temps at 95 C with the Wrait Prism maxed out at 72 C with the Thermaltake. Gaming on high settings that kept the CPU at between 80-90 C before are now 60-70 C.

I was under the impression that the best air fans like Noctua's, and apparently (to a lesser extent) Wraith Prisms too, were only slightly (if noticeably) better than your average basic watercooling setup. Based on some of the video comparison's I've watched on Youtube, that also seems to be the case.

Is this a normal increase in cooling capacity? Was my Wraith Prism a little bit sub par? Its about a 25% increase in better thermals overall. Very much worth the $130 price tag vs ~$75 dollar average for a higher quality air cooler.

(I am using Ryzen Master and CPU-Z to measure the various ambient stats. Cinebench CPU as well under load.)

Last edited:

rigg42

Respectable
Oct 17, 2018
I suspected the prism would struggle with the 3900x. It should be a better match for the 8 core sku's. Now I'm a bit worried the scythe fuma 2 i picked out for my 3900x build might struggle. If i could find a 3900x in stock somewhere I could find out for myself.

Reactions: tsibiski

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
It runs VERY hot. You might want to beef up the cooling. I suspect that you will end up wanting to do that after you see your air fan's benchmarks.

Also worth noting; after upgrading the fan, and re-running Cinebench, my score went from 6700 to 7100.

Reactions: rigg42