Just wondering..How hot would you take an FX CPU?

How hot is too hot for an FX CPU?

• AMD suggests 62C, That's it! No Higher!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • TJ max is variable, and CPU makers always low ball. 80C

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 70c, it seems to be the best bet

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Users suggest it may be as high as 95C.

• Some forum users say 115C is absolute max before throttling.

• Phenom IIs can hit 160C. Same thing for BD.

• Can't burn up CPUs anymore. Skies the limit!

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters
Pretty simple, on AMD's website it suggests a max safe operating temp of 62C. However most of us know that manufacturers suggest a low temperature so they have less returns to worry about. In particular, AMD is notorious for low balling the safe operating temp. Some forum posts suggest that Phenom II chips can handle 160C or higher.

So, in your opinion what should the average overclocker deem too hot? My FX 8120 likes to run at 4.4Ghz just fine with idle temps sitting around 30C. Even while gaming, it might get to about 50C which is certainly no problem and probably what most folks encounter under load.

But--when running stress tests I've seen it climb as high as 70C. These things were built for overclocking, and can definitely handle some heat but when do you say holy crap and shut everything down?

And how long at 70C is too long? 5 minutes? less? I'd really like your opinions and please share your experiences with wicked high temps!

I was hitting 70c under full load when stress testing my FX-8120 with stock heatsink. Order a XSPC 750 RS240 the next day. I am running 4ghz with multiplier only overclock and now run 25c idle and have never hit more than 35c full load. Personally if you are going to overclock the FX CPU I would most defiantly water cool.

I am running 4 120mm fans on my rad in a push/pull and it is still quieter than the stock fan when it would ramp up it sounded like a jet taking off!

walterminty

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
You have to ask yourself, how long you want the CPU to last for? Do you want it for many years to come, working flawlessly? Then don't exceed 10-20% above AMD's suggestions. However if you looking to upgrade every year or so; then go for it! But water cooling is the right way to go, ditch the stock coolers.

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009
Intel suggests 72C for 2500K as a package temperature.

I've always measured core temps - which are always higher than the package temperature.

I wont let my 2500k go past 60C per core, it sits at 49C on the lowest core and 54C on the highest, OC'd On Air. (45C Package temp ish)

This is purely from an Intel POV but the same goes for AMD Cpus, the higher the temp, the higher the power consumption and the lower the lifetime.

I wouldn't recommend letting any of those Bulldozer Modules go past 50C

This. I voted 80C, but not I don't mean continuously.

I am using the Antec 620 cooler while small I am quite impressed with the performance. I never use the stock cooler for overclocking-ever!
Which most people I've talked to says should allow me to exceed the suggested max.

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Temps seem a bit high, even with the 620 cooler. What voltage are you pushing when stress testing? Mine on my original loop never got over 49c 4.7 ghz(low speed fans + old delta v3), new setup is below 35c( sli + raystorm on 2x 240 rads). Bd is not a hot running chip unless set up that way, could be settings or heatsink not seated properly.

OK, good responses!

So I didn't build a prime 95 machine, I built a gaming machine. I am not even getting close to 60C while maxing out on Skyrim, or any other software. The most time I have allowed at 70C has been one minute. When stress testing I shut down immediately when it hits 70C.

Interesting what you say about my temps being high. I don't really think so since it idles at 30 and loads around 45C. So here's what I have done so far.
FX 8120 @ 4.4Ghz
Core voltage - 1.375V, this was necessary to achieve stability at 4.4Ghz.
Corsair Vengeance 1866 @ 1.5V Normal timings.

I have the 620 in a push pull with an enermax fan running at 1800-1900 rpm(push), I have the Antec fan running at 1800rpm, it would barely hit 1000 rpm in auto mode. I do not allow for auto fan as the rpms drop rapidly so I run at full speed all the time. It is running cooler since going to full speed, about 3C cooler.

I have a fan from my Spire Thermax that goes to 2200rpm and a lot more cfm that I want to try, but they get pretty loud at full speed. I would replace the Antec fan.

The one unorthodox thing I have done is mount the rad upside down, with the tubes on the bottom. It should not make any difference, but I want to turn it around to see if there is any change in temps.
Thanks for your responses.

ebalong

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011

Hmmmm.....is the "Package" temperature readout on CPUID Hardware Monitor the same as TCase? Because that particular sensor always has the highest temp reading (higher than the individual cores) - maxed at 68C when running my 2500K on Prime95 at 4.5GHz after ~4 hours. Highest core temp reading for that run was 66C.

I had Core Temp monitoring also; that one doesn't have a "package" reading, but the individual cores read a little higher than on Hardware Monitor - 68 for the hottest core.

The temps I am reporting are core temps, as measured by speedfan and also reported in AMD overdrive. Currently my CPU temp (ambient) is 30C and my core temp is 21C. I have my sliding glass door open its about 60F outside. Plus it was asleep moments ago.
OK now my cores are at 26C. I typically ignore ambient CPU readings, core temps are what you need to follow closely.

Core temp is program that I don't care for too much, its much more effective for Intel CPUs. I like speedfan so I can monitor fan speeds, but I have always found AMD overdrive to be extremely accurate when reading core temps. Or most reliable, anyway.

I am impressed with the Twin Frozer III version of the HD 6950. The GPU idles about 36C and load is about 45C. The fans are very quiet, it spins up a bit before loading windows but that's the loudest it ever gets. I have not found the need to manage the fan speed, but I also have not done any overclocking to the GPU.

I am waiting to do the majority of my testing when I move into my new home, a full tower phantom that's being modded and should be finished in about two weeks.

I didn't see an answer I could honestly suggest as I think 80c is too high, I would prefer to say around 70c under Prime is fine.

But you have to be very careful as normally overclocking leads to increased voltage which means higher chances of electro migration. Keeping your CPU cool is one thing, avoiding electro migration is another.

I enjoy seeing people overclock like crazy but I will only overclock within the standard recommended voltage, maybe a bit higher at most.

Good point, 70C should be one of the responses. I'm afraid I don't know how to edit the poll... :sweat:

I was able to edit it for ya but it seems that the poll was reset. Didn't know that. Sorry, first time doing that.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

deadjon

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2009

Strange, I've never had my TCase (Package) higher than the individual cores. That heat spreader must be getting warm :p

Its nothing to worry about, I completely ignore my TCase anyway.

I'm guessing that because yours has a higher temperature than mine the heat spreader on the CPU conducts more heat and as a result gets hotter and equals the heat of the cores (according to CoreTemp). Just a guess though

I would always user CoreTemp over anything else, the reason it doesn't have a 'Package' reading is due to the fact that it is irrelevant. My ASUS AISuite Sensor only displays the package temp, and its always much lower. Annoyingly I have to set my CPU Cooler speed based on my TCase/Package.

Prime95 uses all your cores unlike current games. Future game tho will start spiking your temps. I must caution you against expecting the same down the road. Many games get updated for better Parallelism on a regular basics. Make sure you set your shutdown temp in bios to a reasonable level so you know when its being over heated.

I doubt it. Quad cores have been mainstream for 5 years (Q6600) and they still have not caught up to it. Its mainly since most games are console ports.

I would say in another 5 years games may use a 2500K/FX-8150 to their fullest but even then its hard to say that since to this day a Q6600 at 3GHz is still a decent gaming CPU.

True but the most current consoles are that old or older. In the next year or 2 new consoles are coming out so this isn't something that can be banked on. Leaks of the xbox 720 for instance suggest the CPU will be future fusion based AMD chip. Trinity is set to have upto 4 cores and vishner possible 10 coming late this year. Consoles some times have a bit better hardware at launch than we can get so its possible the new xbox could be 8 cores.

Some games are not console ports which may be the greater risk. Given this is depend all games the OP may play one simply can't make the assumption all his games will be console ports. Multiboxing 8 WoW accounts could push the CPU over 60 Celsius right now.

Did you mean the 2600K/FX-8150 because these 2 can run 8 threads? The 2500K can only run 4 threads. Currently BF3 utilize nearly 4 cores on the 8150 and about 3.5 on the 2600k.
FX-8150.png

Core_i7_2600K.png

Huh? When's the last time you had a game max all your cores out? Even a quad core? What I see there is 35% utilization.
The only thing I've ever seen take all my core above 50% utilization is a stress test. No, there aren't any games now nor in the near future that will be utilizing my cores to the maximum.

BTW, I did some more testing and I found my CPU to be rock solid at 1.365V. Now when stress testing I hit 65C, which I can live with. I am still hoping moving to my new home plus a new certified gold power supply will get me tighter voltages and better overclocking capabilities.

Also found out my UD5 is coming tomorrow, so it may be a bit better than the UD3. We'll see.

If BF3 is utilizing quad cores, then all the benchmarks are wrong. Every last benchmark shows that BF3 performs the same on a Intel Core i3, i5 and i7. It performs a bit slower on a 2 core FX, thats because its not a 100% dual core, but with 4, 6 and 8 cores it performs the same:

intel%20core%20i7-2600k%20cores.png

amd%20fx-8150%20cores.png

The game is very GPU bound.

One game that needs at least 3 cores, is GTA IV but thats because the engine was designed around the 360, then ported to the PS3 and PC.

Sorry that should have been threads for the i7 as 34% utilization isn't even half the cores. I have to disagree on the i3 as its nearly a fps behind. Where this matter is higher resolutions. IE the hyper threading test shows gains in high resolutions where more utilization occurs CPU for small improvements in FPS.
hyper-threading.png

The i3 is a full fps behind the i5 at the same clock rate.
CPU_02.png

masmotors

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
i also have the 620 its great and all but on prime my got to 67 and not 70 i had on 4.3 now left on 4.0 only multi and voltage to 1.42 is that good or to high low on my voltage uefi bios

TRENDING THREADS