[SOLVED] Just will not boot to my existing UEFI SSD in my new motherboard

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
I have just upgraded my motherboard and CPU to ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E Gaming + i9-10900 S. My old motherboard and CPU were EVGA X99 classified and i7-5930K. The reason for upgrade was that my PC wouldn't boot up 5 days ago. After numerous emails to EVGA technical and EVGA forum. Prior to that I actually replaced the PSU and memory modules. To cut a long story short, after installing the new motherboard and CPU, the system booted up to the BIOS whereas I couldn't do that with the previous motherboard and CPU. I only changed the Secure Boot setting from "Other OS" to "Window UEFI Mode". In previous system, I have 1 x 2TB SSD as boot drive. 1 x 1TB as Game drive, 1 x 3 TB WD black as data drive and 1 x 6 TB WD Black as backup drive. Oh, and a LG Bluray writer. These are all detected by the new motherboard.
When I restarted the system, a message saying, "The system found unauthorized changes on the firmware, operating system or UEFI drivers. Press [OK] to run the next boot device, or enter directly to BIOS Setup if there are no other boot devices installed. Go to BIOS Setup > BOOT and change the current boot device into other secured boot devices." There is no other bootable device. Window 7 Ultimate Pro 64 bit was installed on the 2TB SSD. Although it was quite some time ago, I distinctly remembered that UEFI was selected. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Drive+OS and new motherboard, and it fails to boot up?
That is a usual result.

Time for a new clean install on the new hardware. There is no magic fix.

RealBeast

Titan
Detach all except the intended boot drive. Go into the bios advanced features under the tools tab and secure erase the boot drive (described in section 9.2 of your recently updated MANUAL. Then disable any rapid boot mode, enable UEFI as before, disable CSM (usually the default). And install from your USB installer stick of known quality.

Alexoferith

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2013
Detach all except the intended boot drive. Go into the bios advanced features under the tools tab and secure erase the boot drive (described in section 9.2 of your recently updated MANUAL. Then disable any rapid boot mode, enable UEFI as before, disable CSM (usually the default). And install from your USB installer stick of known quality.

Thank you very much for your quick response. But I don't want to erase my SSD. Is this the only way? I don't have fibre optics. It will take me a few days to download everything again.... sigh. Your help is much appreciated.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you very much for your quick response. But I don't want to erase my SSD. Is this the only way? I don't have fibre optics. It will take me a few days to download everything again.... sigh. Your help is much appreciated.
Not wanting to do a full wipe and reinstall of everything is a normal thought process.

However, when presented with a new and different motherboard, your old OS install may have different ideas.

If it does not boot up, there is no magic fix.

Reactions: RealBeast

RealBeast

Titan
Agree with all of the above points. You can't just slap an OS drive into a new board, especially when the board requires Windows 10 and you have Windows 7.

Backup is your friend in these situations. You can try to get access to another computer and remove important data before the wipe to do the new install.

TRENDING THREADS