[SOLVED] Just want some feedback on how should deal with a ram issue.

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Hi guys,
Recently got the Corsair RGB Pro SL 3600 MHz 2x16gb ram from microcenter. Computer crashed when I installed the ram and clocked it at 3600 MHz, so I dialed it back to 3200 Mhz and it was stable. Did a memtest86 test on both sticks and clocks of 3200 Mhz and 3600 Mhz and found that only one of my ram sticks started having errors when clocked at 3600 Mhz. I was wondering whether it was worth it to exchange my ram for new one or whether it sort of silicon lottery deal with ram and not to worry about it? I just thought that if ram was rated for 3600 Mhz that it would be able to run at the speed especially if its coming from a brand like corsair.

Also I know people usually asks for specs when dealing with hardware issues so here is what I'm working with:

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x clocked at 4.325 Ghz

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Ti GAMING 8G

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 3600 Mhz (2x16gb) however I'm only using the one stick that goes up to 3600 Mhz currently

MB: Steel legend B550

Storage: WD Blue 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3D NAND

Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SSD

Storage: Toshiba P300 2TB

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P500A

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS GX-850 80 plus gold

Last edited:
Solution
Could you explain how I would check this using cpu z.
Install stick one. Run the PC, run cpu-z, do the screenshot of SPD tab (of the slot you installed the stick). Power down, swap the sticks, repeat. Load pictures to some hosting service (like imgur) and link here.
(Sorry for long reply, didn't get the alert about your answer)

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
Yes, but not forget about limitations of you CPU (which you did not listed). The fact that given set of sticks was tested and found working with 3600 speed does not mean it will be able to reach that speed on your mobo/CPU setup.
Oops I'll add the cpu to the original post but it is a ryzen 7 3700x clocked at 4.325 Ghz at 1.44375 volts. But as I mentioned before one of the sticks worked at that clocked speed which I believe means that it is not a mobo issue. Also checked whether the ram slot was the issue and it seems not to be the case.

themajorzeldagamer

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I think something went wrong with that batch of ram. I went to exchange the sticks for some new ones and they had the same issue. Went back a third time and they let me keep the old pair and gave me a new pair. The new pair had the same issue, but since one worked at 3600 from the old pair and from the new pair, I now have 2 sticks of ram that work at 3600.